Monday, July 5, 2010

the brick, four vignettes

November 2083 - James Porter is 26, April Hutchins is 20 // Mariah Buchanan is 25 // Berjes Monif is 38, Jodie Larson is 28 // Beau Jackson is 20.

*soundtrack: "Brick" by Ben Folds Five *


11:13 a.m.
This is only the second time James has been back on campus since he left it, and it's bringing back memories both good and bad. These apartments weren't here when he was, and neither was the sculpture park and coffee bar on the corner. They've still got the student pub though. And that building at the end of the street, that old stuffy Academy Hall, was where he spent his senior year with Mariah.

This is only the second time he's been back on campus, and the first time was for her, the girl with the warm dark skin and bright blue eyes, the first girl he ever loved. He loved her and she spun him for one hell of a loop. He doesn't do drama. He doesn't do games, and Mariah is the reason why.

Maybe if he'd have met April a few years earlier, he might be up for it, but not now. Not after Mariah. She broke him good and clean. It's a shame she never seemed to do the same for herself.


But the way it happened, he didn't meet April a few years earlier. And the way things are, she's much more drama than he wants to deal with. But as put off as he is, she hasn't been in to work at the bar for a couple weeks and he wonders why. That's why he's here, back on campus after three years, knocking on her door.

And she answers.


"Hi," she says, which comes out like a cloud. She could read a phone book and it would feel light and breezy. And then there's her friend, the big, goofy one, standing behind her, poised and watchful like he was her body guard.

"You're lucky," she says. "I'm not usually up this early, but I have an appointment in a little bit."

"It's not early," James says. "It's almost noon."

Still, behind her, the guy stares. "You can back off, Big Brother," James says to him. "I'm just here to talk."

"It's okay," April tells him. Big Brother uncrosses his arms, and she leads them outside.


The air holds the cool chill of morning, and the sky holds dark clouds that threaten snow. April clenches her hands in her lap and moves her hips closer to steal his warmth.

James is mostly here of his own accord. Max wondered about her too, but as much as he might have liked her, Max is Max, and his college girls quit on him all the time.

"I didn't say I was quitting," she says. She cowers under her own shoulders, more than just feeling chilly. "I kind of got into this little situation," she says. "Ummm, pregnant."

"You're scared it's his?"

"I don't know, maybe."


"It's not his," James says.

"Oh," she says.

He smiles lightly. "You'd think he'd get around like he does if that could happen? He's got that shit fixed."

She nods. "I guess he would."

"Well anyway," James says. "I don't work for him anymore after this either. I'm done picking up his scraps."

"Where are you going?"

"Nowhere he'd think to look for me."


"You're going to be a tax accountant, aren't you?"

He laughs. He doesn't know how she manages to laugh sometimes, but she does.

"I think I'll get out of the city," he says. "I've always wanted to have a cabin out in the woods or something, with a dog. But I kind of have to disappear. You can't really quit a job like I have."

"So you're not going back to tell him?"

James shakes his head. "He can find out on his own. I guess I just wanted to come see if you were still alive, or something."

"I'm alive," she says.

He would kiss her, if this were some other reality, where she weren't so messed up, and involved with Max, and pregnant by whoever. He did like her. But he already knows she's too much game for him. And besides, he has a feeling Big Brother might want a kiss more. James is a peaceful kind of guy. He isn't about to move in on anybody's girl - not right here on the dude's own porch anyway.


So he stands then. But as he gets up, he does give her a good solid squeeze right on the fleshy part of her upper thigh. "Be good, April," he says.

"Yeah, you too," she says.



***


11:42 a.m.
Mariah's office is a sanctuary. It's safe because she's made it that way. It's comfortable like home, with plump goosefeather pillows and aromatherapy candles. She wants her patients to think of her as a friend. They tell her their most trusted secrets, and she wants them to feel safe here.

But maybe she felt too comfortable here herself, taking some paperwork down the hallway in an afternoon gap in her appointments. She only left her door open and unattended for a few minutes.


She almost never would have noticed the note if it hadn't been left right there by her open laptop. She stares for a moment before she's sure she'd left that pad blank. She knows it was, and she knows that's not her handwriting. She didn't see anyone coming or going, but that's for sure not her handwriting, and she has a good idea whose it is.


She lowers herself into her chair, anxiously taking in each word, afraid of what it might say. She recognizes his handwriting immediately - hard but precise, quiet and to the point. It's these moments, so unsuspecting, just when she's managed to settle back into her life, that he comes flooding back to her again. Just a few words, no address, no signature.

"You were right, it wasn't a good job. You were right about a lot of things, so you don't need to be so bitter."


She rises from her chair and she speaks out loud to her empty office. "I'm not bitter."

The memories come rushing back to her, even when she doesn't want them. Oh how they used to fight, how they argued, over anything and everything - about their careers and their lives and their friends, and even the goddamn weather! How he got under her skin. They weren't right for each other, they were all wrong, but how they got to each other, how they got into each other.

She says it again. "I'm not bitter."

She was right about how wrong they were, but he's wrong because she's not bitter. She's happy. She has everything.


She clenches her fists and she screams, "I'm not bitter!"

Her boss walks by her open door, startled, but he carries on. In the hallway, the nurses are staring.


She fumbles for her cell phone and dials her husband's number. She just needs to hear his voice, but the secretary picks up. "He's in a meeting, honey. Is it serious?"

"Serious?" she asks.

"Yes, should I tell him it's an emergency?"

"No," Mariah says. "It's not. Not an emergency."


She closes and locks her door. She puts on a quiet piano concerto, lights her aromatherapy candles and lays down with her eyes closed, trying to push the uninvited memories from her mind.

***


11:50 a.m.
Berjes wonders if maybe everyone's on edge this week. The holidays are coming up quickly, and it's just days before the elections. But holidays always put people on edge, with all the things left to finish. All the things waiting to be decided.

Does he go to his ex-wife's Christmas dinner, or doesn't he? She invited him to be there, but of course, did she really mean it or not? Does he really want to be there with the new boyfriend? Is she going to marry him? Is he better in bed?

But none of that is really important. All that really matters is what's best for their daughter, Hazel, and doesn't she deserve to have her dad there on Christmas?


And should he finally take his wedding pictures down off the wall?

Yes, he should. And he did, finally, just this fall, and replaced them with other pictures.

The pictures a person hangs on a wall, they're just one of those things that gets looked over. They blend into the scenery hardly making an impact, you hardly notice what the pictures actually contain. Hailey, how he looked over her for so many years, until finally she was gone, and here he was removing the wedding pictures of some marriage that barely had a chance to exist.

It's a lesson. Pay attention, plenty of things are snuffed out before they ever had a chance to exist.


Jodie comes into his office without barely a knock, just a light rap on the wood and there she is. She was never one to knock, even before all of this. But Berjes thinks if she's going to fight him like an enemy, then she needs to stop coming into his office like a friend.

What she's doing to him now is just infuriating. He's good at his job. He's on top of his career and he's well respected for what he does. He's done a lot for this hospital, building both the psychiatric department and the obstetrics department in his term. He gave her her job, he guided her, he helped shape her career into what it is. And this is how she pays him back?

"So I finished that proposal, for the women's clinic," she says. "I suppose you'll probably make sure it gets lost or something."

"I take my job seriously, Jodie. Your proposal will be heard."


"I never did anything cruel to you, Jodie. When did I ever do anything but help your career?"

She snickers. "Well having your job would really help my career."

"This isn't some game," he says. "This isn't a popularity contest. This is about skill and experience, and you're not taking it seriously."

"I have to go," she says. "I have an appointment in five minutes."

She starts to back away from him, but he's not done with her yet. He's not.


It surprises her that he takes her hand. It even surprises himself. He expects the cold touch of her skin this time, her fingers so small and icy in his own. He feels inclined to hold them until they're warm, but he knows she won't let him touch her that long. He says, "I didn't want to end up resenting you over this."

For a moment she stops, she pauses, her face softens, her eyes grow wide as if split right open. Something seems to resonate.


But then she snatches her hand away, pulling it close to her chest, tucked firm underneath the other. "Well, that's your choice, isn't it?"

He's said all he can say to her. Now, he's done.

"I have an appointment," she says. "I have to get changed."

***


12:03 p.m.
Beau sits down to wait as April goes to sign in at the counter. There's a clock on the wall, and she's actually three minutes late. Beau wonders if this is like at the dentist, where they make you wait an extra half hour, just out of spite, for being late. It's like punishment.

"Are you nervous?" he asks her, as she settles down beside him.

"No, I don't think so," she says. She stares at him for a moment, edging on a thought. "Do you think my mom thought about doing this to me? Because my mom was single, she didn't know whoever the hell my dad was, she could have done this to me."

"But she didn't," Beau says.

"But maybe she should have. Because now I'm here, and I'm a wreck."


"Do you think I would have been reborn to somebody better? Do you think I'd be different, in some other life? I'd be happier?"

"I don't know," he says. "I'm glad you're here."

She watches the corridor, the nurses coming and going. She doesn't take her eyes away. "Sometimes I wonder if you'd be better off without me."


A nurse comes around the corner. "April Hutchins," she says. There's a catch in April's breath, and she sits so still that the nurse says her name again. "April? She's ready for you."

"Okay," April says, not to the nurse, but softly to Beau. Then she stands, and follows the nurse down the hall.


For a few minutes, Beau tried to read some magazines. Mostly fashion magazines, women dressed like metal birds, and advertisements for makeup. He watches the people come and go, some pregnant, some not, some trying to have babies, some trying not to have them. He's never been in a women's clinic before. He doesn't even know how many pregnant women he's seen before, all up close, and round.

He goes downstairs to use the bathroom. He gets a bag of cookies from the vending machine, and a bottle of Coke. There's lots of time to wait, but he wants to be there when she comes out.


He feels inclined to proclaim that this was not his fault, but that would mean confessing why they're here. And for now, no one knows. He tries not to look at them. Some of them try not to look back. How many roomfuls of women sit down to wait and then get called in? He starts to keep count, but then he loses it. He starts counting again from the beginning.


She'll be better after this. He can help her. He can love her and help her get better, and then they'll both be better. They can start all over again. And if they lose track along the way, they'll start again from the beginning. They have to. Because the further she sinks, the more he can feel himself drowning.


One hour and forty-seven minutes pass, two attempts to read the magazines, thirteen nameless women come and gone, and then April is there, standing in front of him, her face an ashy void.

He stands.

"Okay," she says. "It's done."


The hallway back to the elevators seems to take forever to traverse. At the mouth of the hallway, the doors stand open, and icy cold air rushes into the building. Outside there are flurries filling the sky, melting quickly at the pavement before they've even had a chance to land.

He reaches his arm around her waist, pulling her even closer as they break the barrier into cold. He takes her home.


*******


(footnotes: James // Mariah // April, Beau)

notes: please pardon my very badly drawn note in Mariah's scene... and the badly drawn snow in the last shot. The first snowfall of the season actually happened earlier in the day, and I wanted the snowfall for the last shot, but I couldn't make it happen again for some reason. So I drew it ;)

19 comments:

  1. Laura and her art skillz! lol Don't worry they were both really good.

    So much happened in this update. I loved Mariah screaming that she's not bitter. ROFL Poor woman. I wonder when she'll finally get over him? But do you ever truly get over your first love? They sit there in the back of your mind, sneeking in when you least expect it. :)

    April went through with it. I knew that she would, but I think this will finally be the wake up call that she needs. If not, then I have no idea what will happen with her. And at least for Beau's sake, I hope she is able to heal and let him heal with her.

    Ahhhh! Jodie. I want her to be happy, and I know she wants to be happy, but you get more flies with honey. She still hasn't learned that yet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was kinda hoping that April would keep it. Does this mean that James will be moving away? No more James? I had started to kinda like him. Crossing fingers for a Jodie romance. Can't have her change her personality all that much but it would be a nice change for her. I love how all of the vignettes and came together.

    Question though (that I actually want answered as opposed to the previous rhetorical questions in this comment): Where did you get the painting from the Beau, April and James' picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this update, especially the way all the characters interlinked and formed a little circle. I've been meaning to ask (and sorry if this has been asked already): did April roll the 'preggy' ROS for this round or was it a storytelling/gameplay decision?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riverdale, lol! I don't know about really good, but they did the job right? :)

    I think every person and every first love is probably widely different. I think also a lot probably has to do with why the relationship ended. Me, personally, I ditched mine and got over it in a snap, lol! (Okay, so maybe meeting my hubby had something to do with that...) <-- OMG, that makes me sound so cold, lol!

    Anyway, I think Mariah probably falls on the more sensitive end of the spectrum. But there should be some answers coming up very soon ;)

    This is definitely April's wake up call, if she was ever going to get one! Let's hope she hears it, right?

    Rome, James is moving, but it's not a move-away ;) You'll hear from him next in the spring, and yes, he's sticking around for a good while. I'm glad you like him, I've always had a soft spot for him too (despite his criminal tendencies, lol!)

    If we can ever get Jodie to fall in love, I think it would be a very special relationship indeed :) I promise, Jodie will always be Jodie.

    And on the picture, that's actually a recolor of the "Surfing through the Universe" poster (from Uni), and I know I got it from MTS, but I couldn't for the life of me find it again :( Anyone know who did that recolor?

    Roxie, thank you! Oh good, glad you noticed the interlinking! I'm always dorkily happy when you guys notice stuff like that! :)

    April's pregnancy was a storytelling/gameplay thing, which I wrote about a bit in the comments here. So no, not the official ROS preggy for the round, though I'm telling you, after all the oops preggies I've had this round, I totally don't even need that ROS, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edit: or I should say, if we can ever get Jodie to admit that she might be capable of love in her heart ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great update. Mariah shouting was a great scene, and the last sequence was so real, you felt as though you were there with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you chained the separate stories together - the way someone from each section appeared in the previous/next one. Superficially it seemed that some of the characters weren't connected at all, but really, they all were.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved how all four vignettes were linked together so smoothly. So much going on, in just a few hours.

    I'm glad Rome asked about James because I was going to ask the same thing! I'm glad it's not a move-away but I'm curious what you've got planned for him anyway!

    Beau and April are just breaking my heart but I'm actually feeling mildly hopeful about them now. Beau is so determined to save April and I just hope she'll let him. I wonder if this is a turning point for her. A thought that crossed my mind just this second: does Beau think the baby could have been his? Story wise, would it have been possible or has it been too long since they'd last slept together?

    I think if Jodie ever falls in love and wants to admit it, no one is going to be more shocked than Jodie herself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rad, thank you! :)

    Blackcat, thanks! I was hoping that would work :)

    Carla, thanks! James has dug himself quite a place in this story it seems. Funny how some of my "supporting cast" just refuse to remain supporting, lol! Like Vicky, and like April was to start.

    Beau knows it couldn't have been his baby. They haven't been together in a long time, over a year. If I might dig up the reference... it's here, she remembers the exact date she last slept with him, October 21st 2082, lol! So I think they're both well aware that it's not his ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always fascinated when writers do things with time, and you pulled it all together in a matter of minutes. The chain holds.

    Out of everything going on here, Mariah caught me and wouldn't let me go. From her wish/statement that she wants her patients to think of her as a 'friend' right through the 'I'm not bitter' chant (say that again one hundred times) to the beautiful final shot, aromatherapy candles lit (and yeah of course they'd be aromatherapy candles instead of just candles), trying to uninvite memories she doesn't want. That Bad Fairy never does leave the party, does she?

    sorry...I tend to focus on one thing at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the appearance of a character from a previous vignette in the next one, coming back around full circle to April and Beau again. I like James, so I'm glad he won't be gone for good. It's too bad he and April can't work things out, but after what he went through with Mariah, April really isn't the kind of the girl he needs.

    I hope this is a turning point for April and that she can straighten out the messes she's made with her life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beth, thank you! No, don't be sorry! I think it's fascinating to hear which scene struck you the most. That kind of ties into why I put the current poll up there too, because I've got all these saddies in my stories right now, but I do wonder which one resonates the most with you all.

    Shana, thanks! They would have been cute, maybe in some other life, but I think they're both meant for other people.

    That's one thing about real life that's reflected well in the game. All the different people we meet, all the connections we could make, or different kinds of chemistry we could have with someone, and I find it interesting to explore why people end up choosing (or not choosing) the ones they do.

    In my hood especially, my Sims usually end up with so many three-bolters that it's quite a challenge to decide who their best match is. As much fun as the chemistry system is to play with, in the end, I always take it right out of the game into storytelling for any real decisions.

    So anyway, even if this little crush between April and James didn't last long and never culminated in anything, I think they've still learned from each other, and it served its purpose.

    Whoa, long rambling tangent - sorry about that, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For some reason, since I switched to Chrome, I've been able to vote again in polls I'd already voted in. So I snuck in another vote, this time for Corbin. I voted for April initially (and I stand by that) but after reading Corbin's last update, I really did want to give him a hug. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this update. I feel for April, I hope she can get her life together.

    Its been so long since I've read the blogs. I feel like I have whole lives to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carla, ha! Sneaky, sneaky! This one was a tough call for me too. I'm not about to tell y'all how else to cheat, but I snuck in a second vote too ;)

    Heredon, hi and welcome back! How have you been?

    Thank you! Yeah, April's had a rough go of things lately. Times like this serve as good turning points though, so let's see what she makes of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy crap does Beau look menacing in that first picture of his, lol.

    Oh James... I'm glad he's getting away. But does this mean no more James? Wasn't James the one who surprised you with his attraction to someone or am I remembering wrong? Unless it was his attraction to April that surprised you, lol. But I'm pretty sure it was someone else because you made a comment on his attraction to girls who're messes.

    And then poor Mariah. That scene where she actually protests out loud, who hasn't had a moment in their life where you're faced with an accusation (that may or may not be true) and we have no one to face and protest to. I love that she actually protests out loud for a lack of person to protest to.

    Berjes and Jodie, I just want to see the end of the election because I would bet that will see the conclusion of their story. There are so many different ways I can see that story going depending on who wins. Although Jodie is being so blunt, she's right. It's his call really.

    And April at the clinic. That last scene with her and Beau, and all the questioning about her mother's choice to keep her. *SIGH* April. I am pretty sure I voted for April to get that hug, and I really would like to double that vote after this one.


    Also, I loved LOVED the little visual touches of characters from one vignette walking the the background of a lead in or lead out picture from the other vignettes. That is an awesome way to tie them all together very subtly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lunar, thank you! I had fun setting up the pictures :)

    James isn't leaving the story. You'll hear from him again in the spring.

    And yes, Jodie and Berjes, their story definitely depends on the way this election plays out. I'm so excited for the elections, and the stories that'll happen during!

    And it's looking like April is going to win that hug after all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pictures are wonderfully done,and the words - the words flow very well and make wonderfully pretty pictures. :)

    This was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Stacy! I put quite a bit into this one, so I'm glad it turned out okay! :)

    ReplyDelete