

"It's a helicopter," Tyler says.
Jeremiah glances behind him, nodding once surely. "That's definitely a helicopter. You've never been in a helicopter?"
"Nope, you?"

"No," Tyler says, his face as bright as a little boy on Christmas. "I'm pretty sure it's a big deal. Could you fly it?"
"What? No way," Jeremiah says. "Dude, I'm on probation! But no, I couldn't fly it anyway."

"Helicopter," they both say.
Tyler asks, "You ever been in one?"
Joel only raises an eyebrow at him, like it was the stupidest question anyone ever asked.

They don't answer him, fixing their eyes on General Deppiesse in the distance. He isn't known to be an intimidating man, but they don't want to get in trouble. "I'm totally on probation," Jeremiah says.
"Don't worry about it," Joel says. "Cabe and I went to college together! My niece is dating his nephew, we're like family!"




"Pick a seat," he says. "Here we go."









They're calmed by the deep and rhythmic rumble of the rotor, gazing out the window in a trance. They both mutter a stunned "Uh-huh" without looking away from the passing shades of ground, leaf, sea, and sky, repeated indefinitely.

*******
notes: this whole mini-update was inspired simply because I'd never used the helicopter before, and wanted to try it out :)
They still have an actual send-off update before they go. Coming up next. This one just popped up as an extra.
And I've decided to use some of that way-out-there AL clothing for their flight suits, which actually look like flight suits more than clothing someone might actually wear. They almost look like Trekkies, lol!
I've never used one either! And that clothing totally fits, military, yet spacey, too. Loved the simple conversation revolving around a helicopter. Boys are so easily amused. ;)
ReplyDeleteNow with the helicopter, did it really fly around like that? That is cool.
Mao, that's just what I was looking for, for the clothes, a little spacey, but nothing too crazy. Maybe something an actual astronaut might wear, seventy or so years in the future. I also have the girls in one of the AL outfits, the one with the bell sleeves - that one is a little more spacey than military though, but it works :)
ReplyDeleteNo, sorry, the flying shots were just camera tricks, lol! The helicopter just comes straight down from the sky, so I went to five or six different community lots throughout the neighborhoods to make it look like they were flying through. Tricky, tricky ;)
And move_objects for the inside shots as well, because they immediately disappear once they're inside.
I love the helicopter shots, very cool! Wow, so they're really going huh? Can't wait to see what happens!
ReplyDeleteI was wondering how you got those helicopter shots.
ReplyDeleteAnd the uniforms, nice! Some of those AL clothes are so weird! They do fit perfectly though.
I've never used the helicopter either, I really should...:\
ReplyDeleteHave you name the space shuttle yet? It is probably not going to be Enterprise, is it?
ReplyDeleteImagine downloading a John Luke Picard from MTS to go along with the mission.......
Mizzgin, thanks! Yup, they really are :(
ReplyDeleteLunar, one less thing for me to download! Some of the walls and floors from AL might be useful in my space station as well.
Apple, you're actually not missing much, I had to fake a lot of that, lol!
Citizen, lol, I'm guessing not ;)
Oh man, I wish you had helped design the helicopter in the game so it would have been *just* like this. LOVE the shots!!!
ReplyDeleteThe uniforms are great! I use all those hokey ones as costumes LOL. Your neighborhood is spectacular!
I've never used the helicopter either - cool to see someone finding a use for it! And I didn't even notice they were the AL clothes - those definitely do look more like flight suits than anything else though!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe they're already leaving though! This has snuck up so fast!
What I love about your story is the way you merge what happens in game with a storyline so seamlessly.
ReplyDeleteThis update makes me miss Sims 2. I didn't get too much of a chance to play the helicopter or AL.
Some really fantastic shots here.
maisie, thank you! There's a bunch of things in this game I wish we could have helped design :)
ReplyDeleteCarla, did it seem fast? I'm glad to hear you say that actually, because I kind of worried I was beating it to death, lol! Not that I want them gone or anything ;)
carnaxa, thanks! I have a lot of fun with it. Sometimes those little gameplay surprises can add really interesting twists to the story, in ways I wouldn't think of. Of course, there's a lot of stupid sim-like nonsense I have to leave out as well ;)
I'm glad you've found a use for those clothes. LOL When I looked at them I thought they reminded me of the new recruits in Star Trek.
ReplyDeleteSo this is their last night on earth! For how long? I mean, have you decided on how long each sim will be away on duty. Well they get shore leave and come home to see their families for a few days, or will they spend their whole tour in space them come home when the threat is over?
I'm starting to get nervous. *bites nails*
I've never used teh chopper either. So when they are flying in it does it really fly around like that, or did you do your camera magic and put on a show for us? ;)
Riverdale, good questions! :)
ReplyDeleteI'll have some gameplay notes and more detailed info in a post after I get them shipped off. As per the ROS, the war has to last at least two years.
I think they'll have to come back to "home base" though periodically, for its synthesized gravity and atmosphere, and for R&R. But because of the travel costs, the military wouldn't be able to fund all of them to come back to Earth until they're finished.
Their families could visit out there, but that would be *really* expensive, and I could only imagine maybe two families (Keri's parents, or Tyler's) would be able to afford a trip like that, and it would set them back a lot.
More on that in a little bit though ;)
And see above (reply to Mao's comment) about the helicopter shots :)
I love the shots you did. It captured a certain mood, like of things bigger than you are or just enjoying things around us.
ReplyDeleteHeredon, thank you! I definitely wanted to convey that moment of appreciation :)
ReplyDeleteYour hood is so beautiful. Every time you make it seem like it's really one big seamless hood. Whether its these amazing shots (btw, for bluewater is very creative) or just Mariah walking across the street to Micah's house, it seems SO REAL.
ReplyDeleteAnd omigosh, they're leaving?!?!
bbop, thanks! Camera tricks rock! :) It's always been my favorite way to play. I've been doing the seamless neighborhood thing since before TS3 even existed... except I have to deal with those damn loading screens, lol!
ReplyDelete