Tuesday, March 25, 2008

time in a bottle

The inner-workings of aging, rounds, and real time seasons in Lakeside Heights:

How they get old:

1 Sim day = 1 year in Lakeside Heights. Most Sims will live an average human lifespan of somewhere between 70-90 years, unless they die earlier of something tragic and unexpected ;)

My ages are modified as follows, using Inge's age group tweak mod.

For an elder who transitions at 60 days, enter these numbers into your SimPe BCON file (note that the number you enter will be one less than the age bar shows). Feel free to add or subtract from each age group as you like:

Babies: 2 (bar would say 3, but I manually age my babies after 1 day)
Toddlers: 3 (bar will say 4)
Children: 7 (bar will say 8)
Teens: 7 (bar will say 8)
Adults: 41 (bar will say 42, or the equivalent of 19 years old, for your adults who didn't go to college. For your adults coming back from college, you'll have to manually adjust their age to 37 days remaining (the equivalent of 23 years old) because they will come back as 42 days remaining.)

And this is how the ages are reflected in my game:

baby, age 0, 1 day
toddler, ages 1-3, 3 days
child, ages 4-11, 8 days
teen, ages 12-18, 8 days
YA, ages 19-22, (uni bar)
adult, ages 19-60, 42 days (uni grads are adjusted to 37 days remaining upon graduation)
elder, ages 60... (variable)

Because I play my game in neighborhood time (more on that below), these days are really only an approximation of their age for the game to use, since they'll roll specific wants according to where they are in their life-stage. More importantly, I'm interested in keeping their age according to neighborhood time. This means none of my Sims will age transition within an update (or play-session, for those of you who don't blog your neighborhoods), but they'll celebrate one birthday every year like we do in real life (meaning they'll get one year older, not that I'll throw them a party or anything, lol!). And they'll age-transition at the above specified transition points (1, 4, 12, 19, 23, and 60).

Every single resident of Lakeside Heights is kept in sync, from their birth to their death, in a very meticulously kept spreadsheet. Every Sim will be played and aged 2 years each round - if a Sim is not played during a round (because they're boring, or moved away, or whatever) they will still be aged (by means of the multi-painting or sim blender).

[Keeping track of all of them: an in-depth look at my tracking spreadsheet.]

This is so incredibly nerdy, I know! But it actually doesn't take too much effort once set up, and it helps me keep track of everybody.

2 year rounds:

Because I usually run at least 24 households, and because 2 Sim-days is a manageable amount of time to play when you have a real-life toddler in the house, I have devised a system of real-time seasons. It's fun! I really enjoy playing this way and getting to see the seasons change more often.

The rounds work around the school years for the sake of my students. Uni students will be played four semesters every round (2 years, broken up into four updates). So the round will begin in August, and end in July two years later, with approximately 24 updates, each household "adopting" one particular month of the 2 years (depending on exactly how many households there are, there may be two families in one month).

When the round changes, time will carry on through the year as it has been, but the families will begin being played for their next turns, and everyone will be two years older than they were at the start of the round. For simplicity's sake, I don't keep track of the actual birth-months for these Sims (that would be crazy!), but instead we imagine everyone in Lakeside Heights has an August birthday, and two Augusts in each round ages everyone two years. This two-year jump is not usually weird because you will see Sims often taking part in the stories of other Sims, so though their age bar is not progressing when they are visitors, we imagine that they are aging continually.

Every August (twice in each round), I'll go down the line in my spreadsheet and add one year. They age one year every August, whether or not their family was played in that year. Likewise, they'll age again in the second year of the round, even if their family was played in the first year. But don't worry, I've got it all worked out on my spreadsheet, and I'll let you know how old they are supposed to be at the top of each update. That way when you're reading current entries, you'll know how old they are now, and when you're reading backdated entries, you'll know how old they were then.

Real time seasons:

Like mentioned above, there are somewhere around 24 family updates each round, and each update taking place in one particular month of the 2 years.

For example:

August 2076: Bradshaw Family
September 2076: Lind Family
October 2076: Nova Family [... and so on]

I use the in-game weather machine to change to the appropriate season.

An advantage to this is that babies can have real birthday years (I don't go so crazy as to track their actual birth month though!). Couples can celebrate actual anniversaries (again, just the year, and not down to the actual month), and know how many years they've been together, as opposed to just "a really long time..." A couple can get pregnant, and then have their baby nine months later in neighborhood time. And best of all, all records are kept in the actual updates, so I don't have to track anything :)

And the most fun part of the new round though is new random events! My random events are rolled using Random Stuff, and you can swipe my random events file here. I usually roll 4 random events for each round, and I'll tell you what the events are, but you have to wait to find out who they happen to ;)

additional notes: All of this real-time business will probably make your head spin if you've never read about a Sims 2 neighborhood kept in neighborhood time rather than Sim-days. The best way to understand it probably is to browse through some of these updates, follow from one to the next and take note of how the time progresses.

33 comments:

  1. Wonderful! That was exactly what I was wondering about your unique system. I love that they can all age together and have real birthdays and anniversaries. Thanks for explaining it all! It is a very inspiring system!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please explain to me how pregnancy can last 9 months according to your system, which would be 18 sim hours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi anonymous,

    My Sim pregnancies still last the normal 72 hours, but they last 9 months in neighborhood time - lots of imagination is involved.

    For example, Aurora Harris is currently five months pregnant in my neighborhood. She conceived in June of 2078 ("fertile gardens"), so she will be due in March of 2079. She appeared in my October 2078 post, "roaches never die" and was four months along - so all I do is pop into her household and play them for one day with aging off until she reaches her second trimester. Sometime around her third trimester, I'll pop in again and play her another day so that her belly reaches the third trimester. Then she'll have her baby in March.

    The aging is off, because otherwise, she would have aged the equivalent of three sim-years just in the space of her pregnancy. But when it is her turn to be played, I will turn aging on again, and she and her family will still age their two years for the round.

    Hope that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I'm not sure how to put my name, but it's Nick. If I can ask one more question, how do you use the Aging Tweak mod? I downloaded SimPE and put the numbers in the specific rows like it said on the site, but I'm not sure how to implement it in my game. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should just be able to plop it in your downloads folder, and that's it. You won't see the modified ages except with new Sims, or until your existing Sims have been through an age-transition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat! I have tried various ways of telling time in my own hoods, and finally gave up on having ages make sense:P I'm playing a tweaked prosperity challenge so the sims age as they will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing these notes, It's always good to see how others are managing their sims.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to know more about how you manage the months. Do you generally play with aging on, unless you need to slow down for something like a pregnancy? Do you count each part of the day as a month while you play the house for two days? Or is it more that you notice an event (like conception) that needs tracking, and decide what month that ought to be?

    I'm interested in your idea, but very puzzled about how it works in play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, I play with aging on. Each household gets two days, but if I need more time than that (for whatever reason) I'll turn aging off until I'm finished with them. I take that two days of gameplay and space the events out as if they happened over a month - so the first things that happen, happen at the beginning of the month, and the last things towards the end.

    If someone gets pregnant during their turn, then I'll plot their pregnancy on my schedule, and I'll pop back into their house nine months later so they can have their baby. I don't tend to play through the pregnancies very often because they bore me ;) Other important events are plotted on the schedule too, like weddings, or anniversaries sometimes - or whatever.

    So that two days/one month of gameplay is all a particular household will get during the two-year-round, though they will show up during the months of other family and friends too, and their storylines can progress through friends and family, even if it's not their "active" month. I use the mind-control mirror a lot! :)

    An example would be when Joel and Aurora Harris got pregnant, it was during her parents' active month. Then they had their turn nine months later, and had their baby.

    Hope that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's helpful, thankyou. It looks as though you play them for a month's worth of events, but age them two years for the round. I think I understand now.

    Oh, and I have a name now too :-)

    I was imagining an awful lot of birthday parties - if a simday=one year, every sim ought to have a birthday every day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aelflaed, yes, that's exactly right! I'm glad it made sense. I hardly ever have actual birthday parties, though, since I haven't had one in so long it might actually be fun :)

    Love your houses, btw. I'm going to have to snag a couple of those for the hood :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you like them. It's my small way of giving back to the community.

    I'm still working out my system, and looking for hints from other players. Jade's way was just too complex for me, and I wanted to start small rather than with an entire established township.
    I like the way your tax collecting is set up - my hood currently pays no taxes because I didn't want to deal with it, and the hood is still very tiny - only six houses. When I need taxes, I'll probably manage it from an office as you are doing.
    I am also working on a ROS setup. I've snagged several from other people (yours too) and will now have to make one that works for me.
    And maybe I should upload a new lot sometime soon. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really interested in slowing down my rounds and I'm wondering, with the 2 day seasons, do you ever get "into" the season? Because I read that the seasons change gradually (Like at the end of fall there may be snow flurries, but deep snow would usually happen only in the middle of winter.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Francesca, that is true. But I do still manage to see deep snow and everything. Sometimes I end up playing them a little longer than 2 days if I need to, with aging off after their time is up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura, this is Riverdale. I am really lost and confused, lol. And I hope you can help me. I downloaded the age BCOn from simlogical, and opened it up in PE. I removed he age duration hack from 2Jeffs, and placed Inge's hack in the game. Ok, so I'm looking at the BCON files for the ages in PE and I have no idea what to edit.

    As you know there are two lines for each age, a min. and a max. But which one do I change. And I'm also comfused on the day aging as well. Like for example, in the original settings a new born is set to 0. Does that mean the baby will age in one day? And the toddler is set to 2 - 3, does that mean, my toddlers will have three days off toddler hood? And my kids and teens, as well as adults. *si so confused* My brain hurts ROFL I want to play, but I don't want to mess up my sims ages. I finallt figured out a lot for their ages and boy are some older than I had se tin my head before I switched to the two year rotation like yours.

    Also, another thing that is confusing me. For adults are the ages not matching up. Some sims that I introduced after other sims are showing up much older than older playables. Like my farming family, the wife and husband are showing up with only 12 days remaining, and my other sim (who has been played longer) is showing up with 22 days. I'm confused. lol I keep saying that. *sigh* But I am.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, everybody makes that mistake! :) You're looking at the TRCN instead of the BCON. Make sure you select the BCON file.

    The only lines you'll edit are 0-9. The other lines have something to do with elders, but you shouldn't edit those.

    There are two lines for each age, but put the same number in each. The number you put will be one less than what shows up on the age bar when it's empty. And I've read that for babies, the lowest you can enter is 2, otherwise they'll just get 2 days anyway. I manually age my babies, so that doesn't matter to me.

    Here are the numbers I use (the ones you would enter into SimPe), and this should transition your elders at 60 days.

    Babies: 2
    Toddlers: 3 (bar will say 4)
    Children: 7 (bar will say 8)
    Teens: 7 (bar will say 8)
    Adults: 41 (bar will say 42, or the equivalent of 18 years old, for your adults who didn't go to college. For your adults coming back from college, you'll have to manually adjust their age to 37 days remaining (the equivalent of 23 years old) because they will come back as 42.)

    As far as some of your adults not matching others, that is probably because you've aged some with the mod in and not others? This mod will only affect new age transitions, and will not affect existing Sims until they transition again. If you want existing Sims to show up with the edited age bars, you can age them down a stage, and back up (use the Sim Blender or testing cheats - the agesimscheat will not work). Make sure you note how old they're supposed to be, and adjust their age using the Multi-Painting.

    I actually do a lot of age adjusting because of the real-time months playstyle, and having to manually age early sometimes - I won't try to explain that, as it would probably only confuse you more, lol!

    Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Laura. Okay, I edited them I will fire up the game and see what happens with the next set of kids that are going to age!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was just reading this post again because I want to change Sullivan over to something similar. I am getting really dissatisfied with the fact that Sims are pregnant for 3 years and so can never have kids who are closer than 3 years apart (usually ends up being at least 5 years).

    Plus, there's the seasons thing. We all go through 7 summers, 7 winters, etc. as teenagers but my Sim teens usually get one. This kind of system would work so much better with my college kids too.

    So really, I just wanted to thank you for coming up with this innovative system. I don't know if mine will turn out exactly the same as yours but you've definitely inspired me to make some major changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sullivan, yes, the pregnancy thing was a huge pet peeve! I love having more realistic family spacings. I'm glad you're trying it out, and I can't wait to see it in play. It's really easy to do once you dig in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I switched over to this kind of system and I really love it. Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Laura, I have a question for you. First let me explain. I changed my agecon BCON file awhile ago, but today I just noticed that a newly moved-in adult has 29 days left until elder. His toddler daughter has 4 days left until she's a child, which is correct.

    I loaded up SimPE to have a look at the BCON file, and the DEC box under the Adult stage, has 41 listed, but the HEX box for the Adult stage, has a string of numbers something like, 00000x0029.

    When I change the HEX number to 00000x041, the DEC box number changes to 65. ?? When I change it back to 41, the HEX box string changes back to 00000x029. I'm thinking that's where the 29 days left is coming from. Although, I'm not sure what's going on.

    All my other Age stages are listed correctly, and the HEX string of numbers ends with the appropriate number listed. For example, child and teen, The HEX looks like 00000x007. (I'm going off my old memory, so this HEX number may have a letter in it.)

    Any advice on what you did to change your Adult age to 41 and make it stick? I did use the Commit/Save buttons before, because the other ages are correct.

    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

    --green

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi green, it sounds like you've done everything right on the SimPe side. Don't worry about the Hex box - 29 is the Hex equivalent of 41, so that is correct.

    Your adult Sim won't show the modified days in his age bar unless he was newly made in CAS, or aged to adult in-game. Was he from the Sim-bin, either a pre-made or made in CAS before you installed the mod?

    Anyway, all you need to do to fix him is age him down to teen or YA (I would use the Sim Blender), and then back up to adult (again, using Sim Blender or testing cheats). He should show the proper amount of days. Don't use the in-game "agesims" cheat, it won't work.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your help is greatly appreciated! This is a Sim I got from another player. He was made in her game and moved onto a lot. So maybe that's why it's not showing up correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm jumping in here. lol I had two sims age from teen to adult last round. Now I'e had the same problem as Green. Their bars says 29. I'm so confused. Everyone's ages are fine. They are teh ages that I set in SimPE.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Riverdale, did you try what I suggested above, with the aging down and back up again? I don't know why only two would not be working - it's supposed to be global...?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yeah, I did the aging down then back up. I don't know why it's not working. I think I'll reboot then fire up the game, age down then back up. After I reset the adult age again. Maybe it will work this time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It worked! THANK YOU! I hesitated to load my game up again because I was scared to try this, but it was easy as pie with the SimBlender!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you Laura so much for the in-depth explanation. I think I'll jump on board the "2 year rounds" train as it seems so much better than the system I'm using now. Pregnancies and uni students will be so much easier to handle with this kind of system. Although I'm sure I'll be able to mess it up somehow anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello I'm an aspiring blogger who loves your work. I'm 13 and am addicted to your writing style. Currently I am starting to practice blogging during my advanced english classes where you can start your own website/ blog. Your system is facinating and soo much easier than some other admin systems but i'm going to tweak it to suit my organisation skills (next to none). I'm looking forward to your next blogs on how you do it and I hope you reply with any tips.
    Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Emma, just be careful what you read here - these stories are meant for adults, and I'm sure there might be things here your parents wouldn't want you reading.

    As far as blogging, just keep at it, and do a little bit at a time. The most successful thing you can do for a blog (of any kind) is to commit to it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Laura, I apologise in advance if the answer to my question is incredibly obvious or if I shouldn't have posted in this post!
    Just a quick question as I'm very interested in this play/ageing style, but does this mean each household is only ever played for the same season?
    For example, if Household A gets 'January' and that's 'Summer' of '2010', would they always end up being played in January (Summer) of every second year?
    I really hope that makes sense!
    I'll keep checking back here for a reply =)
    Thank You in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anon, I personally switch up my families/months every round, but I've also seen some people following the same family/month order for each round. Just do whatever makes the most sense for your game or story! I like to switch mine though, because then I can choose which family I want to spend time with, depending on what's happening in the neighborhood story. :)

    ReplyDelete