Thursday, April 8, 2010

family trees and photoshoots

*the family photoshoots are a work in progress*

The Brant/Harris Family:
(gen 0, 1, 2, 3, 4: includes Fortney, Bradshaw)

The Bradshaw/Riley Family:
(gen 1, 2, 3, 4: includes Gibson, Buchanan, and Kim)

The Nova/Phoenix Family:
(gen 1, 2, 3, 4: includes Collins, Hathe, and Day)

The Ramirez/Shaw Family:
(gen 1, 2, 3, 4:)

The Deppiesse Family:
(gen 2, 3, 4: includes McCullough, and Bradshaw)
2083 Deppiesse photoshoot

The Lind Family:
(gen 2, 3, 4: includes Harris)

The Centowski Family:
(gen 2, 3, 4: includes Gallagher)

The Jackson Family:
(gen 3, 4: )

The Monif Family:
(gen 3, 4: )

The Miller Family:
(gen 3, 4: )

The Thompson Family:
(gen 3, 4: )

So, would you all mind having a look at these for me. If you all think these are okay, I'll get to the remaining families eventually. I'm sharing them via giving you all the invited family member link for a member of each tree... which might be a little bit of a cheat, lol!

And which also means it allows you to edit this one member of the tree... so please don't sabotage anything.

Do they work? Can you see them? Do you like them? Do you like the old version (text and bullet points) better? I'll keep the old versions archived for a while until we're sure what we're doing here :)

9 comments:

  1. I like it! It looks really spiffy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Yup, they're looking great - very clear.

    When you were using Family Echo, did you happen to notice if there's any provision for gay couples? With Tribal Pages, I always have to change one partner to the opposite sex which is my biggest complaint about that site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for testing it out, guys! :)

    Carla, yes, it appears gay couples are allowed. I tested it by changing Orion's PT to a male, lol!

    But geeze, where are my gen. 2 gay couples??? How about some diversity up in here???

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! Maybe I'll use this for my hood family trees too... I've been experimenting with the programs I use for my r/l family history, but all I can produce for the blog, is screen shots of the family lines displayed similar to your text version. This is much nicer!

    I have a question too, how does this deal with children born out of marriage? I've used four different commercial or freeware programs for my r/l family history and they all call it a 'marriage' if a couple produces a child, which is and always has been totally unrealistic in the real world!

    I've got a couple in my r/l history who lived together for 16 years in the 1800's and had 6 children, while his legal wife was still alive. If none of these programs can cope with that accurately, I'm not surprised they're having trouble with some of my sim situations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blackcat, I'm finding this very easy to use so far! Have a look at the Deppiesse tree for children born out of marriage. It shows Kent with a thick line to Felicia, which means marriage - then thin lines to Eliza (divorce) and the PT (no relationship, lol!). I haven't done it yet, but you can further specify on the notes (in the left sidebar) what kind of relationship it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the late response Laura... I just noticed your questions.

    When you are editing a family in FamilyEcho there is a button on the bottom that say download/export this family. Click it. It will take you to another screen with a bunch of options. Choose Dynamic HTML,which will download a zip file to your computer. From there all you have to do is unzip the file and upload all the components to a host.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that looks amazing! I love it. The visual representation is so much easier to understand for me. Plus I like that you can click around and get to the other trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Laura... this is great, I may use this for my sim family trees AND my r/l one... whenever I find someone else researching some branch of my r/l tree, I send them my file with a lot of annotations explaining things... seems like it would be much easier just to direct them to a site like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monique, oh, okay, thanks, I see it now! There are a lot of files, lol!

    Lunar, you can't really get to the other trees unless I added them all to one big one. But I am trying to make notes for when a married-in member also belongs to another tree.

    Blackcat, that is handy, how you can invite family members to add to the tree. That seems like it would be really useful for a RL tree!

    ReplyDelete