Tax Day, an Easier Way:
I've tried the whole Sim-economy thing before, where you charge your Sims taxes, and set up a town budget for everything. I always gave up because it took so long to load each household, and get the money to the right person. It was hardly fun, and fun is the point of playing a game, you know? ;)
Maybe everyone else has already figured this out, but why not use teleportation??? :)
First, over a few play sessions before tax day, I made note of each household's net worth, from the neighborhood view. This is pretty quickly done, and the net worth includes property value and the cash bank balance. (I'm doing property tax, but if you're doing income taxes, you can skip this step.)
First I set up Madison with a little home office to operate from. All of the household funds in the Governor's estate are public funds and will be used for community projects - Madison and Bryson have to keep all of their personal money in bank accounts for the entire period they live in the Governor's estate.
Once her office is set up, tax day begins!
This year, they are paying 20% of their net property worth, cash balance, and any investment balances. Then they are allowed a $1500 credit for married couples, and $1000 for each eligible dependent. Once they are teleported into the office, they can either make a withdrawl from their bank account, or if they don't have money in a bank account, Madison will place mortgage shrubs of the proper amount in their inventory to take home with them. I use the mortgage shrubs rather than the loans from Monique's computer because the computer charges much higher interest, though the computer loans are another valid way to go if you prefer.
Madison is doing 20% this term, and Abigail looks disappointed! Well, they have a lot of money, and no dependents to claim. That's a fat $11,916 for them. Abigail pays by withdrawing the money directly from her bank account into the the County's funds.
After she's paid, I use the teleporter to clear off all non-residents. We don't want too many Sims hanging around and clogging up our lot.
They don't really have to sit down, this is just for show ;) In fact, it moves more quickly if only the person paying sits down at the computer. Or if they're just taking home mortgage shrubs, you don't even need to unpause the game.
Most of my Sims don't have enough extra to keep in bank accounts, and end up taking home mortgage shrubs to pay off.
As well, money set aside in children's bank accounts for college and/or trust funds is not taxed until they turn eighteen (or twenty-three, if they're in college). Sophie and Micah have $4500 in exemptions - $1500 for filing jointly, and $1000 for each eligible dependent, which now includes Hayden, Summer, and Ryanne. Anyone being supported by the heads of household counts as a dependent. Animals don't count, lol. College students count until they graduate.
Some taxpayers hang around and chat for a while. Madison has been friends with Sophie and Micah since high school.
LOL @ Cameron, looking like he wants to eat Madison alive! Bella is thinking, what the hell is he looking at??? I think Madison is thinking the same thing!
7.) In total, Madison collects $154,184 from Lake County's 94 playable Sims. But that's not all... because those 94 represent only 1/8 of Lake County's total resident population (including all the NPC's and townies that live in the area) she also gets to collect another $1,079,288!!! Because townies use those community lots too! Whoa, that's a huge budget! But it has to last four years, and any community projects must be spent using that money! I use the familyfunds cheat to add this amount to the County funds.
(I don't think I will make her own each of those public lots - because that would mean having to actually play each one of those lots as a business, and I have no interest in doing that. But I will track how much money is spent improving those lots, and it will be deducted from the County funds.)
Overall, the process goes smoothy, and is fairly simple. It took much less time than if I would have loaded twenty-something different households!
He says, "Way too much, Madison. Way too much!"
She already knows it was way too much. She got the same complaint from her brother Andy - he and Claire could have bought a vacation home with the $9900 they paid! She hopes people aren't too mad about it. If she's elected a second term, she'll definitely lower taxes! But then, they always promise that, don't they?
She says, "I'm new at this. I'm learning."
Bryson is a business man, and very serious about his bank balances. He says, "It's not a learn-on-the-job kind of thing."
If you're curious...
Lake County's Highest Net Worths:
1.) Bryson and Madison Riley ($245,000)2.) Cabe and Ashlee Deppiesse ($89,058)
3.) Matthew and Leila Watts ($85,324)
4.) Talin and Abigail Collins ($62,081)
5.) Jeremy and Alice Nova ($57,385)
No need to list the poorest, because that would just be rude, lol :)
I'm interested to see what the highest business net worths will be too, and I'll edit them in here next time I play. Of course, top will be the Riley Estates Company and its dozen-or-so properties, lol. But otherwise, I bet it will be most of the same people, the Watts' farm, Ashlee Deppiesse's restaurant, and maybe also the Jackson family's arcade, or Jolie, Jolie?
Misc:
- most families paid between $1000 and $2000.
- 54% of the tax revenue came from residents of Lakeside Heights, 39% from Lake City, and 7% from Bluewater Township.
- the next round of taxes will be due April of 2084.
*** ETA ***
Current tax rates and payment schedules are always being updated, and the most current information can be found on the Lake County Public Pages.
I think I've said it before :D but I really like these posts detailing how you play. I like seeing the methods you've worked out for how to handle certain aspects of the town.
ReplyDeletePoor Bryson! LOL! I guess not even being married to the mayor gets you a tax break. ;)
Wow. I'm a total idiot about maths, so my tax system had to be dumbed down to the very barest of essentials! I'm in awe of yours - fantastic.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds really complex, but when you explain it, it seems easy to implement and even kind of fun. I like how some of the folks were chatting with Madison in the Tax Office. It made the scene look so REAL!
ReplyDeleteMatthew and his wife should be really happy they are doing so well. That's a ton of money from a family farm!
Thanks Shana! I'm full of gameplay ideas this week it seems. I've got one more to post tonight or tomorrow, lol. I actually just want to plug through to the next round (there's only a few updates left!), but I keep thinking of new things to try out.
ReplyDeleteSullivan, thanks! I'm using a calculator for all this, trust me ;)
Beverly, their farm is getting pretty huge! They're going to need to have more babies to help out, lol. But his storyline is that he inherited the farm from his parents, so he didn't start from scratch. And it also helps that she comes from money too - her father was a very successful lawyer and she came with a $30,000 trust fund, lol. (Her family moved away after her father had an illicit "oops" moment with Claire Bradshaw!) That all happened long before I started this blog though.
I've decided to set up a tax office like you describe--it seems a great solution. However, the link to Monique's computer isn't working for me...I found Monique's computer on MTS2, but it does say its not supported and BV is the last EP listed. Do you have AL and if so, did you need to update this object? Thanks so much.
ReplyDeleteBen, ack, dead links! I'll try to have a look around for it when I have some time. My first guess would be to look on MATY.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDeleteOh mine, your sim citizens must all walk home with headaches on top of mortgage shrubs. If I am a sim wanting to live in Lakeside Height, I will need to hire an income tax lawyer lol.
ReplyDeleteI'm back looking at this post again because I've decided to complicate things for myself next time I do taxes in Sullivan! LOL.
ReplyDeleteI have a question which is probably more of a clarification. So you note down the net worth of all households, then teleport them in and check their bank balance. Are they taxed on whatever money they have in their account too? I was assuming yes but I wasn't positive.
I had another question but it's completely flown out of my head now! But I did want to say that I like the idea of a married couple credit. I was already doing the credits for dependents (the same way as you) but I'm going to add that in too.
It's so funny that you said "community enrichment" because that's the exact phrase I think of when I'm justifying to myself why my Sims don't pay taxes on their businesses (it's really because I'm too dumb and lazy to bother thinking it through!)
Carla, yes, you're right, they are taxed on the total of both their net worth plus their bank balance.
ReplyDeleteI know, I'm way too lazy to try to calculate the business taxes as well, lol! :)
I know that I'm digging up an old thread, but I thought you could use this. I've created an easy-peasy tax return form. It makes the math very simple. And yes, I work in accounting AND currently working towards an accounting degree.
ReplyDeleteHere my thread: http://laurelcrossing.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/gameplay-notes-tax-collection-preview/
Laurel, thanks! I'll give it a look! I'm sure all of us doing Sim-taxes will find it useful :)
ReplyDelete