September 2083 - Aurora Miguel and Adrian Jackson are 51. (Beau and Tyler Jackson are 20, Carly Cook is 28.)
* soundtrack: "Superman," by Five for Fighting. *
After a lovely weekend with Adrian, Aurora was quickly dropped hard back into her real life. She's afraid of this man, the same man who called her employees customer service lazy and entitled just a couple years ago. So when she sees him in her boutique again, she feels herself inclined to run and hide. But this time he says, "No, don't worry! Everything looks great!"
Mostly, everything is going great. She does the best she can sometimes...
There's really very little you can mess up with some of them, who only need extensions, makeup, and an actual outfit.
While others she just needs to point in the right direction and they pretty much dress themselves.
She hires a new stock girl, Hazel Monif, and though she'll only make minimum wage, these teenage girls would fall over backwards for a 15% discount on clothing!
And it's always nice when they convince all their friends to come in and spend some money.
It's not just the teenagers though, even Carly still sends her friends in. Carly managed to get Jodie into a new outfit, which qualified for her very particular specifications, something functional, not too much color, not too much cleavage, and no heels!
And she even convinced her to try out a new haircut too, since the elections are coming up this fall. They've seen quite a few people coming in to freshen up for the coming elections.
Jodie says, with minimal fanfare, "Oh, okay, that'll do."
Hazel also sent her father in to get a little refresher, for the very same elections. She said she doesn't think she's ever seen him in a different shirt, since she was born, though maybe she's exaggerating just a little. Berjes did wear a different shirt, once or twice, and in surgery he wears his scrubs. And he went to a wedding or two where he even had to put on a suit.
But he runs into Jodie as she's leaving the boutique. "If you're wondering if you should go in, then you should. That shirt has got to be older than you are."
She makes him clench his teeth. She makes him torn inside between wanting to pin her hard against that wall and kiss her until she
begs him to take her home, or telling her to go screw herself, which are indeed two
very different things.
So torn that he says nothing, and only sighs heavily as she carries on walking, a prime view of her backside and those are some really great new pants.
When he finally does make it inside, Hazel can see him trying to change his mind. "It's okay, Dad," she says. "People come from all over the city to get makeovers here. She's really good!"
He puts up a struggle, but they manage to find him something.
Nothing too crazy, just a different shade, a designer label. And a new, refreshing pair of jeans.
But that, unfortunately, was where his good experience end here. She tried to run a sculpting wax through his hair, to give it a little texture, and it hardened too quickly, before she could style it, turning his hair into strange horn-like spikes. It's just been a long night, a long few months even. Aurora offers to fix it for free, offers a few free coupons to pass on to his friends and colleagues if he likes, and he certainly won't be paying for any of the clothing tonight.
He's scared to let her try, but Hazel convinces him. "You kind of have to, Dad. You can't go to work like that."
And the styling wax did wash out just fine, but she went a little far, a little tanner for his cheeks, a little blush. Blush? What was she thinking?
"I'm sorry," she says. "You looked a little pale."
He says, "I didn't ask for that!"
"I'm sorry," she says. "Let me fix it! It should wash right off if we don't wait too long."
"No, let me out of here!" he says. "Don't do any more! I'll just wash it off at home."
It's not that she's getting too old for this, but just that she's been working way too hard. She keeps piling up more and more things to do, and she's finally come to a breaking point. Finally, she thinks she knows why.
Because when she's not working, there are even more empty spaces to fill with worry. She finds herself automatically drawn to the TV, when she hasn't heard from him for any longer than a week, wincing against the dismal news stories. Her family tells her that she shouldn't be watching the news. The newscaster announces, in a dull monotone, "Three soldiers killed today in a ship malfunction."
She gasps, every time.
"Mom, it's not him," Beau says. "They would have called you already, before they report it on the news."
"What does that mean, ship malfunction?"
"That doesn't mean anything," he says. "It just happens. It means an accident."
Every time the phone rings, she jumps out of her skin. Her baby, out in space, and people shouldn't even be out in space. She's mad at him - he should be in school! She's mad at Summer, that girl she treated as a daughter all these years and if she hadn't jerked him around, he'd still be here. She's mad at Beau for not talking him out of it. She's mad at them all, but mostly she's just scared. She's petrified. And every time the phone rings, as it does again and again through the day, she feels the ground drop out from under her.
"You get it," she says. "I can't."
Beau picks up the phone. It's not Tyler, or anyone calling about Tyler. Usually, it's just the Thompsons across the street, or Carly checking in from the boutique, or someone trying to sell identity theft insurance on their credit card accounts.
"It's just credit card spam," he tells her, and he can see the tension dissolve from her face.
You never saw a woman so happy to get a spam phone call.
***
Tyler Jackson was never the most scholastic young man, but now he finds his days packed with more learning than he's ever had to do before. "Boot Camp" out here at the International Lunar Base didn't turn out to be quite what he'd expected. There is a little physical training involved, which looks more like an intense health class than the trench crawling he's seen in war movies. Here, he has to do artificial-gravity conditioning, and take biology classes to learn about the effects of space on the human body. He's reading textbooks on his downtime, and his initial weeks of military training involve more sitting in classrooms than he'd even experienced in college.
Of course, Tyler didn't always go to his classes in college. His first course in discipline training set that faux pas right really fast.
And in these last few weeks he'll be on base, he gets scheduled use of the communications room, which he can work in between his many training sessions. Usually this room is very busy, with the soldiers squeezing in as many phone calls to family as they can, but some of the troops have already been shipped out. The units will be spread out around the planet in all directions, a sphere of defense as they anticipate making the initial contact. Tyler's unit ships out at the end of the month.
In these past few months, Tyler's family has learned his little pockets of free time, and they gather around to wait for his call.
"Did you get to shoot a gun yet?" Beau asks.
"No," Tyler says. "We're still on base. I got to shoot a simulator though. We'll practice with the real ones once we leave base next week."
"Where are you going to be?"
Tyler named some solar system coordinates that meant nothing to Beau, and then said, "You know, it's kind of out by Mars right now."
"It's just a rumor," Tyler says. "Make sure you tell Mom it's just a rumor. We don't know yet if they want to eat us or not."
"Oh," Beau says. "Okay."
"And tell her not to worry, while I'm out. You guys won't hear from me for a while, but it doesn't mean something's wrong."
Aurora takes the phone back then, squealing in delight at her lost child, at least until Tyler tells her he'll be shipping out for a few months. Even Mary Jane yips at the phone, sensing the presence of her dear master. Mary Jane always hated Beau.
Beau hasn't been more than a few feet from his brother since the day they were born, and now here Tyler is, some kind of war hero out in space. Tyler gets to be Superman, while Beau is left home to be Clark Kent.
***
Carly stopped over one morning on her way over to open up the shop. She came offering a present. "You're so busy making everyone else look good for this election," she says. "So I thought I'd make you something new to wear too."
"Oh, Carly, you shouldn't have," Aurora says, and she isn't just trying to be modest.
"Try it on, please," Carly says. "I can make some little tweaks if I need to."
Aurora tries it on, and no tweaks are needed. The plush ivory jacket fits perfectly.
"Oh good," Carly says. "It's just how I imagined it. Stern, authoritative, and powerful. You look just like the new CFO of the Lake County Treasury."
"Let me take you out for lunch," Aurora says. "It's the least I can do."
In truth she wishes she could do much, much more. Aurora always hoped Carly would be able to buy the boutique when she was ready to sell. But that day ended up being much sooner than she thought. Carly has been like a daughter to her these years. She never had a daughter of her own, and yet manages to find herself wrapped up in these poor motherless girls. Maybe her guilt has something to do with Summer right now - she loved that girl like her own daughter, and her boy wouldn't be fighting in this war if they'd just stayed together.
So considering she's been a sort of mentor to Carly for the past eight years, she feels even worse admitting that she has to let the store go. She's found a buyer for the building - but they don't want to buy the business - they're looking to sell athletic shoes and sports equipment there instead.
"So I'm losing my job?" Carly says.
"I'm sorry," Aurora says. "I just can't keep it up anymore. I always thought you'd be able to buy it from me some day, but-"
"But I don't have that much money," Carly says. "Or even a downpayment to get that much."
"I know," Aurora says. "But I think you could do it yourself, something smaller to start. Then build from the ground up, like I did. It would be your own and it would be amazing. I know you have it in you."
Carly doesn't look convinced.
"I want to show you something," Aurora says.
Aurora takes her to 720 Lakeside Circle, a property she's noticed up for sale in Lakeside Heights. It was once a photography studio, but is now gutted and stripped bare inside.
"It's for sale," Aurora says. "Not very expensive, since it needs some work. You could even put me down as a reference on your loan application."
Carly maintains her skepticism as Aurora points out the room. "Mannequins in the windows," she says. "And over there is where you'd sew. It's not much right now, but it could be done, can't you just see it?"
Carly contemplates those empty windows for a moment, then she raises her hands to them. "And right there," she says. "The coming winter line, jackets and woolen skirts, black and grey, with just a pop of color, a golden yellow, for warmth. I can see it."
*** continued ***
(footnotes: the weekend // the military send-off)
notes: sorry about the wait on these lately. I'd like to get back to doing twice a week again, but it might take a while for me to build up some reserves to fall back on. I'm down to nothing since the move, and just blogging as I have them ready.
So anyway, Beau and Tyler (and Carly) kind of take over their parents' update then, lol! Which is why I felt okay with devoting that whole update to Aurora and Adrian recently.This song (linked up top) always reminds me of Beau, more so in the later parts of this chapter, but those stories already have a song picked out, so I used this one here :)
Oh, and about having to lose the salon - I hear you say, "Oh, no, you didn't do it again!?!"
Oh yes I did :\
"Oh, okay, that'll do."
ReplyDeleteLOL, yeah, that's what Jodie would say!
I love that Carly's thinking of opening up her own place and that Aurora is kind of acting as a mentor. But I am so bummed that you lost yet another community lot! At least you managed to fit the loss into the storyline!
I'm really feeling for Tyler's family here. The military life is not one I ever want a part of - I'd rather be Clark Kent. ;) I hope everyone I care about is always content to be a Clark Kent too, because I'm kind of in awe that these families continue on with their lives while their loved ones are away and everything is in so much doubt.
And sort of randomly, I love Mary Jane. She doesn't actually look like my old dog at all but how she's going grey kind of reminded me of her anyway, and I had to smile.
Business lots are tricky. I often have to walk the owner to another community lot to save the progress because going "home" is not an option.
ReplyDeleteI use a smaller hood and import lots and characters as body doubles specifically for hack-heavy photo shoot, or do it on the back-up copy. Then one does not have to worry about bulking the real hood with crazy experiments.
Carla, I'm terrified to play owned business lots anymore! And yet another business to build (rebuild), as if I didn't have enough to rebuild already, lol! I do have some ideas though for how Carly's boutique would differ from Jolie Jolie. I've always wanted to have a formal/bridal boutique, and Jolie Jolie was always too modern-looking for that.
ReplyDeleteI'm certainly not brave enough to be in the military myself either, but I do have a very brave and adventurous little boy, who might want to be a brave young man some day, and that's scary! I guess that's probably what I'm drawing on when I write Aurora here.
lepifera, I tried everything I could think of to get her to leave that lot (even to another community lot), but nothing worked. I don't know what I'm doing so differently now than all the other years of playing business lots.
Laura, you've been busy...and not just with your move. Slouchy Girl and Berjes both really needed makeovers,so that was really nice. And then losing your beautiful school and Jolie Jolie. Arghh. Anyway, no apology necessary, I just look forward to your updates whenever they come.
ReplyDeleteI really feel for Aurora.
As for Carly, her little shop has so much potential, its really fun to think about.
I love the way you integrated losing Jolie Jolie so naturally into the storyline... if I hadn't heard about what happened to the shop, it would have seemed like you'd planned it this way. I also like the way you even gave it a kind of positive swing at the end with Carly thinking about her new shop.
ReplyDeleteIts really strange, losing two businesses immediately after each other like that. Maybe the answer is to back up your whole hood more frequently - even every day or two. I guess when you finish playing you could delete the previous day's backup and make a new one, then if anything happens you only lose a bit of gameplay. Copying your whole hood to another location is slow but if you're finished playing anyway it doesn't matter really.
Francesca, thank you! It's good to know you guys are sticking with me :)
ReplyDeleteI've got a lot of neat ideas for Carly, and I think it will be really special for her to be able build her place from scratch.
Blackcat, thanks! Maybe this is a mixed blessing for Aurora, since she was feeling overwhelmed anyway ;)
I know I could stand to back up more frequently. I just bought myself a new external HD, so that should make the effort more appealing for me. I usually back up just after babies are born, or after I've done some extensive building. (I don't care about gameplay lost so much since a lot of this is grounded in story, and gameplay is easy to recreate.) But now I'll certainly be backing up just before I take business owners to their businesses, every single time, lol!
Oh man, not again! That sucks. YES, leave without saving when that note pops up! That's what I do when it happens, and I rarely EVER make sims selectable on business lots anymore. I do to set up their queue, then unselect them real quick. I'm terrified after my mess, though thankfully I was able to fix it.
ReplyDeleteAs for the update, yeah Tyler! He's soo cute. I feel for Aurora with her son away at war, watching the news would be the worst thing to do though.
I enjoyed the peak into the space station, looks great.
Awww poor Aurora! I would want my son back too. I can't believe you're going to kill one of the soldiers!! Every time I read one of these I'm like: "Oh no, not them!" And I'm really sorry about you losing all of your buildings :(
ReplyDeleteMy mom's a really good builder on sims, but it takes her a while, but if you ever wanted something that's not too heavy on the CC maybe she could build it for you :)
I'm sorry you lost Jolie, Jolie, but it is kind of fun to start up a new business. Carly's shop has a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with it!
ReplyDeleteI was glad to see Tyler and get a bit of an update about how things are going up in space. I can imagine how frightening it is for Aurora to see these mentions of soldiers being killed and having your heart stop for a moment as you wonder "what if?" (I have a lot of family members in the military!)
LOL, poor Berjes! But Jodie's makeover turned out great!
hmm.. actually, if you happen to have a backup file of LH from an earlier age, you can load that version (given that you have moved your current LH somewhere else safe first because one can't have two copies of the same neighborhood in the folder at the loading time), let 'younger' Aurora sell the lot so you can place the unowned store in lot bin to generate duplicates. Quit. Switch the earlier version of LH folder with the current one. Load the current LH and you should have a working version of the store.
ReplyDeleteMaisie, that's a good idea, to just set up their queue and then unselect.
ReplyDeleteHa, did that quench your Tyler craving? ;) I intend to give you guys a better peek at the space station in time. I still have some more building to do. (Considering everything, I have a ton of building to do, lol!) But I think there might be a reason for one of them to be giving a little tour soon-ish.
Tessa, well, to be technical, I'm not going to kill anyone - the aliens will ;) I've wondered about the "whys" in all of this, killing off characters in storytelling, and is it necessary? I think it is necessary, sometimes, though I haven't hammered out the whys still. Maybe because death is a part of life, and so it will naturally be explored in stories.
Shana, it felt about time that I let you guys hear from them out there :)
And Berjes, lol, the hair and the makeover happened one right after the other, no joke! Aurora has a gold badge in cosmetology, so I figured she must really be exhausted!
lepifera, you know, that really sounds like it would work! (And I just might have an older backup somewhere) But eeek! I've never had to revert to a backup before, and I'd be scared as hell to try it out just to get that lot. That's a good tip though, because theoretically, it would work!
Restoring the backup is easy, more-or-less the same as what I've just done, switching my game to a different computer.
ReplyDeleteTo do what lepifera suggested, just cut and paste your current N00(whatever) hood file to a safe place out of the EA Games/Sims 2 folder that's (usually) in My Documents - on your desktop would do. Then cut and paste the backup N00whatever in its place. Do the reverse to get your current hood back after you've saved the lot.
To back up your entire game (incl. lots, cc, cameras etc) or move it to a different computer, do the same with the whole EA Games/Sims 2 folder from in My Documents. That folder includes everything you've done with the game. Like I said, I've successfully switched computer this way, and restored backups I made immediately before trying somethng risky, when the thing didn't work.
I've heard of people who have several EA Games/Sims 2 folders depending on the type of hood they're playing - for example, one with no cc for challenges, one with only Victorian cc for their Victorian hood, etc. They just switch them around according to what they're playing. Works well, especially if they use a lot of default replacements in one type of hood.
The whole EA games/Sims 2 folder switch wouldn't work to save a lot because the folder includes the lots and houses bin, but just switching the individual neighbourhood should work.
Hmmm, so it's really just that easy, copy/pasting the neighborhood folder? I'd probably find a way to do it wrong, lol! But maybe I'll give it a try tonight.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if I could get my school back that way too ;)
You could probably get back the school prior to your redecorating... Just to be safe, make copies of your current hood in two places, like one on the desktop and one on your portable drive... but, really, it is that easy.
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks to lepifera for the idea, because for my blog I'm maybe-planning to recreate something that happened in my hood past (my pictures back then were crappy) and if I can find an old backup from closer to the time, its going to save me a lot of trouble of resurrecting people, redecorating houses the way they used to be, etc! I've never completely sorted out the stuff from the drive of my laptop that died a year ago, there's still stuff from it on my huge portable drive, and I might just have what I need.
Oh, and I just thought... make a backup copy of your current lots and houses bin, too... or better still, make the second backup one of your whole EA Games/Sims 2 folder. That way if anything does go wrong, you're got the previous version of everything you changed.
ReplyDeleteI found one backup from back in December, so that one might work! The other two I had (2/19 and 3/12) were both from after I borked the school, according to the dates in my babble thread.
ReplyDeleteI probably won't change anything that has to do with Carly having her own new store, but I'll be damn glad not to have to rebuild my whole school :)
But yes, thank you lepifera! This is a very handy trick to keep in mind! I'll definitely be keeping periodic copies of the neighborhood, now that I have the extra space for it.
Oooh, I would love to have a copy of my neighborhood back from when my founding Sims were alive! I'd love to get some better pictures of them - I hardly have any.
What a great update! I love how poetic you were with just the title!
ReplyDeleteAurora and Adrian are one of my favorite couples and you know I love my girl Carly. I was actually waiting for her to start crying when Aurora let her go and say that she left Joe too because he cheated on her!
The new store idea is great! I have a bridal boutique in my game and it's so much fun to take my engaged girls too! And it would be awesome to see more of Carly!
Nice to get a space update, and a tiny Keri cameo.
Glad to hear you saved the store and the school! Poor Hazel, though. She just got that job, lol! Oh, and can you please tell me where you got the hairstyle that the redhead girl has? Nice makeover!
And I'm really liking Jodie's new makeover too!
Billy, thanks, but the title comes from a line in the soundtrack song, so I can't claim that ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping Carly might hire Hazel for her new shop, so Hazel won't have lost a job at least. I've always had a fondness for Carly (though not so much for Joe, lol!), so even if she's not made "playable" (still dislike that terminology), I'm always happy to work her into the updates :)
Hmmm, the hair? I'm guessing Rissa Styles, maybe? (link on my CC page) I honestly can't remember that one, but I don't get my hair from very many places, so it must be one of the few I've linked.
Hey, just reading through some archives... and I just realized why you names the Jackson's dog Mary Jane.
ReplyDeleteOh Laura, you silly goose!
LOL! Well, thank you for noticing! I can't believe nobody's mentioned that before now! I mean, seriously! ;)
ReplyDelete