Friday, April 16, 2010

bad karma

October 2083 - Chad and Riley Hathe are 34, Liza is 14, Shaun is 6. (Fiona McCullough is 16, Robbie is 13.)


Chad found this one morning, a ratty old vest he used to wear in high school. Yes, high school was fifteen years ago, but it still fits, and it helps him to relive all those long-forgotten days, before children, before marriage. He can hardly remember those days as it is. But his wife is not nearly as amused.

"Oh hell," Riley says, twisting up a scowl at him.

"What," he says. "It still fits. You remember this? I wore it all through high school. It was rad."

"It was not rad, even in high school. You look like a fool."

Behind them, Liza is laughing.


Riley sits down. "You're taking Shaun today," she says. "I have some dogs to show. And then later this week too. I promised my dad I'd drive out to see my sister this week."

"What's wrong with your sister?"

"Oh, who knows," she says, shrugging her shoulders. "And you should take that thing off."

"You used to love this in high school. You said you did."

She smirks at him. "I just said that because I was sixteen and wanted you to drive me around in your car. So you should take it off. You should burn it too."


So Chad brings his son to work sometimes. "Now this, kiddo, is what we call real work," he says.

It's not actually legal to let a minor gamble, so Shaun just sits and keeps score, making careful note of every play. But before they open, Chad pulls out the chips and lets Shaun earn double his allowance... that is, if he can beat his old man. He can, sometimes. And you'd better believe he could out-bluff any other man at this table.


"Well, don't just stand there," he says, as a newcomer approaches the table. His tone is bold in his six years of age, but still pitchy. "Ante's a hundred bucks, you in or what?"

***


After school one day, Fiona tells Liza and Robbie she wants to show them something. They follow along, not that they really had much choice. When Fiona orders something, people just tend to obey.

They pass by trees and more trees to the point they can't see or even hear the main road anymore. Then they can see it, an old cottage, deep in the woods. It's abandoned, Fiona told them, but they both check around and behind them, waiting for some owner to show up and run them off the property with a dog, or a rifle in his hand. But no one comes.

"Have you been here before?" Liza whispers.

"No," Robbie says.

Liza is wearing high heels that Fiona bought for her and they hurt her feet, the heels cutting into her skin and rubbing it raw. She feels inclined to take them off and walk barefoot, and she isn't sure which would be worse, the heels, or the tiny pebblestone path they're walking on. Fiona said she needed them though, to look more like a girl, but walking in these makes her feel even more ungirly than she already was.

Robbie sees her wincing on each step. "How are you gonna climb trees in those?"

"They come off," she says. "See?" She takes them off and carries them the rest of the way in her hands.


Fiona can't keep this stuff at home. The books and candles she bought, this large iron kettle she got at a garage sale. She doesn't have a job, but she does have a boyfriend who will do pretty much anything she says and buy her anything she wants. She also lets him feel her boobs though, which is really the point of the trick.

She looks frightened as she brings some water to a boil in the pot. "You guys stand back," Fiona says. "I exploded something once."


She brings them over when she's finished. "Eye of newt," she says.

"You killed a newt?"

"Yeah, so what?"

"Are you gonna eat it?"

"No!" Fiona says. "Gross, why would I eat it?"

Liza shrugs - it's something her mother told her, if you're going to kill and animal, if you're going to wear its fur, you'd better be eating the damn thing. By proxy, Liza can feel her humanitarian mother's skin crawling. "How many did you kill?"

"I don't know," Fiona says. "Like seven or eight."


Fiona goes to wash her hands. Robbie hands her two eggplants he's been carrying around all afternoon. He worked all summer at the Watts farm and is always showing up places with free fresh produce in hand. "Mr. Watts said they're good for you," he says. "They make you think better."

"Oh, cool," Liza says, not sure what she's supposed to do with two whole eggplants.


"I've got a real present for you!" Fiona says. "I'm trying to work on my karma, so we're gonna go out. I finally found somebody who might date you. I'll fix everything up."

"Can I come?" Robbie asks.

"No, stupid," Fiona says. "Like, a date. Twelve year-olds don't date."

"I'm thirteen," he says.

Fiona just continues. "It's about time you had a real boyfriend," she tells Liza. "We'll have to get you in something cuter, you need to look more like a girl."


"I think you look like a girl," Robbie says.

"Thanks, Robbie," she says.

"Nobody asked you," Fiona says.

***


"I'm going out later," Liza tells her mom one evening. "I don't need a ride, Fiona's driving."

"Fiona drives? Fiona drives??? When did that happen? Is she a good driver?"

"She only just got her license last month, but she's okay, I guess."


Liza puts down her controller. She's unsure. "I guess I have a date," she says.

"What? A date? With who?"

"I don't know, one of Fiona's friends."


It hits Riley like bricks. Her daughter is fifteen soon, how did she grow up so fast? She's in high school and going on dates? Riley knew she was fifteen, of course, but Liza never acted her age, and suddenly here she is in high school, riding in cars, going on dates? Riley was only three years older than that herself when she got pregnant with Liza. She's not ready for this.

"Do you even like boys yet?"

"Some of them," Liza says. "Most of them are annoying."


Riley smiles. "Well, that doesn't change. I don't know, I guess it feels like just yesterday you were out climbing trees with Robbie."

Liza nods. "Oh, I was."

"So, you know," Riley says. "We talked about these things before."

"Mom!" Liza squeals. "I know, I already told you I'm not having sex until I'm thirty!"

"Good," Riley says. "I know, but you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Just say so. Anything. Like, even if you don't want to get in a car with Fiona?"


"No worries, Mom, I'll wear my seatbelt. I'll only die if we get hit, like head on by a semi or something."

***


Liza gets ready for her date at Fiona's house that night. Fiona donated an old dress she used to wear when she was twelve, but still the thing just hangs off of Liza's bony frame. Fiona did her hair too, all curly and bouncy and scented like a fresh floral breeze.


When she stands up straight, the dress falls flat against her chest.

"You know," Fiona says. "You could borrow one of my bras if you want. We could stuff it with some tissues or something."


They'd left the door cracked slightly open, and Robbie nudges his way inside.

"God, don't you knock?" Fiona says. "We're talking girl stuff in here."

"Don't laugh," Liza says to him. "I feel weird."

"You kind of look weird," he says, grinning at her. "Why is your hair all poofy like that?"

"Shut up," Fiona says. "That's what girls look like."


Fiona leads them out of her room then and down the stairs. Robbie hangs behind at the top watching them go. "You don't have to go, if you don't want to," he says. "We have movies here too."

She's almost fifteen and she's the last girl in Bluewater High School to never be kissed. And no, that's not just speculation, Fiona actually asked around the school. And it's not that she wants to kiss anyone, or this guy, tonight, but she's just a little tired of being the weird girl. It's weird that she doesn't talk to anyone but Fiona and Robbie. It's weird that she comes to school with dog hairs on her clothes. It's weird that she's in high school now, but still sits at the eighth-grade lunch table with Robbie.

She tries to act like it doesn't bother her, but it does. Nobody wants to be the weird girl.

"I can't," she says as she starts down the stairs. "But we can hang out tomorrow."


Liza gets in the van with Fiona. In truth, as torn as she is, Robbie is just a boy. What would he know how to do on a date any more than she does?

So she gets in the car with Fiona, to drive twenty-five minutes to the theater in Lakeside Heights, on country roads in the dark, which was never the part of this night she was scared of.


They stop in the bathroom first when they get to the theater. Fiona needs to check out her makeup in the mirror, even though she'd been checking it in the rearview mirror the whole way here. "Do you think my ass looks bigger?"

"Maybe it's bad karma," Liza whispers under her breath.

"My boobs are definitely bigger," Fiona says. "Definitely."


Fiona's boyfriend is named Brady. She doesn't really like him so much as just boss him around and let him kiss her and feel her up sometimes. And Liza can't remember her own date's name, though Fiona told her, maybe once. Liza is far too nervous to ask again. So she'll just keep starting each sentence with "Hey..." He doesn't seem to mind.


And the thing is, he isn't ugly, though he smells like he might have spilled an entire bottle of his dad's cologne down his shirt. He doesn't seem nervous, but she's so bad at making conversation with strangers that she just ends up quoting, line for line, some movie that she and Robbie had just watched.


"I actually liked that movie," he says. "Maybe we should watch it together some time."

"Oh, uh," she stammers. She's never watched that movie with anyone but Robbie.

But besides a few awkward silences, the date is actually going okay.


Until the movie starts, and he tries to slip his arm around her shoulders. She jumps quickly across the seat, shielding herself with her hands.

"I wasn't going to do anything," he says. "I just wanted to put my arm around you."

"No," she says. "I don't even want to do that." She feels humiliated, for both of them, but it's the truth - she's only known him forty-five minutes and that doesn't mean she wants to be touched! When she realizes both Fiona and her boyfriend have stopped making out to look over at them, she's never been more embarrassed in her life. She gets up and starts to run.

As she ducks out of the theater, she hears Fiona's boyfriend say, "What's wrong with your friend?"


She tries to call her mom first, but there's no answer. It's not like Robbie can come get her - he can't drive. He'd probably come get her on his bike - and he would too, if she asked him. But that's just silly. And there are weird people out here in the suburbs, so close to the city. It's not like out in the country, where you can walk down the street all night and barely see a car passing by.

She finally gets her dad at the club. She pleads into the payphone. "Daddy, can you come get me?"


Chad makes the twenty-five minute drive in fifteen. He's relieved to see she looks alive, healthy, and all in one piece. "What's wrong? Do I need to beat somebody up?"

"No, I'm fine," she says. "I just don't feel like being out."


"Does mom know you still have that vest?"

"No," he says. "She doesn't."


"But what do you think?" he asks her as they head to the truck. "It makes me look rad, huh? Makes me look tough?"

Liza laughs. "Sure, Dad, okay."


*******


(footnotes: Riley's sister // Fiona's new hobby)

notes: Fiona rolled the "get fat" ROS, lol! It's supposed to be a bad thing, but you know, Sims 2 bodyshapes suck, and it only makes her boobs look bigger and her ass look curvier. I'm sure she's not going to complain.

That's got to be the first ROS of the round so far, isn't it? I'm making you guys wait for these ones!

Liza is, I think, the second-shiest Sim in my game, next to Orion who has 0 outgoing points, Liza has 1. Shyness wouldn't automatically mean they wouldn't want to date, but Liza also has that unromantic streak as well, which is really making her teen years a living hell, lol! Poor girl. Why can't she just be left to read books and climb trees instead? ;)

I did find Chad a suitable shirt to wear, finally. I swear, he and Hayden are my hardest Sims to dress - it's so easy in this game to dress them stylishly, but so hard to dress them normal, lol!

19 comments:

  1. I really couldn't even tell that Fiona got fat! Fiona is definitely one of my favorites. She's such an interesting character, and poor Liza! She should be able to feel comfortable, although I can see how impossible it would be in a situation like that.

    Haha, third time I checked today and it was up! I love the Coming Soon addition. I'm a Lakeside Heights addict!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that Chad will only use that vest as a sign of his yearning to the lost of teenage life and not doing anything stupid that will jeopardize his family life. Robbie seems doing pretty well in hiding his crush to Liza. I read your blog from a year ago. I was only a simmer playing The Sims 2 at that time, not writing a blog or create anything. Your blog really interested me. First, it was Bella, and then I get attached with other characters like Amelia, Mariah, and Drew. You write their character so intense and those story is just like a real life to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! It figures that Fiona would like getting fat! Poor Liza and Robbie :( Fiona is definitely a force to be reckoned with! And how in the world did she become a good witch? I would definitely put her more on the evil side :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I'm biased because I don't like being boobless, but I think a lot of Sims look better "fat". Curves are awesome. Agreeing with the "how did Fiona become a good witch" statement, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey, Fiona's a riot, lol! Glad you're finding the "coming soon" box useful! :) I usually end up posting them at night (US EST) though if that helps, since that's when I have free time.

    M.J., awww, thanks! I'm glad their characters come across so well to you. And you think Robbie hides it well then? lol! Maybe sometimes more than others ;)

    Tessa, it was a good witch who turned her, and I didn't know that made a difference at the time - I thought she'd start off neutral. But I figure she'll explore everything at first, and her curiosities would probably tend toward exactly what you would expect ;)

    She's just been studying and collecting supplies though, I haven't even had her cast a spell yet.

    Hmmm, how could you tell she even was though? Is there a different book for the evil witch? She's still able to study the dark magic from the one she has.

    Zoe, I think the "fat" size on the female Sims looks much better than the male. The male "fat" doesn't even look human, lol! But yes, it's really not even fat, but just curvy. Sims 2 bodyshapes are just lacking. I'd be inclined to download some of the mod clothing people have made, but it sucks to have to find a piece for each clothing category and then have so few options for refreshes.

    See above about the good witch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...I guess it just feels like just yesterday you were out climbing trees with Robbie."

    "Oh, I was," Liza says.

    LOL! Liza remind me of my niece. My niece never acted her age and suddenly she's fifteen now and I'm left as flabbergasted as Riley.


    Also, love the way you worked in Chad's old shirt. I can't wait to see his real outfit. It is funny that's it's impossible to dress sims normally.

    And Robbie and Liza... oh I think these two have to be my favorite teens. (I pretty much seem to change my mind every time you update I think, but I mean it this time, lol.) I just love the way Liza's mind always goes back to Robbie when she gets nervous. And I love the way Robbie was all skulking around while Fiona tried to get Liza ready for the date. What a wonderfully subtle interplay between the two. Yeah, they're meant for something more at some point!

    And Fiona is cute "fat." I could see her being the type of girl to develop early and well. It'll help her magic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lunar, I have his outfit in their new family picture in the database, and it's nothing special, just a new black shirt. I was like, dammit, can't I just find a plain black *normal* shirt for this dude??? I could go to Target and find twelve of them in a minute, but in the Sims, nope, lol!

    Ah, Robbie and Liza... :)

    I always saw Fiona developing early too, and I love her curvy like this. Funny, she (Fiona the Sim) never cared before, but now she's got that want to get fit constantly. Probably because she's a Romance Sim, and they're paranoid about that, aren't they? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chad had me rolling on the floor laughing in that vest. You see, I was a teen when those things were in style, in the 80's! The way he thought he looked "rad!" Perfect.

    Liza is one of my favorite Lakeside Heights Sims for sure. I can really identify when her dad shows up worried, and she says she just doesn't feel like being out anymore. But good for her, not letting that guy put his arm around her if she didn't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fiona looks great as a "fat" sim. Her personality is so sassy. I love it.

    Liza and Robbie are so cute. When they grow up and mature in their relationship, I bet it is going to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Chad...puffy vests are never rad! LOL! But Shaun is adorable playing poker! I'm assuming he's not actually playing but I didn't even know kids would sit at the poker table.

    But oh, poor Liza! I have so been there...in those kind of forced date situations because everyone else thinks that's what you should be doing. Mine was never quite as awkward as Liza's was (probably because I was fortunate enough to not have friends like Fiona!) but I still could really feel for the poor kid here. I'm glad she got out of there.

    Fiona doesn't know about Liza's crush on Robbie, does she? I can imagine what she'd think. When they're older, 2 years will be nothing. If they stay interested in each other that long, that is. Kids are so fickle at that age!

    I was going to ask if Fiona's boobs actually did get bigger but I couldn't think how to ask without sounding weird! Yeah, "fat" for females in TS2 is not really fat on my planet. If only we could all be that fat! I don't mind the fat males but it seems like a very middle-aged kind of fat, so I don't tend to let my younger guys get fat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, if the person is an evil witch the spellbook is black, not white. I got really bored one day so I made about all of the paranormal stuff happen, so that's how I know :P I still don't know how to get zombie though... :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Francesca, lol! Was that really back to the 80's? Maybe into the early 90's too then, because I *know* I had one of those bad boys! lol!

    Ah, Liza, she'll always be a weird girl, maybe, but at least she has her integrity intact ;)

    Monique, we can hope, right? :) Liza is proving to be a very difficult girl in terms of romance - she and Robbie are really quite different in that respect.

    Carla, I had Shaun sitting at the other game table (forget the name), and I moved him ;)

    Ah yes, I remember quite a few unpleasant dates forced upon me in my teen years. And sheesh, even in a couple times in my twenties, lol! I never liked dating, but my BFF is a bit of a social butterfly ;)

    Fiona has to know about Robbie (because he's never very subtle, lol!) but I don't think she knows about Liza. I don't think that's probably something Liza even understands herself yet, since it's just been there woven into their relationship for as long as she can remember.

    Tessa, ah, yes, I was playing around with it yesterday and finally got her from good to neutral (man, it takes a long time!). But I quite like the neutral set, wood book stand, broom, and wand. If I were a witch, that'd be the one I'd want ;)

    I've never had a zombie either. Or a werewolf.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tessa, if you want a zombie, (they are horrific though), try to bring someone back from the dead (you have to call the grim reaper on the special phone, reward in the paranormal career I think). If you don't pay enough, they will be a zombie.

    You can also swipe the phone from a secret society lot, once inducted, or use it there.

    I only had one zombie and I couldn't stand it. They drag their leg everywhere they go and their motives are always very low and fluctuate wildly.

    Werewolf is a little more interesting; they can train pets fast. And they are only affected at night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was sure Meadow had rolled that "get fat" ROS, lol!

    I really like Liza. Why can't Fiona just let her do her own thing? (And why is Fiona doing all this for her, anyway? I sense ulterior motives.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this update. I get Liza and I feel for her. No one wants to be that strange girl. Do you watch Bones on Fox? Well she had her high school reuion last ep. and everyone remembers her as the goth or strange girl that liked dead things. I see Liza like that, but minus the dead things. LOL And her and Robbie. Once they make it to college the age thing won't be such a big deal.

    Fiona is too much, and her weight gain. I noticed it, but like you said, it really isn't that much of being "fat" they are just curvy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I personally have major love for Chad's vest. That vest brings me back to good ole high school raves.

    Poor Liza, never getting a date with the one boy she truly wants. I never had a date forced upon me. Or maybe I did but ended up actaully liking the date.

    I actaully think that Sim Fat isn't as skinny as everyone thinks it is. But then again most of my sims that end up getting fat were like super fit and then one day I noticed them and they got different.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't get enough of the look on Riley's face in that first shot, lol!

    Okay I LOVED this update. Anything with Fiona gets me going, but she was hysterical! And so was Chad and his vest.

    LOL Carla at the awkward boob question! I was going to say the same thing- she was looking curvier.

    I liked Liza's date at the movies. It was awfully sad knowing that she's never kissed anyone.

    Robbie- get on it! Your girl is waiting!

    pumped for part 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol at the puffy vest... and I love the way you made the r/l problem of finding suitable clothes a thing in the story.

    I think the puffy vests were an 80's thing because I kind of remember Michael J Fox's character in Back to the Future wearing one when he travels back in time, and someone from the past thinks he's wearing a lifejacket.

    And, yay for Liza for standing up for herself, even if it does mean people might think she's strange.

    I think whether fat sims actually look fat can depend on what they're wearing, some clothes look more fat than others... a bit like real life, you can go a long way to disguising the bumpy bits with the right clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Luminessence, it wouldn't be the first time Fiona had ulterior motives ;)

    Riverdale, lol, "minus the dead things!"

    You're right though, that the two years won't be such a big deal when they're older - so maybe they'll get their chance still some day ;)

    Victoria, there's really no difference between "fit" and "normal" so yes, it does seem shocking to see them get "fat". I think the only difference between fit and normal is a skintone change. TS3 really did a much better job with the body shapes.

    Billy, a face only Riley could make! :)

    Don't feel too bad for Liza having never been kissed. I'm not even sure yet if she *wants* to kiss anyone. It's really the last thing on her mind.

    So poor Robbie in that case, I guess, lol!

    Blackcat, seriously, that's all he had in his wardrobe! I was going *mad* trying to find him something to wear.

    True, clothing can make a lot of difference, even for the normal body size. Each clothing maker has a different aesthetic, I suppose. I try to find different shapes even within the normal range when I can.

    ReplyDelete