The set I use is the Lion/Argon Base Hood University Set from MATY. There are two files to this set, one for the mod, and one for the record. Put them both in your downloads folder. The record is found under decorations > wall paintings.
Then you'll stick the uni gold record on your university lots (each of them) somewhere, anywhere is fine. That's all. You stick a record on every lot you want to be designated as "on campus" and it will behave as a university lot. You can put them on residential, dorm, community, or apartments.
[First of all, disclaimer: this is just the way I work my base-hood university. There are other mods to use than these, and other ways to do it, but I can't tell you about those because I haven't used them. I didn't build this mod, I've just been using it for a couple/few years, and can vouch that it's useful and didn't blow up my game. As always, back up your game before trying anything new.]
Let's make sure she remembers to apply for those scholarships.
Here's how she did:
So far, we're doing everything just as you would for sending a teen to a default game university. So we'll send her then. She'll click "move to college" on the computer.
[note: if you don't care about the scholarships or the "went to college" memory, you can skip this step. Just save your game, with your teen ready to transition, and go straight to your real dorm and the teleporting in step. I don't do it this way, but I believe if you move your teen in, save, exit and re-enter the lot, your teen will become a YA. Or take your teen to a community lot and come back? Or just use the SimBlender to age to YA.]
Note that she's received all of her scholarship money.
I have one placeholder Sim in this residential lot - I honestly can't remember why I needed a placeholder Sim there, but there must have been a reason at some point. I've been doing this for a good two years and I can't remember back that far. Maybe you don't need one? I don't know.
Oh, maybe it was to make sure the game loads on pause? Maybe that was it...
So anyway, I'll add Amy to that household. If you have more than one Sim going to college, you can add them all to this household at this time. Note: write down how much scholarship money each student has earned before you merge them all together ;)
Then enter the lot.
Nice dress, Amy ;)
(Don't mind my hacks all spread out all over the lawn - as you can see, this is just a functional lot.)
You won't need to unpause the game at all, but you'll see that her scholarship money is there in the household funds. And we'll have her buy a $5000 painting, and stick that in her inventory so she can take it home with her. Do this for each of your Sims, and once everybody has their scholarship money, you can save the game and head over to your real university.
My university campus is built right into my downtown, Lake City. This is the main reason I wanted this, so that my students could still exist in a real city, interact with adults and families and as well as their fellow YAs. Their families can come and visit them on campus, and their teenage or adult friends can travel to the campus community lots if they want to.
And I'm sending Amy to my Freshman dorm, lovingly named Frosh Hall.
[this is the teleporting step, if you skipped "orientation".]
You'll have to teleport your students in, so I usually keep one RA in Frosh Hall, because someone has to be there to use the teleporter to bring the new students in. This is the only time you'll have to use the teleporter, and any other time they move - move out through the computer or newspaper, and end up in the base neighborhood Sim bin.
Vicky really must have a stick up her butt, because she dances like she's not even moving, lol! And what is that other girl doing??? (Not one of mine, I swear it!)
See, our base-hood uni kids are just as ridiculous as any uni kids!
Welcome to Frosh Hall, Amy - don't worry, Vicky isn't mad at you, just Summer.
So now Amy is a college student at LCU!!! She can deposit her scholarship money in her bank account, pay her tuition, pick out some new clothes, pick out her dorm room.
Sure it is, and we'll hide it in the closet, but in a base hood uni, her timer won't progress without her having one on her home lot. And if her timer doesn't progress, then there's no way for her to take her final exams. Bonus though, the timers on base-hood unis don't keep running on community lots like the regular uni timers do.
Wanna be cheaty? If you don't like having all those tallies there in the corner, they can all share one semester tester. Have it running for one of them to keep track of hours (I like to pretend that "exam week" is at the same time for all of my students.) Then when it's time for exams, you can cheat them to 2 hours with the College Adjuster, and have them take their exams in turn. Or if you have a larger bunch of students on one lot, maybe spawn an extra semester testers just before exam time. Only one student can use the semester tester during her exam though, and the next student will have to wait until the first returns.
***
notes:
- For some reason, the group study doesn't work for me, and if it doesn't work for you to a bothersome degree, you might want to try out some of Squinge's college mods. I can't help you with those though, because I don't use them. I never really used the group study anyway.
- Graduation works as normal.
- Teenagers cannot live on any lot with a uni record, or they will age to YA.
- You cannot have a regular uni hood and base-hood uni playable in your game at the same time. With these mods in place, your YAs will age to adult in the default university neighborhoods. This is why we kept the game paused above. (Further note - I've seen people say that they've got the two working simultaneously, but I never could.) So basically, if you want to use these mods, then all of your universities need to be in base hoods.
And of course, have fun! :)
I'm going to ask you a lot of questions, but I'm really interested in introducing this in SimsVille.
ReplyDeleteI didn't get it all, I'm sorry for that :s
If I understood it correctle, you can have a normal uni-hood, but don't actually play it. You need the normal uni-hood to move you sims to uni?
You can't let them age to YA while in the normal uni-hood? Therefor you have to move them to your basegame uni?
I'm sorry if I'm not very clear, but I don't know how to put it otherwise.
About the applestatue, do you really need to use the testingcheats? Or can I use the semester tester from here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=148693?
Thank You, Laura, for this thorough tutorial! I'm so glad that I now know how to keep the scolarships money. I can't wait until my next teen will go to college and I get to try this :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I can't help but to admire the effort You put to little details. It adds so much to Your stories.
Aili
Thanks again for this tut, Laura. I'm really anxious to try this out but I'll wait until this round is over before I start anymore projects. I've always wanted to create a dean or college president that would collect the tuition money and then I'd use that as scholarship money and money to improve the school (kind of like how you and Carla and others have a mayor that takes care of all that). But having my dean, I could create my own scholarships and requirements and can skip over that teleporting to a real uni hood step.
ReplyDeleteYour students can still get on the dean's list and get that extra money, right?
Tanja, no problem! That's right, I still have the old Sim State University I used to play - I didn't have to get rid of it or anything. I just use it now to get their scholarships.
ReplyDeleteYou *can* let them age to YA in the main hood, but you won't get your scholarships that way (and I think you also miss the "go to college" want, and "went to college" memory, but not 100% sure on that). But if you don't care about the scholarships and all that, you can cheat them to YA with the SimBlender, or you can move a teen into a uni lot and reload the lot.
I haven't used that apple statue, but they say it's cloned from the real thing, so it could work. Might be useful if you're not comfortable with testing cheats.
Aili, you're welcome! Hope it's useful to you! :)
Dani, I do both still, in mine. My school board president takes care of the budget - she takes in tuition payments, and her cut of the county budget, and she also owns all of the university colleges, so she can use the money to make changes to them. (Wrote about that a bit here.)
I have one LCU scholarship set up at the moment, and I'm working on some ideas for low-income grants as well.
You know though, I was thinking about just writing down the total of in-game scholarships they earned, and having Meadow dish out that amount money to them from the school budget. Then (theoretically) I could skip the "orientation" step too.
Good idea, thanks! :)
Yes, my students still get the dean's list grants too.
Laura, my sims have no problem with group study, you can even see them in a few of my updates. That's so strange that it dosen't work for you. Two things that I found out and I didn't know before. That you can send your teens to you subhood uni. (paused) and have them get their scholarship money, then tp them to your hood uni. And you can use one semester tested for all.
ReplyDeleteI normally just tp in all my freshmen then age then to YA with inSim. And before they leave for college I had their parents pay thier first tuition at home with SW check. Now I know. LOL That's for the tips!
I'm one of the ones who has both base hood and regular uni hood, both working... but I thing we found we have different mods or something. I used the semester tester that Tanja mentioned - maybe that makes the difference?
ReplyDeleteI have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive about whether or not they'll both work in my rebuild hood... same mods, same setup, it should work... will just have to wait and see :)
I am wondering why, Laura, you choose these mods over Squinge's? Just curious...
ReplyDeleteRiverdale, yeah, that's weird - the group study doesn't even appear at all for me, and it never did as long as I've been doing the base hood uni. Which set of mods are you using?
ReplyDeleteI have my kids pay their tuition the same way I do my taxes, which is SO easy! Especially since I usually have about 8-10 kids in college at a time. I just teleport them to Meadow's place, and have them either withdrawl from their bank account or take out a loan. Super easy!
Blackcat, I hope it works out for you when you do the change-over. I would also think with the exact same setup that the results would be the same, but you never know with Sim stuff. Which set of base hood uni mods are you using?
Blaise, hmmm, good question ;) I swear there was a reason for the choice, way back in the day - and it was over two years ago I decided to go with this set of mods over the other - but I can't remember. Maybe a mod conflict that I didn't want to compromise? Or this set of flaws was a lesser evil than the others' set of flaws? Sorry, I really can't remember back that far. I just know that it *was* a conscious decision, because I did know about the Squinge mods at the time, and had tried them, and chose these instead.
Hmmm, this was very educational for me! I can't say I ever knew exactly how a base-hood uni works.
ReplyDeleteQuestion: if you have a base hood dorm, do you get YA students moving in? Do you happen to know, if I did this, if it would generate new dormies or use the ones I already have wandering around? I don't think I'm quite ready to try this out yet but I'm intrigued.
One thing I am totally going to do next time I send kids to college is take note of their scholarship money and put it in their inventory! I never do that and it'd be nice for them to have that extra little nest-egg when they leave, rather than leaving some of it all to the kids who move in after them.
Laura, I have the hood uni mod and I'm also using Squinge's. But honestly, I only have it in my downloads folder but I'm not using Squinge. I use Majors made easy to pick custom majors. But other than that I don't have any othe college mods in the game.
ReplyDeleteCarla, from what I've seen I have the same dormies from the uni. subhood in my university. I'm also using the dormies anywhere mod. I think that's the name. The mode lets my dormies visit all community lots.
Really interesting way to do uni. I don't use uni much, definitely don't care what kind of grades or scholarships they have and generally use a hack to get them through at my pace instead of theirs. The idea of having the campus buildings co-located with the regular NB is very appealing. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI have both Lion's uni mods and Squinge's mods in my game. I haven't ever had a problem having both sets in my game and the group study works fine for me.
ReplyDeleteCarla, YA dormies do move in all on their own with a base hood dorm. Mine is located in my downtown and the dormies all show up like normal. I'm pretty sure that when I moved my college from the uni hood to Arcadia, the dormies came from the ones already generated by the original college. Since then, I've had a few new dormies generated in among the old ones that are still wandering around.
I have another question (sorry about that, I ask a lot of questions).
ReplyDeleteWhen I keep my uni in a uni-hood and I want my sims to be able to study in Twikii-island and set up some buildings there, is that possible?
Or do I have to have a base-hood uni for that?
Thank you everyone! (Sorry about the skimpy comment replies, I'm just back from vacation and tired, lol!) I hope this was helpful for you all! :)
ReplyDeleteCarla, yes, they're correct, the dormie pool is shared.
Riverdale, oh hey, don't think I've ever heard of that, majors made easy. I'll have to look that up!
Beth, yes, I really love having my uni in my downtown! Saves me a ton of load time, lol!
Shana, I'd be curious to know, since you're using the MATY set too, are you able to use your default uni hoods anymore, with the mods in place?
Tanja, unless you're one of the lucky ones who can manage to get both unis working, I don't know if that would work for you. Because the vacation uni would count as a base-hood uni, and those mods could conflict with your regular uni.
I'm thinking of actually doing this, so I have a couple of extra questions!
ReplyDelete1) You say I'd need to teleport my Sims into the base hood uni. Is that because YA families won't show up in the base hood family bin, only in the uni one?
2) I'm a bit lost about the tallies for the semester tester. I guess it might be something that will become clear if I try it myself but I'm going to ask anyway. Do you need those pop-up tallies? Does the timer bar in their Sim panel not fill in as they get closer to exams? I don't want to have to crop them out of all my pics. Do you still get those pop-ups warning you when you have 5 hours and 1 hour left until your exam? If you still get those, I could do without the tallies and the timer bar.
Gah, I hope that last question made sense!
Carla, oh yay! I'm excited to see what you do with this! :)
ReplyDelete1 - right, if you send your Sim to college the traditional way, they'll be in the Uni bin. Theoretically, if you cheated them to YA first, before they moved out of their parent's house, they should show up in the regular bin. But then you miss out on the in-game scholarships, if you care about those.
2 - you can X that timer out, like any of the corner pop-ups, before you go to take your picture. But right, time won't progress at all if you don't have it running. So they'd be stuck at 72 hours or whatever. And even if you cheated it down to 2 hours, it still wouldn't move, and they'd still never get the option to go to their exam, because they need to be 1 hour away for that.
I don't crop anything out of my LCU pictures though. I just X out the timer before I go to take the picture.
Thank you!
ReplyDeleteSo if I've X'ed out the timer and then I cheat them down to 2 hours remaining, I'm assuming that means the timer pops up again at some point and then the clock will start running again? Like how the headmaster and party timers pop back up after a while if you close them?
Yes, exactly. They'll start right back up automatically.
ReplyDeleteOkay, awesome! Thanks again. :)
ReplyDeleteI have another question about this. I've moved my university to my downtown hood, I've build a dorm and it all looks good, and runs ok.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about moving some of my uni-sims into an appartment, do you know if this is possible?
(I'm sorry to bother you with this :s)
Tanja, yes, your YAs can live in an apartment. Just stick the uni-record on their wall and it'll behave like any Uni residence would.
ReplyDeleteI would separate my Uni apartments from my regular family apartments though, because the whole apartment building will behave as a Uni lot, which means that your regular families would get YA walk-bys. Not a huge deal, but maybe something to consider.
OMGosh, I'm so glad you posted this. (I know, I'm months behind.) I've seen people doing schools & uni in their regular hoods for a long time now. I think Jade Elliott's Isle of Thyme was the first one I saw. But I'm major lazy and didn't want to put a crap-load of time & energy into it. This looks so super easy, that I'm gonna try it once I've gotten my hood established. *glomps Laura*
ReplyDeletepetalbrook, it really is super-easy! Really no more difficult than running a default uni! I hope this helps! :)
ReplyDeletecan sims still visit a community lot and vacation lot without aging up to adult? do i have to put the gold record on those lots too? I would like them to be able to go shopping and go on spring break still
ReplyDeletedwn2ride, yes, YAs can visit any community or vacation lots they want, just as normal YAs would. You only have to be careful about moving them.
ReplyDeleteoh ok yay!!! that's great to know
ReplyDeleteWhen you build your neighborhood Uni dorms, what do you change them to? Do you change them to dorms or do you leave them residential lots or apartments?
ReplyDeleteThanks
Julie, any kind of residence zoning should work just fine. I have all three in my hood. It just depends on what you want for your students. If you zone for a dorm, then you'll have dormies move in. If you zone for apartments, they'll pay rent and have YA neighbors move in. If you leave it regular residential, they'll have to buy it as usual.
ReplyDeleteJust make sure to put a uni record somewhere on the lot! ;)