ETA: a sort of follow-up to this, an extended look at modifications and work-arounds for different height kissing.
Stretching skeletons is doable for all age groups. For comparison's sake:
Liza is turning 12 in August, so I've made her a little taller. It makes her look like a bean pole, but I really like the differences. It looks much better to make my 12 year-old teens a little shorter instead of making children any taller than Liza is here. The goal of this is that when 11 year-old Liza transitions from a tall child to a short teen at age twelve, the change will be gradual - like she grew boobs overnight, lol, which is actually pretty realistic for a lot of pre-teen girls.
Something close to gradual aging? ;)
The cheat, if you need it: StretchSkeleton [factor]
This is a multiplication factor, so 2.0 would mean double size, and 0.5 would mean half size. Go ahead and play around with this cheat if you want - you can't do any damage as the changes are wiped as soon as you leave the lot.
The in-game cheat works just as well as making the changes in SimPe, except it's not permanent. Because I age my Sims so slowly, it would be worth it for me to make the permanent changes in SimPe, so that they're already adjusted when I load their lot, or when they show up on community lots. Those of you who age them more quickly probably wouldn't want to bother. But because my Sims stay in one age group for so long, and are such varied ages within those groups, I'd like my 17 year-old teens to look different than my 12 year olds. My 11 year old children to look different than my 5 year olds. And my 3 year old toddlers to look different than my 18 month old toddlers.
In my game, I followed this tutorial for SimPe, to make the changes permanently - that is, permanent until age transition, when they'll revert to Maxis default. But the process is actually simpler than this tutorial describes. I've written up my steps here instead... Make sure you back up your neighborhood first! And you probably shouldn't be messing around in your character files unless you're already somewhat familiar with SimPe. If you bork your Sims, I can't help you fix it...
1.) Load your neighborhood, and under Resource Tree, click on Sim Description (SDSC). This will load all of your Sims and you can browse to find the exact Sim you want to modify.
2.) Once you've found your Sim, you can access their character data from the "more..." tab... Open Character File.
3.) Now, in the Resource Tree, click on Age Data (AGED), there's only one file, and click on that.
4.) Select "stretch (dtSingle)"... and modify the default number in the "Value" box.
5.) Commit, and Save Package. That's all! Easy-peasy :)
ETA: a PRICELESS time-saving tip from Sari at Wellington, if you intend on modifying more than one Sim - do step 1 as described.
Then once you have your list of Sim Descriptions, you can go through each Sim you intend on modifying, look at their character file number under the "more" tab, but DO NOT open the character file. Just note the character file number. Carry on and note all the character file numbers of those Sims you wish to modify.
When you're finished, go ahead and open the character file of one of them, and carry on to step 3.
For the next Sim you wish to modify, you can open their character file straight from the "open" menu, without having to load the whole neighborhood first.
Finally, be glad you've been granted this knowledge, because a lot of us had to do it the long way first, lol! :)
The strange thing is that they can angle their necks to look at each other when they're just standing, but I guess they didn't think to program the same thing into kissing? Ah, well...
If anyone else is familiar with the stretch skeleton stuff, here are the numbers I'm using for reference (mine as well as yours) - this is based on an average adult height of 5'9", and I've made my own reference chart. I know other tutorials base average height calculations at 6'0", but how is that average? LOL! That isn't average for men or women! I figure 5'9" because it's a little tall for women, maybe a little short for men, and a pretty good base line for adult Sim height.
Anyway... teens, YAs, and adults (and I assume elders) work with this scale. Numbers are slightly rounded for the sake of simplicity. No need to be that anal, you know ;)
0.87 = 5' 0"
0.885 = 5' 1"
0.90 = 5' 2"
0.915 = 5' 3"
0.93 = 5' 4"
0.94 = 5' 5" (default teen height)
0.955 = 5' 6"
0.97 = 5' 7"
0.985 = 5' 8"
1.0 = 5' 9" (default adult height)
1.015 = 5' 10"
1.03 = 5' 11"
1.045 = 6' 0"
1.06 = 6' 1"
1.07 = 6' 2"
1.085 = 6' 3"
1.10 = 6' 4"
1.115 = 6' 5"
1.13 = 6' 6"
Children and toddlers work on different scales...
I am not correlating the child stretches to any actual human heights, but just their ages:
1.2 = 10/11 year-olds
1.0 = 6-9 year-olds
.93 = 4/5 year-olds
From left to right: 3 year-old Devon (toddler, 1.2), 2 year-old Bianca (toddler, default), 18 month-old Felicity (toddler 0.95), and for comparison, 5 year-old townie girl (child 0.93). Again, default toddler is 1.0.
I think the skinniness on Devon actually suits a three-year-old quite well. And I can almost believe that wobbly walk on a three year-old, but not for a four year-old. So I'll have to add my four year-olds to the child age group, and with my ages/school grades set up the way they are, this would mean two years of pre-school. Maybe that's better than avoiding them the whole year they're four, lol.
For toddlers, I will likely just use the in-game cheat, since they stay toddlers for so short a time, and you aren't likely to see toddlers out on community lots or anything. The in-game cheat is very easily applied.
Well, there you go, something close to gradual aging, and this will surely add all kinds of new dimension to Lakeside Heights (no pun intended, lol!)
*** ETA, two more examples ***

Here is ten year-old Angelo (child, 1.17) and his little sister, four year-old Devon (child, 0.93). I have since decided that 1.17 looks better on older children, being slightly less extreme.

And fourteen year-old Lucy (teen, default, 0.94) and her little sister, twelve year-old Sarah (teen, 0.87).
Stretching skeletons is actually used in a few stories. I've tried it, since my males aren't supposed to be -shorter- than my females, but I find it messes animations and proportions up way too much to be of any use.
ReplyDeleteUsing it for in-game aging is an interesting concept, though. I am always amazed at how you're going very in-depth with this hood!
That's pretty cool. I like the beanpole look - that was what I was like (was being the operative word there).
ReplyDeleteMy Sims age 5 days per rotation though, so I'd have to enter a new height probably at least every two days if I did this! So I'll just observe you instead. ;)
I love how you're diving into this game at its fullest! It's so enjoyable to read about all the ideas you have!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mao - I just add a little bit at a time, and I guess after as long as I've been playing, it adds up :)
ReplyDeleteSullivan, yeah, five days would be a lot of aging :) Are you playing your days to equal years too?
Simmington, thank you!
I've tried stretching skeletons before, but I got so upset when I saw that the kissing didn't match up for adults. But that was way back when I only had the base game, and I really don't take that many pictures of kissing. I think it looks like tons of fun to have different heights! Thanks for sharing this with us!
ReplyDeleteMandie, yeah, it is upsetting to lose the kissing. But then I got to thinking that Sim-kissing actually looks pretty silly, lol :) And whenever I do take pictures, it's often right before or after the actual kiss, because it looks so silly. So I'll just match the height back when I need to, like for weddings or whatever.
ReplyDeleteYou read my mind! Just yesterday, I was thinking that I hoped different heights would be included in Sims3, because I've never understood skeleton stretching. Then I check your blog, and you've explained it all. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteGlad it helped, Beverly! This would work really well for your story, since you're not doing aging.
ReplyDeleteYours is very detailed. I plan on doing something similar when I get my hood off the ground but never thought to make it permanent. Such a good idea
ReplyDeleteOh damn! I do that also! Before a teen of mine goes to university, I always make him/her a little taller than the other teenagers. Another example would be this one Sim, Jessie James, that has to be a little bit taller than the average height because she's a model. Just little tidbits like that. heh :) Anyway, it's awesome to see more people doing the same thing in-game!
ReplyDeletePreteen body style, if you don't have it.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=56505
And some more clothes for it.
http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=105023&c=1
http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=59725
Rory, thanks for the links. I'll have a look :)
ReplyDeleteWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletedoes this count for sims3?????
ReplyDeleteAnon, no, sorry this only works for TS2.
ReplyDeleteFor TS3 you want height sliders. Check on my TS3 CC page, and look under the "essential mods" section, and you should find a link there. I can vouch that they work for EPs up through Late Night, but I don't know about more recent EPs, since I haven't played in quite a while. :(