August 2076, Andy and Claire Bradshaw are 51, Amelia is 21.
(This post is part story update/ part gameplay notes on studying abroad!)
Claire reads in the news that Lakeside Heights' financial experts are predicting an economic downturn in the coming years (courtesy of slower skilling by corduire at MATY) where it could prove to be very hard to find good jobs. Andy and Claire feel that since they can afford it, they want Amelia to have every opportunity she can.
Lake City University has begun a brand new study abroad program with Takemizu Academy in Takemizu Village. Students will enroll for a year-long course, costing $6000 (compared to $3000 a year at LCU) - airfare, lodging, and food is additional. But the hefty price assures a studious and relaxing atmosphere where students can focus their attention and excel!
(study abroad is made possible thanks to base hood university mods by Lion (and Argon) at MATY)
Andy and Claire break the news to Amelia over dinner, and Amelia is not happy about it. The problem, as they expected, is that Alon can't afford to go abroad with her. This isn't a problem as far as they're concerned. They don't think their daughter needs to be tied down, especially at this tender age, and especially to the kind of guy who would mess around with his girlfriend's cousin.
Much crying ensues.
With flamboyant hand gestures, Andy is able to convince his daughter that there is a whole wide world out there, and that Alon will still be here when she gets back. Amelia finally agrees to go.
Amelia moves into the Offices for Study Abroad on the LCU campus.
(This is just a simple 1x1 lot, a resting stop/gathering place for all the students who will be studying abroad in the year. I have my study abroad students living in their own residence so that when they go away, there won't be other students unable to be played left at home. Also this enables students who might not know each other well enough yet to go on the same trip together, which they would not be able to do otherwise. Make sure you book a long enough trip for the amount of semesters you want to play. I use the 6 night/7 day trip for two semesters.
Before the trip, each student should be equipped with one of Inge's electronic prisoner tags, so that they aren't caught wandering around the neighborhoods when they should be half a world away. You'll want to do this before they leave, because if your residence is a hotel, you wont be able to access their inventory while they're there.)
Amelia says goodbye to Alon. There is kissing as well as promises of "I'll call you every day, every hour, every minute!" And of course, since a year apart is a really long time, they make time to say goodbye properly ;)
Awww, don't look so sad, Amelia. You're going to have a blast!
(setting up for study: Amelia's hotel room has a computer already where she can write her term papers, and room to spawn her a semester tester. Her semester bar will turn into a vacation bar, but that's okay because you can mark time by the semester tester popup. Don't forget to place the gold record!
To get the reward items and other residential only items like the college adjuster onto these foreign community lots proved to be quite tricky. I had the lot zoned as a residence, had LCU's university president buy the lot as a vacation home, unlockcareerrewards a bunch of times, place the items there, stay-things shrub before she sold the lot back, enter the lot again and change zoning to community)
note: if you place a gold record on the community lots where they'll be visiting, they can even go to class from community lots just like on the real uni campuses.)
Takemizu Academy exists on two lots, the residence hotel, and the college hall. Students are also free to wander the rest of beautiful and quaint Takemizu Village.
Courses offered at Takemizu Academy include: visual arts, drafting, music, classical dance, science research, medicine, robotics, speech, botany, astronomy, agriculture, toy crafting, flower crafting, and sewing.
Benefits provided to Takemizu Academy students include: spacious rooms each with its own computer and bathroom, a quiet patio in the back where students can relax and enjoy a cup of tea, fully functioning communal kitchen, housekeeping (or shall I say worthless housekeeping?), and students in Takemizu Village are permitted 72 hours per semester whereas LCU students only get 48.
So Amelia settles into life here at Takemizu Academy, goes to classes, does her assignments, works on her term paper, and will take her final, just like at home.
And she calls home to tell Alon how much she misses him.
You just might even have a coach stop by and tell you to work out while you're having tea, or encounter a visit from streakers, mascots, or cheerleaders. I don't mind them at home at LCU, but at Takemizu Academy, I ban them with the visitor controller, because it's just not that kind of place :)



















Very nice set-up. I was wondering how I would introduce study aboard to my base hood university and you did an excellent job describing your system. Hope Amelia has lots of fun and I love your blog. The quality of the story and photos is amazing.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the very kind words!
ReplyDeleteStudy abroad is fun, and I think Amelia will be just fine once I get her out on the town a little :)
What an incredibly cool and very complicated idea. I could never pull that kind of thing off. I love seeing all the different way people play and make hacks work for them. What a way to revitalize the Uni experience!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool!!! And you have a lovely blog here! A lot of reading to keep me busy... :-)
ReplyDeleteJen, thanks, and welcome! Read away! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a super cool idea. I'm not sure I could attempt it but it would be super fun
ReplyDeleteWow, indeed, what a supercool idea - study abroad! I have way too many custom colleges in my hood already, so I'll file this away for future reference!
ReplyDeleteThis goes over my head a bit as I never went into TS2 that deep. But I must say, I find it fascinating nonetheless. It I ever take up TS2 again, your blog will be my first port of call. Golden tips! :)
ReplyDeleteMoondaisy, yes, this is pretty heavily modified, but a lot of fun! :)
ReplyDeleteI love how you use the base hood university and I'm trying to make it work with my sims in Chantilly but it doesn't seem to work. They get the notice that class is in an hour but no option to go to class, do assignments or write a term paper.. any suggestions? I have gone through the tutorial from MATY with no luck.
ReplyDeleteAndrea, hmmm, a few things you might try:
ReplyDelete- have you placed the uni gold record on the lot? There has to be one present on every lot you want to behave as a uni lot.
- were you sure to download both mods from MATY? I know there's two pieces to it.
If neither of those things help, then I'd suggest looking for a mod conflict. Try the mod, without any other hacks, in a test hood and see if it works then.
Hope you figure it out!
I think I have it working. I just did a delete and re-download of the record (both parts). That may have been the problem.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the help.
Your study abroad is very cool!! I also love your story I read it everysec I can. One thing I hate about the sims 2 university is that your sim actually gets money to go to college, I I want to download something that make them pay for college. Any help?
ReplyDeleteChels, thank you! Glad you're enjoying it! I don't personally know of any mod that charges money for university, but a lot of us do just make up our own tuition fees. You can even set up a Sim as your University treasurer, and your students can pay their tuition fees to that Sim using whatever system you normally use for your money transfers (ie. Monique's computer, or putting objects in the inventory...). Hope that helps!
ReplyDeleteFascinating! It's all a bit beyond me, at least at this time, but then again, the possibilities are endless. Love reading about them if nothing else.
ReplyDeleteI love your stories and your game play notes. But there is one thing driving me a bit mad. There are no pictures anymore because the server they are on is no longer working. While I can use my imagination to a point where some of the pictures would have been, it would be so much better to actually see the real thing, especially when you are explaining things like in this post. Is there anything I can do about this? :-)
ReplyDeleteSorry about that. Photobucket is the problem. They just murdered the hosting on everyone's blogs. Now they want people to pay for an upgraded account to link images on external sites, like we do here with our sims blogs. I already knew they were a shitty company way back in the day, which was why I began to host my own images on my author website space, which I pay for and can do what I like with. That change was sometime in 2009 or so, and I've been working (slowly) on reuploading the images from older posts ever since. Problem is, I wrote a LOT in 2008. There are like 125 posts left to update still. I will get to them all eventually, but it's very time consuming. You will be happy to find that from about December 2008 forward, the pictures are all fixed. You're almost there, lol! But sorry, I know it's more fun to read with the pictures.
DeleteAww, thank you, Laura. That certainly explains why the earliest posts have the pics, now I'm in pic desert, then we go back to pics again. :-D That's what I was going to do with my blog, but ah, I didn't write the blog. Then I lost my Windows computer (and everything else I own. long story), so I gave up that subscription to my own site. Once I do get the proper computer and I go back to playing again, I will return to that idea. Yes, I find photo hosting to be very disappointing. :-)
Delete