Wednesday, October 28, 2009

LH sci-fi dork-fest... or the making of a space base

After viewing this video, a tour inside our current ISS, I've had to revise my plans for my happy little space-goers. A free-floating space station wouldn't have as much space or large windows with beautiful views of space like I'd envisioned. And it would not be very aesthetically pleasing at all. It would be cramped and cluttered and every bit of available space would be used.

But they can generate oxygen from their urine! That's hella cool! LOL!

So anyway, if I want to keep this story as realistic as I usually try to, then that means staying true to the kind of possibilities we might see in the next 70 years. So I've changed my original intentions a bit, and I'll now have their "home base" built on the moon rather than a free-floating station in orbit. So from this point forward, that's where they'll be. And I'll try to go back and edit the story to reflect that.


The complex is really nothing more than a box right now, out in Abandia City. Never mind the helicopter, I know there are no helicopters in space! ;)

It's the inside of this building that matters - you'll probably never see it from this view in the story. Their pictures will be taken inside it, and you'll imagine that they're on base on the moon. The cement terrain represents moon rocks well.

They have prisoner tokens in their inventory so they won't show up anywhere they aren't supposed to be. Only 6 (7 if you count Alon) are my playables, but there are actually 13 "living" there, and I may add more (non-playables or townies) as needed. And this is where they are all actually living, in terms of their physical place in the game. Though for story purposes, they won't all be "here" at the same time.

And ummm, never mind that road in the distance, lol! I was able to delete the road in front of the building on their lot, but I don't know what to do about the neighborhood road, except keep it out of the pictures. Isn't there a cheat for no roads?

Anyway, as you can see, there's not much to it yet, I've started building their kitchen, and I'll do bathrooms and barracks next, then I'll build sets onto the second floor as needed.


And the sky - it should be black, both day and night, since the moon has no significant atmosphere to reflect color.


This is my best effort with my mad photoshopping skillz (and Mao's sky tutorial), but I can't seem to get it selected around their hair closely enough. And like hell if I'm going to get in there and select it all by hand.

And then it dawns on me that maybe a buyable sky would be much simpler? (Does anyone know of a flat black one?) Or a mod or cheat I could use to turn the sky black (and be able to remove when I'm playing the rest of my families)?

Once I get that sorted out, I might even occasionally get fancy and try to photoshop in some stars or Earth or the Sun or something. Or if I'm feeling lazy we can just pretend they're pointed the wrong way, lol!

For comparison's sake, here is what the sky from the moon should look like: here, or here.

Or maybe I'll just do away with the windows all together, since it appears (from what I've seen so far) large windows like these would be something of a hazard anyway.


That other girl is Christy, by the way, and she has a HUGE crush on Cabe!!! Somebody wants to sleep her way up to the top, lol! And Tyler appears to have the hots for Keri, which she finds flattering. Jeremiah would like to remind her that she's married, he can't even look!

They might be in space, but there's still drama! :)

This is all still being built, so I'd welcome any suggestions for things they might need, or ways I could make it more authentic. I'm especially soliciting any CC you might know of that would work, gadgets especially, communications equipment, computers, etc. I don't have room to download much, but I figure I could use a couple/few good pieces to mix with some of the crazy EP stuff I already have (AL is proving to be quite useful, lol!).

the nitty-gritty:

I understand some of you might not be interested in the techie stuff, and considering most of this story will continue to NOT take place in space, feel free to read this at your own level of involvement.

This is much more research than I really have time to do for this story, but since I find this stuff fascinating, I'll indulge myself. The way I see it, nothing learned is ever wasted! Maybe I'll use all of this in a more prominent way sometime in a future story?

So this base I'm building will be where Keri is stationed permanently. I imagine our moon of the year 2083 has many military bases as well as commercial and tourist properties. Recreational space travel will be available (in real life, even) for the people of 2083, as Stephanie was talking about here, but it will still be very expensive.

In addition to these larger networks of buildings, there might be free-floating outposts in the orbit of some planets as "rest stops." Maybe as far as Jupiter? (Jupiter is 5.2 AU, Mars 1.5, Earth being 1.0) That seems pretty far a distance to travel by 2083 though, considering we're lucky to make it to Mars right now. Though if my troops are going to be flitting around the solar system kicking ass, I think they need at least one base out there, and Jupiter has a few terrestrial moons, so yes, let's put a base out there too!

Wow, Laura = mega-nerd? LOL! I took a couple astronomy classes in college ;)

So anyway, while the rest of the troops will be on base physically (as Sims), as far as the story goes, they're supposed to be out in small fighter ships, kicking ass and taking names with these alien invaders!

The invaders have several slang names, but nothing official yet. In the story, my characters have not made contact with them yet (which means, I just haven't decided who they are yet, lol!) I do know what they're here for though. My characters don't yet. So they're called, among many things, the invaders, the presence, and "little ships" because of their quantity of smallish ships. "Little Shits," my hubby offered as a name, and I can already imagine that nickname taking hold, LOL!


in real life, further reading:

Colonization of the Moon: This Wiki-page is definitely worth a read! Several countries appear to be planning some sort of permanent settlement on the moon by the year 2020. Lots of very interesting information here about the advantages and disadvantages to human colonization of the moon, the way they could collect solar power from the areas most often in direct sunlight, but live in a more shaded place because of temperature extremes. And did you know a shuttle can make it to the moon in three days?!? Sheesh, it would take me three days to drive to California!

But very interesting stuff, and useful for how I'll end up developing my moon base.

the International Space Station: Our current ISS, which is due to be decommissioned some time in the near future (this might be extended). It houses astronauts from several different countries for scientific research in space.

Virgin Galactic: This is really exciting (to me, lol!), this stuff is already in the works! A space ticket is going to cost $200,000 though, lol! And that's just for a 90 second ride into sub-orbit. People have already booked their tickets. I'm not about to hop on the first shuttle or anything, but man, you can count me in! Maybe once the prices come down a little ;)

I've seen Space Ship One here at the National Air and Space Museum - it's unbelievably tiny! I can't believe they took that thing into space!

Space Ship Two is planned to be unveiled in December, and private space flights could begin in the next couple of years!

15 comments:

  1. Horray for nerd info! Let's not forget that unmanned probes have been sent to Jupiter's moons. Intergalactic space travel as a vacation would be so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of anything like a darkened buyable sky. But why don't you just take pics at night? I have to admit I miss the "set hour" cheat when I'm trying to take pics for TS3. You could always leave them in darkness.

    Wow, I can't wait to see everything in play. I'm also curious what you're going to do with the aliens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura you crack me up. You are not a mega nerd! This info is fun and I enjoy learning all that I can!

    I still think you should use the Wraith sim ;) LOL They don't actually have to eat human life force through their hands, but I think they would make awesome aliens for your story... think about it.

    The long windows in the space station, for me I don't think it's a good idea. Unless they are made of state of the art shatter proof glass you have to take space junk into concideration. Not to mention if the aliens are on the attack they would attack the space settlement first. Blasts from their ships hitting the windows, shattering them, would instantly suck any sim out into space. And what a horrid way to go. :( So maybe those small portal windows instead.

    I've given way too much thought into this. LOL

    As for your space background. Not sure if you've seen any movies or vidoes on youtub made with the sims but many directors use a green screen. I'm not sure, but I think it could be used for still shots as well as moving ones.

    http://www.psiraptor.com/sims2-green-screen-technique.htm

    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=237941

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080729100058AA0nCXV

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. petalbrook, this is fun, huh? :) I can't wait to see in the next couple years if regular people can start traveling into space!

    Lunar, I've considered just taking the pics at night. That would be the simplest idea, wouldn't it? lol! The dark blue would probably be easier to turn black. The terrain would have a darker cast to it then, but I could probably lighten it rather easily.

    I'll probably just do that :)

    Riverdale, wow, what is the Wraith Sim? I've never heard of that before. Do you mean Grimmy?

    I think you're absolutely right about the windows, which is probably why real-life space stations don't have large ones. Here I am thinking about pretty instead of functional, lol! And then having smaller portal windows would solve my photoshopping problem, lol!

    But maybe just one big bank of ultra-protected windows, so they can all gather to watch the Earth spinning around :) Maybe I'm a bit claustrophobic, but I feel icky in closed up rooms without windows! Though I guess the mentality might be different if "outside" was not exactly habitable, lol!

    I'll look into the green screen stuff. The process seems similar to what I did with selecting the blue color range from the sky and turning it black though. But thank you still! I'll definitely check it out further!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wraith_(Stargate) << Wraiths (or at least I'm assuming those are the ones Riverdale was talking about)

    Another idea regarding the outdoor view, you could try a wallpaper with a picture of space and then put some kind of hanging object on the wall like a light or something. Use move_objects on, place your window. When you get rid of your other wall hanging, you should only see the window frame embeded in the wall. Only issue, you'd either have to create your own wallpaper for window sizing issues or use full wall sized windows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the techie stuff, bring it on!

    Riverdale beat me to the punch about the windows. They would be a major hazzard IRL.

    I'll probably be surfing MTS this weekend. If I see anything that might be useful to you, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never realized how spacey apartment life was unitl I saw how creatively you used it!

    and ROFL when you said, "someone's trying to sleep her way to the top.

    And on making every picture night time, I have a good trick I always use. Pop into buy/build at any time of the day, hit the day/night toggle button, and then hit the design key. Then it looks like nighttime, but you don't have the building squares in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Rome, that's who I'm talking about.

    Laura, here is the skin if you want to see how they look as sims: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=281793

    I think you can still keep it real and have those bay windows. Why not have one spot on the station that lets everyone gaze back down at the world they have left behind. I don't think any readers will kill you for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow! I don't know anything about space travel but I think everything looks pretty cool so far and I am really looking forward to how this fits into your story.

    Regarding the sky though, if you take the pics in buy mode, you wouldn't even need to take the pics at night. You could just go into buy mode, turn off the grid (if necessary) by selecting the recolour tool and then use the Day/Night toggle to make it night - the toggle is right next to the recolour tool.

    I use this tool all the time, though I usually use it to make it day when it's actually night. About half my school update pictures are done this way because the kids end up being there until about 9pm! I personally don't like to mess with the time of day so I use this little workaround instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Or you could just ride the Mission Space attraction at Disney World! That thing really makes you feel like you're blasting off into outer space. And it's just as dangerous too; a few people have died on the ride!

    Anyhoo, outer space has always been very interesting to me and a tad bit scary. I don't think I'll ever willingly go out there, but you never know! Can't wait to see how it all takes shape in your story.

    What does the sims sky look like at night time? Is it dark enough? If so, you could just use cheats or Insimenator or something to change the time of day to nighttime for your photoshoots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. rome, thanks! That wallpaper idea is an interesting one! I'll definitely have to add that to my list of things to try out.

    snarky, yay, I'm glad you all don't mind this spacey stuff! I didn't want to scare anyone off, lol!

    bbop, AL has some crazy stuff in it, for sure! Thanks for the buy mode tip! I'll try that too!

    Riverdale, man those are scary looking! I'll download it and see how it looks in game.

    I do really like the idea of having just one spot of big windows, with the smaller portal windows in the rest of the building. It was something that astronaut said in the video I think, that made me think it would be important to them and their peace of mind to be able to see home every once in a while, or feel real sunlight on their skin - with UV protection in the glass, of course, lol!

    Anyway, the viewing windows could be reinforced and placed in a very protected part of the complex, so we'll call them safe ;)

    Carla, lol! I always have my kids at school long into the evenings too! Everything always takes much longer to accomplish than you think it should :)

    Mandie, the night sky in Sims 2 is blue and a pretty bright shade of it too. But I'm going to try it anyway, because I'm thinking the nighttime blue would be easier to photoshop to black than the light blue was.

    I think I'm probably putting WAY too much thought into these windows for as FEW updates as will actually take place out there, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just another thought which may or may not work...if you build a two-story wall and find/make a pure black wallpaper (or even one with the earth on it)...at the right distance it would look like the sky. You can even use the terrain tools to make some slopes in front of the wall to look like distant craters and what-not. You won't believe it, but I actually had that thought in a dream last night! Hahaha, see what you and your sims hood do to me?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mandie, yay, there's another good idea! I haven't had a chance to try any of this out yet, but I will, and I'll update you all with my progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura, have you seen this space station: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=302067

    I just happened to stuble upon it while looking for a community lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Riverdale, thanks! Wow, that's huge! The lot would crash my computer for sure, but I could snatch some of the electronics inside ;) That guy seems to have a lot of spacey stuff!

    ReplyDelete