Sunday, April 4, 2010

prequel stories #8: reconstructing the founders, part 1

In April of 2006, a group of young college graduates decided to start their brand new lives by settling in a once-quiet little town called Lakeside Heights. Until now, there has been little record of who these people were, apart from a few aged photos and the basic public record of their family tree. This effort is to reconstruct their lives as best we can, through their family who might remember them.


***

Rebecca (Brant) Harris, and her husband Troy:
survived in the Harris and Fortney families.





A conversation with Tad, Tosha, and Lucy Harris:

"You never got to meet my mother," Tad says to Lucy. "You look just like her. Doesn't she look just like her?"

"She sure does," Tosha says. "Pretty as a petunia."

"You always say that, Grandpa," Lucy says.

"It's true," Tad says. "And a social butterfly too. Friends with everybody in the town."


"They were good, simple people," Tad says. "My dad was a police officer, just like I was in the good old days." He turns to Tosha. "I never understood why her father went off and studied politics. What is politics? A bunch of people sitting around and talking? We're police and military men through and through."

"I don't know, Grandpa," Lucy says. "I don't think it's anything fancy."

"And my mother was only ever a waitress," he says.


"She had a baby at twenty," Tosha says. "Tends to put you in that place. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I didn't finish college either. Little bit of kissing, and before you know it-"

"Grandma," Lucy says.

"I don't think she liked me," Tosha says. "The mother-in-law. It's a hard relationship to keep. We were never very friendly until just before she died. An early pregnancy will also do that sometimes. Tad was her only, of course, and you know how mothers are - she liked to think I got him trapped."

"Of course you didn't, dear," Tad says.

"Well, no. I didn't want to trap this old fool," she says. "But I suppose I could have trapped someone worse."


"I don't think it's too hard," Lucy says. "I'm pretty sure all of Dallas's family love me, and I never had to trap him before he proposed."

Her grandparents turn to her in unison, and say, "What was that, dear?"

"Oh," Lucy says, trying to think of a word that sounds like "propose," and then, as they stare straight through her, she realizes that there isn't one.


***

Eliza (Brant) Deppiesse-Anderson: survived in part of the Bradshaw family, indirectly founding the Deppiesse/McCullough families.





A conversation with Claire and Amelia Bradshaw.

"I was very young when they divorced," Claire says. "Kindergarten, maybe six. I have this picture of the two of us, after the divorce, living in that old house in Lakeside Heights. I was maybe nine then, and I don't remember her taking the divorce very hard, or not for long anyway. I only realize that now maybe she only did that for me. She was a beautiful woman, but she always had that edge to her, not unkind, but a barrier just the same.

I can't remember if she ever told me what brought them together, my mother and father. From the sounds of it, I can't imagine why they ever dated, much less married each other."


"But grandpa, he was very smart," Amelia says. "Maybe that's why."

"Perhaps," Claire says.

"Isn't that where we all get it from, all the cousins?"

"Well, I'd say you kids are all much smarter," Claire says. "Your grandfather wasn't so smart that he couldn't stay out of prison now, was he?"

"I guess not," Amelia says.

"I probably remember my father the best of all of us," Claire says. "They were all very young before he went to prison, Cabe and Brooke were just babies. Our father was a force of a man, he did what he wanted, very clearly, but yes, he was very intelligent."


"I don't have any pictures of my father, I honestly don't. He was a sort of dark spot in most of my life, an anomaly. But you know, he was my father, so what can I say?"


The point is, the marriage didn't last long. There were differences of moral standard, you might say. He got out of jail and made it to my wedding. He died soon after that. He never met a single one of all these grandkids he has. But as much a wreck as he was, their divorce is really what pulled us all together, all of us kids. If my parents hadn't divorced, I wouldn't have my siblings.

My step father joined the family soon after. His name was Glen Anderson. He was a good man, also a doctor. They got along well. He and my mother were married for a long time. She lived to be quite old. He made her happy."


"A happy marriage leads to a longer life, did you know that honey?"

"I think you probably told me once or twice," Amelia says.

"It's a fact," Claire says. "A happy marriage and good, honest work. You see, my father had neither of those things. He died in his 60s. But my mother, she was quite old, how old were you when she died?"

"Fifteen," Amelia says.

"So about twelve or thirteen years ago, not that long ago."

"I miss her too, Mom," Amelia says.

*******

12 comments:

  1. Laura, these remind me of the project they play periodically on NPR, where families have conversations with each other, often about where they came from. Have you heard them?

    These were so nice to read, and I love the part where Lucy slipped up. The relationship she has with her grandparents is so true to life.

    The 'hood really is old, isn't it, with Rebecca and Troy just remembered by Tad and Tosha, who are elders. I guess time has slowed in Lakeside Heights over the years...which is understandable. Did you have any idea you would blog this or picture anything like what you've created, when you started out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you put everything donw! How you tell their stories with the little pictures you have, I can't wait to read about the others.
    I have to agree with Francesca that your 'hood must be very old, it some of the founders are only remembered by 2 elders, but that just happens sometimes.
    I like the fact that Lucy accidentally told her parenst about her egagement, well not for her of course, but I was wondering when she would tell any one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you laid this post out really well; I especially liked when Lucy blabbed and the way Amelia seems to have heard everything her mother says about relationships many times before! lol.
    Also, may I ask where those windows in the first and third pictures of the Bradshaw conversation came from? I've read back over the rounds and they look really nice on Bella's townhouse. Do you know if they come with an expansion pack or if you downloaded them?
    As usual, a great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was lovely, it was nice to see where everyone got their origins from! And poor Lucy, she's really put herself in a corner now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Francesca, oh, I think I've heard of what you're talking about, though I don't think I've listened to it personally.

    Yes, this neighborhood is OLD!!! I played it for two years before I started blogging, and just the act of blogging it has slowed it down considerably. That, and it was just naturally slowing down as the population grew. I already had about 85 playables by the time I started blogging.

    Tanja, thanks! Lucy truly isn't doing a very good job at keeping this secret, lol! She's really only afraid of telling her parents though, I think. But just about every time she opens her mouth, I see her blabbing on about her engagement. She is comfortable with her grandparents though, which is probably why it managed to slip out. I think she feels they would "get it," and not run off and blab it to her mom before she's ready.

    Shake, thanks! The windows are by macarossi at MTS, and you can find them here. They were made years and years ago, but they're still some of my favorite window and door sets. I use them all the time!

    Tessa, Lucy brings it upon herself, lol! Silly girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh-oh! Looks like Lucy let her secret slip. Hopefully her grandparents won't say anything to her mom before she gets a chance to. That might make the news worse, coming from someone else. But maybe her grandparents could be there to offer her some support when she does finally tell her parents?

    I like Amelia and her mom and the way they interact. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Lucy....

    Lovely way of combining the present and the past here. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how you tell the story of the founders from the perspective of the people that remember them (their children). I think this method really connects the past to the present and keeps everything in sync.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love prequel stories! It's wonderful to get a look at these characters we never met and how they relate to the current cast.

    Oops, Lucy! Cat's out of the bag! I hope Tad and Tosha let Lucy tell her parents herself. I get the feeling they wouldn't be as upset by this news as Lucy's mother is probably going to be!

    I love Lucy's relationship with her grandparents (Lucy is Tosha's favourite grandchild, right? I think you've said that). Lucy's exactly the type who'd sit around listening to the olds talk about the past.

    I never realised the resemblance between Claire and Amelia before but it's definitely there. They're both so pretty!

    And gosh, Claire had a time growing up! I hadn't realised her father had gone to prison.

    "A happy marriage leads to a longer life, did you know that honey?"

    Very subtle, Claire! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shana, oh, that would be a good idea! Maybe I'll have them suggest it ;)

    I love Amelia and her mommy!

    Rad, thank you! I have to admit that I hadn't noticed I was doing that (connecting the present and the past), lol! But I'm glad it worked well!

    Monique, thanks! It worked out better than I intended then. It's kind of like a familiar filter for you guys, isn't it?

    Carla, yes, Lucy is Tosha's always-and-forever favorite grandchild, lol! Must be because she's the one who goes to visit them ;)

    Those poor Deppiesse kids had a rough go of it! I could write multitudes of prequel stories on them all. Claire probably had it the easiest of them though, since she had her mom and step-dad at least, and then married into the Bradshaw family. You know Orion had a crappy childhood, and Brooke and Cabe were both orphans before they made it through high school.

    It's a wonder they all made it out reasonably well-adjusted, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hearing about your neighborhood's history; I also really like Tosha :) Is she really Tosha Go, the townie teenager? If so, how did she get to be a redhead? My Tosha was always blonde.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Luminessence, yes, she's the default townie one from the base game, lol! That's weird about the hair color. I can't remember if I changed it or not - I have been known to do so.

    ReplyDelete