Monday, April 12, 2010

a poem about a freckle

October 2083 - Amelia Bradshaw is 28, Drew Bruty is 27.

*
Warnings: NSFW/kids - and unabashed poetics! Soundtrack: "Colorblind," by the Counting Crows. *


She smells like organic lemongrass and ginseng, which leaves her skin soft and milky smooth. Did he know that natural soap is gentler on the skin than even the most moisturizing body washes? No, he didn't know that. But he does now.

She eats zucchini. He ate french fries before he met her, and now he knows that red bell peppers contain more antioxidants than green ones, green tea more flavanoids than bottled beer. She buys fresh fish for its omega-3. Now he knows what omega-3 is - he never knew he needed it, but she insists that he does. He doesn't need to know why, but she'll tell him anyway.


It's not about ideals or glamour. It's science, she tells him. "Because it'll make you live forever," she says. "Or at least a really long time. I want you to live a really long time."


It's Columbus Day weekend, a long weekend, a bank holiday. It's October and the leaves have all turned and begun to fall. It's too cold outside to spend the weekend at the beach, or outside grilling with friends and family. The movie playing on the TV they've seen a hundred times before, so they'll talk instead. He'll try to make her smile. Her smile is not hard to come by, but he can't get enough of it.


He'll recite her a poem, made up on the spot. Not the kind he could publish, but the kind that rhymes a little, and makes her laugh. He never would have been her type, sweet and ridiculous, if he hadn't tried so hard to prove her wrong. She's never laughed or smiled so much in her life. She tells him these things, but he can see it clearly anyway.

He kneels between her knees and she wraps her arms around him. He likes to gloat a little. "You always said funny wasn't your type."

"It was," she says. "I just didn't know it yet."


It's Columbus Day weekend and they have nothing better to do then lay around and talk, eat, make love, and sleep. What else do people do on Columbus Day weekend?


They have nowhere to go. He has poems that can wait until she goes back to work. She has homework that she'll catch up on later.


Instead, she'll fall asleep straight after dinner, and he'll lead her up to bed.


He has an apartment he never stays in anymore. In his sock drawer, he has a box with a ring in it. It's been there since July, tucked underneath rows of clean black socks. It's there, and when he bought it, he thought he knew exactly what he was doing. He knew where he'd take her and what he'd say. Some wordy speech, some fancy trip, some exotic place she's never seen. And now none of that feels good enough.


She's done all of this before, the longterm relationship, the domesticity. He always wondered what went wrong, those times before. "They just didn't stick," is all she'll say. She doesn't like to talk about them. Her failures, she calls them. More than just one. "Why would I want to talk about that?" she says. She laughs them off and buries them under a guarded smile.


Instead, she says, "You should move in. You're never even there anymore."

"Okay," he says.

She arranges the rest. "Your bed is better than mine," she says. "But I want to keep my couch. You can bring your lamps, but you're not touching my kitchen. Not a single piece."

"I like your kitchen anyway," he says.

"We don't need your dresser, mine is big enough, we can share."

He thinks of the sock drawer, the box with the ring in it. "Share?"

"Yeah," she says. "What, you didn't think we'd have two dressers?"

"No," he says. "You're right."


It's a long weekend, cold outside and raining on and off. The movies on cable they've seen at least a hundred times, and they're not sure if they're motivated to invite company over. He's taken a few minutes already to check in with his friends. She talks to her mom...


For a couple hours.


She she hangs up the phone and comes to wake him. It's stopped raining outside. It might rain again later, or it might not. "You wanna walk over to the park and get some coffee?" she asks him.

"We'd have to get dressed," he says.

"Oh, yeah," she says. "I can make some coffee. We should have some dinner too. You want to invite some people over?"

"Nah," he says. "We'd have to get dressed."

"Right," she says. "Some other time."


They go to the kitchen to think about dinner, for a minute. They decide to kiss instead.



They make love, and they sleep. It's what they do, and not just this weekend. They can spend countless days inside, losing themselves in each other. Occasionally they remember that they have friends or cousins or mothers or uncles who might remember them.


They toss between the sheets in the morning, letting their eyes open slowly. It's a long weekend, they have all morning to spend waking up, rolling from one side to the next, never losing hold of each other for a minute.


When they finally wake, they greet each other with some "good morning" love. They've been dating nine months, and she doesn't talk about the ones who came before him. But she tells him she's never had this before - this deep, emotional lovemaking, the kind she needs to sleep for hours after. He believes her, because he's seen her evolve in these past months, as she slowly lost that carefree detachment she held onto so desperately. She always told him she was only interested in friendship.


She still is, she says, only interested in friendship. And he's not just her lover, but her best and most trusted friend in the world.


She tells him she's never really felt loved before now. That alone breaks his heart, because the crippling disappointment in her voice proves that it's not just dramatics, it's no plea for sympathy, but simply the truth. She's never really been loved. He doesn't understand how anyone could shrug her off so easily.

Before him, she's never had a man whisper in her ear during lovemaking. This shocked him - never? He told her, "How could someone be with you, and not tell you how beautiful you are?" So he whispered to her, about how beautiful she was, about how much he loved her. It was strange for her at first, but she grew to like it. She even grew to love it, the tickle of his breath on her neck, the reciprocity of it, the echo back of this shared moment. And she felt it - love.


When they finish, they have nowhere to go, and nothing to get dressed for. He traces the curve of her lower back, and her mind drifts lazily to her work, even though she doesn't need to be back for another day.

"I have a portfolio to present on Tuesday," she says.

"I should probably write something," he says, touching a finger to her nose. "I think I'll write a poem about this freckle.

She smiles. "I dare you," she says.

Like she is, beautiful in theory, but in reality, even more than he can describe. "I don't know if there are the right words," he says.


She recedes into a thought then, a sad one. "Because you wanted to know," she says. "Alon, he cheated on me, twice. He eventually left me for one of them. And Jason, after living together for so long, he just wanted to get married. A week after we broke up, he met the woman he ended up marrying. Like he never even meant it. I knew he never meant it. I guess they just get bored with me, that's what happens."

"How could anyone ever get bored?" he says. "That was their problem, not yours."


He was so eager all that time. He had the right idea, but at the same time, he had it all wrong. He wanted her so badly that he didn't know what he was actually getting, a woman, real and damaged.

It isn't that he doesn't know her - he's known her for years - but he never knew how fragile she was. Underneath that bold independence she was so delicate. When she stopped receding to those safe hidden places of doubt and distance, of saying she's not ready, of saying she doesn't care, or doesn't feel, when she let him in, really let him in, he saw it. All the wounds, all the rejections, all the scars, the doubt, the fear. He saw it and it terrified him. It's so much responsibility for one man to hold.

But now that he's seen it, how could he turn away?


So now he has an apartment he never stays in anymore, and in his sock drawer, he has a box with a ring in it. For months it's been there, hidden, waiting for these words that always came so easy, to tell him what to say, and how to say it. Finally, he realizes that the words aren't going to come. They were never going to come because they were all wrong.

All this time when he was trying to think of more, what she really needed was so simple. She's been given the speeches, the excuses, the lies, the propositions, and she doesn't need any more shows.


His words feel no weight, and there's only one thing that feels honest, the only thing he can think of. "I don't want to just live with you," he says. "I want to marry you."

She smiles. "I want that too," she says.


And the ring in that box, and all those exotic words that always came so easily, are left tongue-tied, lost in a jumble of clean socks.


*******


(footnotes: Drew gets what he wanted // her failures // the ring in his pocket)

notes:



This one didn't really fit the mood of the piece. They're really quite goofy together, despite the somber undertones. Or maybe it's just impossible not to grin like a fool when he whips out that mirror like that, lol!

21 comments:

  1. So many soulful looks between these two in this post. You have outdone yourself on the photo-editing! After seeing your earlier tweet about having to stop editing for a while because of kids running around, I was really looking forward to this, and it wasn't disappointing.

    The poem about the freckle reminds me of one of my favorite books, The English Patient, (and also in the movie) when he says, he wants to own that bit of skin at the hollow of her throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. So much insight into the both of them, really great.

    I love the photos of them snuggling on the sofa, that's an all time favorite pass time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was this the smut you were editing the other day? LOL! I loved the pictures in this update, they were wonderful.

    The last picture of Amelia and Drew together on the bed is my favourite one of this update. Oh, but then there's the one where he's looking down at her while she's sleeping. Sigh! But damn you...you've inspired me to go into my game and try to pose a shot I gave up on last night. It might be worth it, even if I'm the only one who notices it!

    My gosh, these two are just going to kill me. They are gorgeous together. I love that Amelia finally shared what happened with all the other guys. That really says so much, that she was willing to open up like that with Drew and I bet it meant a lot to him as well.

    And my gosh...engaged! I'm really glad Amelia finally rolled the want. I've always been a big Drew fan and I'm happy Amelia has realised that I'm right. :)

    Side note, I didn't realise Jason met his future wife a week after he and Amelia broke up. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Francesca, thank you! This one was quite fun to put together, lol! But a lot of work too, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

    Oh, so many books to read! I haven't read The English Patient, but now that you mention it (with that line!) I'll just have to!

    Maisie, thank you! Oh good, I hoped you would get a better feel for them from this!

    Mine too! :)

    Carla, lol, yes, this would be it ;)

    Don't you wish you could just instruct them like actors sometimes, lol! I end up giving up on some of the images I have in my head a lot of times, but then I'll strike on something different that fits the bill just as well. It's fun to play around with.

    Yes, Jason met Lynn the very day he moved into his new apartment in Abandia - three-bolts right out of the box! Though, even if it did take her longer to move on, Amelia did meet Drew in the first few days she moved into her new house as well, and they were also three-bolts right out of the box. Funny how that worked out.

    Amelia accepts your "I told you so." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was waiting for the smut. Being such a perv, I was pretty much looking for it, lol. I see why some of these shots would be difficult to work on around the kid, but still they were beautiful! I think it's hard to imagine Drew in real smut.

    The part that killed me was the whole whispering in her ear. "How could someone be with you, and not tell you how beautiful you are?" So tender and beautiful. His whole character carries that one line. I don't think anyone else could carry that line. Coming from him, with all we know about him, it's so sweet and honest. I know he means it.

    Oh Amelia, you didn't stand a chance against that. You know I said in an earlier entry that these two sort of mystified me at first, but now I get it. I sort of get the feeling that it mystified Amelia a little too, and with her opening up here, it's like she finally understands it too.


    Seriously, your sims have so much life, lol! Oh and that last picture, haha! Awesome and adorable. I noticed that was your new icon on VSS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lunar, lol, I was being silly about it being smut. I know Drew probably couldn't pull off smut if he tried. Hmmm, does this mean I still owe you guys some true smut then? lol!

    Awww, thank you though! I'm glad to hear he's flush enough a character that you can see that line coming from only him. I guess that means I did my job right. Sometimes these LH characters take up just as much space in my head as any of my "real" characters - there's a lot of voices in there ;)

    Amelia didn't really stand a chance, did she? She put up a good fight though, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeously written post, I am in awe at your writing ability!
    Amelia and Drew are a lovely couple, and I must say, I do love their new hairdos! I also noticed that Amelia's head seems to mysteriously have no hole in it... I'm guessing either you fixed it, or you photo-shopped it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I think you do owe us some true smut, lol!

    The intimacy in this post was great, even if it wasn't smut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved it. It was so sweet, after reading this I think my blood sugar levels rose about 20%. But I loved it anyways. Its always wonderful to read post like this especially when the character really come out like Drew and Amelia do. And with the mix of background information... perfect.

    The photo editing was wonderful. You have to have a lot of patiences. I am just getting into using the pose boxes and only for family photos and it is exhausting. Then to go and edit the photos after that. I am in awe of any simmer who does that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that was a great great post. i was totally drawn in, and now i think i might add them to my list of favourite couples. so sweet... *swoons*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this one. And my favorite pic is the one where she agrees that she wants to marry him and the butterflies are in the shot. Remember when she got her new hair cut and there were butterflies? For me, this just fit in with that. It's like they are her guide to what is right and good in her life. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tessa, awww, thank you! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    Amelia's hair, I painstakingly photoshopped every hole, lol! I tried to get angles where it wouldn't show, but for this at least, I didn't want to sacrifice good shots because of the hair, so I chose to spend time photoshopping instead.

    We'll see how long she gets to keep that hair before I tire of that process, lol!

    Francesca, lol! I'll try to work some in, somewhere... where's April when I need her? ;)

    Monique, thank you! I certainly wouldn't do this much posing and editing for each post, but every once in a while, and for special ones, it can be fun :)

    in-transit, thank you! :) Ditto that swoon!

    (Oh, wait, am I allowed to swoon at my own Sims? Is that weird? lol!)

    Riverdale, yay, gold stars for you! I was waiting for someone to notice those butterflies! Yes, they were there after she broke up with both Alon and Jason, and they popped up to give their blessing here too :)

    Even more awesome because I didn't think butterflies usually came out in the fall, yet there they were.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was just too cute! I'm so happy for Amelia and Drew. It's so great that despite Amelia's cynicism and failed past relationships, they managed to find love together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are a pretty romantic couple. I guess from the first time they met and when she finally gave up to all of his attentions,they have become a lovely couple. They look so cute together and lol do any of of your kids have found your pics? I usually gave up on my sims in TS 2 because of their annoying wants about someone they cannot have again, but somehow I am missing that now in TS 3. I also miss the ability to get them into more posses. Great photo editing, I love them (even though I am a bit shy to these :P)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also love the pictures of them with falling leaves and butterflies. They are just so cute together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that falling leaves and butterflies pic, too - now that's poetic! Your writing is gorgeous, too - I love how you sink yourself into these characters as if they were your favorite comfy chair.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarah, thanks! They deserve it :)

    M.J., thank you! Yes, I think I would miss the crazy nonsensical wants too if they were gone. They're frustrating, but at the same time, they're part of the fun. But I'm sure TS3 has it's own quirks to deal with.

    Jen, thanks! I was so happy when those butterflies popped up! I swear they follow her around. I had no hand in that... well, except for making sure they ended up in the picture, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like Drew more with every update he's in; he's so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Luminessence, don't you just want to pinch his cheeks? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Own it's so sweet!
    What pose boxes do you use? Can you give me the link to download them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For this one, I think I used a heavy combination of multiple poses, overlays, and OMSPs. There's no one specific pose - I just kind of mash a bunch of them together until something looks right. ;) I have my favorites linked on my TS2 CC page. Hopefully the links are still good!

      Delete