Anyway, first let's understand that there are two things at work here. There are my Sims, the game I'm using to tell this story, with their pixelated 3-dimensional personas (or would it be 2-D?), their personality points and wants panels, who live inside the game and are really just as Sim-like as anybody else's Sims are.
Then, there are my characters in this story, who are inspired by these very ordinary Sims, who have been granted human emotions and depth by their creator (=me, lol!), and who are living in a realistic human world, somewhere off the coast of Lake Michigan in the year 2082. This is a future not very much unlike the present we are living in now - there are no flying cars and people don't walk around in metallic silver suits.
Do you remember seeing Back to the Future II when we were younger, back in the '80's, where they imagined the human race of 2015 or so to have flying cars, hover-scooters, and everyone dressed up like tin foil? That doesn't look very likely to happen, does it? ;)
So anyway, Orion Deppiesse was born in the year 2033. At the time of his birth, doctors could find nothing medically different about him except for his unusual skin color and eyes, so they dismissed his father as a nut-job and just labeled his condition a "pigmentation disorder." Orion then spent his youth trying to deal with the difference between his father's fantastical story versus the rest of the world who said he was "just a freak."
I have never mentioned the exact point at which the human race "discovered" for public knowledge the existence of other life in the universe. So let's imagine it was around the 2040's or so, since that was when Orion would have been in college, and went through extensive measures to alter his appearance to look more human. This was also the point he began wearing contacts to cover his eyes, and did so all the way until lightning destroyed them and he decided not to find replacements but wear sunglasses instead.
I have hinted throughout this story that the Deppiesse family tries to keep their heritage a secret. Mostly because they don't feel anyone would believe it (and why should they?), but now especially because of the alien war going on. For a short time, before this alien conflict came to light, Orion began to go without wearing his contacts or sunglasses. He did so for about a year and a half before this discussion with his brother prompted him to start wearing the glasses again.
Keep in mind, Orion is a very shy man (0 outgoing points), and if I remember correctly, he does not have ANY friends except for immediate family. He works as a game designer, which I imagine to be a pretty secluded job, and he runs a robot shop (which I haven't really shown much of yet), but he has his girls run the shop floor for him. So if Orion is the most alien-looking of this family, he is also largely unseen by most people.
Violet also shared some of her thoughts on her family's public image recently. And since this is the town Orion grew up in, if he looks different, it is old town knowledge/rumor that it is because of a genetic condition. Maybe some people might have their suspicions, but nobody really knows the honest truth of Orion's heritage except for Kent Deppiesse, who is long since dead. Orion believes the story, and Cabe being a high-level military man, privy to the intelligence he has, also believes. Very few other people outside of family actually know about this - maybe just one person actually, Dallas told Lucy.
And now Mariah knows as well, though she doesn't exactly believe it. She just figures a mostly normal-looking twelve year-old girl imagined up some story from the news headlines, and as is her job, she is only interested in why Dakota might make up such a story. Maybe at some point, Mariah might find reason to change her mind.
Some further "future history" (what do you call this, the history of a made-up future?) was also discussed here.
I know this story is long, and I like to drop subtle hints or clues throughout the story, rather than dropping huge chunks of history or technicalities all at once, and I know sometimes that might be easily read over. But I don't want anyone to be confused. A lot of this will probably be relevant to future stories, so if you have any questions, ask away! :)
***
ETA: There's also quite a bit more back story about Orion here, pertaining mostly to his meeting and falling in love with Violet.
ETA1.5: For reference, a copy/paste of the Deppiesse family tree:
The Deppiesse/McCullough Family:
Kent Deppiesse, (M/D) Eliza (Brant) Anderson, (M) Felicia Deppiesse
(by E.) Claire (Depiesse) Bradshaw, (M) Andy Bradshaw
Amelia Bradshaw
(abduction) Orion Deppiesse, (M) Violet Deppiesse
Dallas Deppiesse
Delphie Deppiesse
Dakota Deppiesse
(by F.) Brooke (Deppiesse) McCullough , (M) Phoenix McCullough
Fiona McCullough
Robert "Robbie" McCullough
Connor McCullough
(by F.) Cabe Deppiesse, (M) Ashlee (Wolonsko) Deppiesse
Natalia Deppiesse
ETA2: Pictures!!!






Thanks a lot. I appreciate the complexity. I am looking forward to see how this alien conflict will afect the citizens of Lakeside Heights (though on a personal level, I'm kind of freaked out for them!).
ReplyDeleteOh, and only "Kent" completely knows about Orion's alien origins? Ha, I just caught that...and Back to the Future 2 is more hilarious to watch as the years go by.
I have a lot of reading a head of me! I know part of the history since I'm not "too" new of a follower here. I'm definitely interested in reading the back stories, especially with the older posts, I never went back that far.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to write this up and link it out.
And LOL on the back to the future.. I totally remember watching that when I was little and thinking, holy cow, I'll be alive then, and that's going to be crazy! (Thank goodness it's not really like that, I would't want to be a tin woman).
This was an interesting post. I always wondered about the whole story of the Deppiesse family. It's very complex lol...I can only imagine what their family tree (including Claire and the others) must look like. I was just wondering, do people know that Kent gave birth to Orion, or do they assume that his wife gave birth to Orion?
ReplyDeleteI'm really finding this alien war story very exciting, even though I usually ignore the supernatural aspects of the game. I can't wait to see how it pans out. I love how you've written Orion's heritage into the story in a way which seems believable and natural. His family are definitely one of my favourites. When I first started reading this blog I had to read the Deppiesse posts a couple of times because their whole family tree is so confusing!
ReplyDeleteYou guys know about this family tree, right? It's linked in the sidebar. It's nothing fancy, but at least you can see the family groupings.
ReplyDeletezsc, thanks, I'm having fun with this.
maisie, forgive my writing and pictures if you read back that far, lol! I've had a year and a half of practice since then - some of my early posts were kind of sketchy ;)
not-anon, LOL, see, there's always something I don't think to plot out! I suppose people must imagine that Felicia gave birth to Orion, and since she was present at the birth, she must have decided to go along with it. She did still marry Kent after this whole ordeal!
I've even left it in that story that Orion was born after three days (as is default in-game), when my human Sims are born in the regular nine months. I figure anyone noticing a pregnant man walking around for more than three days is definitely going to draw some attention. We'll imagine the aliens use some combination of growth hormones and time manipulation while he was away ;)
But yes, I suppose people would assume Felicia was the mother - she did sort of (badly) raise Orion after Kent went to jail.
LOL, and then there's that too - Kent went to jail for like ten or twenty years, lol! He was quite a character! But the point being, both Kent and Felicia were criminals too, and maybe they were inclined to just cover things up?
Roxie, it's Claire's fault, lol! She was already a Deppiesse and a Brant, and then she went and married a Bradshaw. You might notice Amelia is related to about half the neighborhood ;)
ETA - pictures! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the back story and explanation about Orion's alien heritage.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward and dreading more war posts. I want to see how it pans out for Orion and his family, because there's bound to be an increase in anti-alien sentiment. But then I think about how you're killing someone off and I start dreading it again. LOL.
Sullivan, yes, that's definitely something I want to explore. I'm still trying to decide how all my characters might be split, and what side they might fall on.
ReplyDelete