Wednesday, February 24, 2010

one day, thirty-two years later...

September 2083 - Adrian Jackson and Aurora Miguel are 51.


One day, Aurora decides to buy a little beachside bungalow on Twikki Island. She and Adrian have finally come to a point in their lives where they have plenty of money to spend on such luxuries, and she could use a little relaxation. She's earned this relaxation. The elections are coming up fast, and this fall, she's running for CFO of the Lake County Treasury. And that's on top of managing her award-winning boutique. On top of teaching business classes at the university. But mostly, that's all on top of the fact that her baby is two-hundred-thousand miles outside the Earth's atmosphere, and training to go to war.

Her head is just about spinning, and she doesn't even know which direction to stop it in.


But Adrian assures her this is nothing a little fresh air, warm sand, and soft foaming waves can't cure...


Or a delicate fresh-cut rose...


Or a juggling competition, in their underwear, that she's winning...


It's no great mystery where her boys got their silliness from. Or their charm. Adrian has always been such a good reminder for her to take life slower sometimes. Without him, she thinks her head would have spun itself well off by now.


So this short off-season vacation is good for her spirits, with nothing else to do but sleep, make love, sleep some more, take long quiet walks around the island, and have long lazy lunches at one hotel cafe or another.


After one of those long lazy lunches, they're walking around the open pavilion and she can't help but look over his shoulder. Through the trees, she can barely make out the vined arch on the beach, the wedding resort, with its decorated patio being prepped for an evening wedding. A silly ritual as far as she's ever been concerned, but it happens every day, two young people committing their lives to each other.

She's barely conscious of the words as they leave her lips. "Do you ever think about it?"

He turns to follow her gaze on the beach behind him. "What, marriage?" He looks at her as if he's never been asked a more foreign question in his life. "Do you?"

"No, not really," she says. Until now, she might add. Until this very moment, she's never doubted their decision even for a second. She doesn't know what this is. "Do you think we should have, for the boys?"

"The boys turned out okay."

"Yeah, they're fine," she says.


It's still on her mind as they step back inside the cafe. She doesn't quite know how to ask this. "Do you still see people?"

His face is blank. It's not something they normally talk about - in fact, they've never discussed it with each other in any great detail. They've never shared notes, or swapped stories. But she can't help herself wondering.

"I mean, it's fine, right? Because that's what we said. But I was just wondering, when was the last time?"

"You really want to know?"

She nods.

"Alana Fortney," he says. "About eight years ago."

"Oh no," she says. "You weren't the reason they...?"


"No," he says. "Everybody had a piece of her."

"Nice," she says. "That's good to hear."

"What about you?"

"Just after the boys were born, maybe," she says. "Abe."


"I hated that guy," he says.

She laughs, secretly loving the way her ex-lover's name makes his forehead scowl. He only ever had flings of his own, that much she is certain of, while she was able to keep long-running affairs. At least in the beginning, before the boys, before her life became so rich and full that she didn't have the energy to spend keeping boyfriends apart.

"You don't get to hate any of them," she says.


"But wow, Abe? That must have been almost twenty years ago."

"Yeah," she says. "Well you know. I've been busy."

And then she finds herself blushing, as if they were sharing their very first intimacies all over again, learning deeply new things about each other. Her secret comes out into the open - at least on her part, this no longer seems to be an open arrangement.

He only holds her hands and smiles. She can't ask him to commit to any more than that. Not unless he wants to.


They stay there at that hotel, wandering from the beach to the bar to the pavilion, long into the twilight hours, dancing under the last glowing traces of daylight. As they whisper to each other, as they share their familiar touches, somewhere behind them there is a young couple committing their lives to each other.


And this one day, thirty-two years later, she looks up at him and she can't remember why all those years ago she was so stubborn, so sure she never wanted to join herself to just one man. In the end, it's exactly what she's done. In the end, she didn't need to sacrifice her autonomy to be a partner and a piece of this family. And when nothing else in her life is certain, it gives her this moment of reflection: did they do it right?

She asks him, "Are we okay?"

"Better," he says. "We're great."


*******

(footnotes: Jolie, Jolie and teaching at LCU // Tyler called up to war // Alana Fortney, whom everyone had a piece of...)

notes: sorry if this one, and the next probably, are kind of light reading. I'm moving this week... again... and on top of that, I feel kind of tired-coldy-sneezy. My real writing has been totally washed out lately too. But if all goes according to our careful plans, we should only have a day or two of internet downtime, and I fully expect to get my brain back after this move is done.

Grrr, hate moving!

Anyway, let's consider this a sort of prelude to the Jackson family update. It was meant to just be off-camera stuff for the background of their family update, but I started working on it, and then all this came out of it. Funny how that happens, buy a beach house, get a mini-update, lol!

But it's okay, since I hadn't even realized it until I did the math, but they've been together a freaking long time! Thirty-two years is quite an achievement even up against the most solid of marriages. So I thought they deserved to celebrate that a little, in their own way.

That, and Beau completely took over their whole upcoming family update ;)


But anyway, back to the point, these two never, EVER roll the multiple partners wants anymore, and I can't even remember the last time they did (which is odd, for romance primaries). Yet for all their very obvious monogamy, they still fear the hell out of getting married to each other, lol!



But this? Thirty-two years later, and now she's having second thoughts? Does she mean it? Is it a mid-life crisis? Maybe in the midst of all this going on, she's just taking a moment of personal reflection, and recognizing the commitment?

Let's have her sit on that thought for a little while ;)

15 comments:

  1. You do a great job of getting inside all of these different characters' heads. This was so sweet. I love her reflection at the end, when she's thinking about how she ended up in a monogamous relationship without meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may have been light but it was fun and rang true for the way their relationship has ended up being so resilient. I love how they ended up being so intimate about their last flings.

    Moving again--arghh! I can't tell you how much I hate moving; I've probably moved 30 times in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great! I understand how Aurora must've felt because sometimes every women needs to feel that assurance with your partner and your self. Feel united. Great writing and keep up the good work, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! It would take this much time for commitment to finally become an option for them, wouldn't it? I love how you explained it, though. For some reason... it makes sense for these two. They just seem to work, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, awww, thank you! They kind of take over my brain, I can't really help it ;)

    Francesca, thanks! It was a good thing for them to share, I think. Though I don't think she would have liked to hear it if he had been dating still, lol! She likes to say she's not the jealous type, but evidence shows that she is ;)

    Princess, thank you! I agree, and maybe even more so in an unmarried relationship, since there's not that legal bind there - there's a lot of trust required.

    Mao, thanks! For sure, they'd be a mess without each other! I love couples like that, who both bring something different and important to the relationship :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's sweet... I've never had a romance couple who don't roll wants for other partners... I have had that want/fear for marriage at the same time, but I figure if they'd gain more aspiration points than they'd lose, then the want wins :)

    Good luck for the move!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This entry was so sweet. I loved the pace. It moved along casually like a walk on the beach, and then we stop and come to a realization. I loved those pictures at the end with them leaning in closely to each other and the ocean behind them. Perfectly sweet and romantic and intimate.

    And what is that fear? Is that a fear of his moving out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really sweet. It was light in that it was short and happy but it wasn't insubstantial in the least. I can't remember how much you've written about Aurora and Adrian before, at least apart from their role as parents (I did know they had an open relationship though), but I enjoyed this. I feel like I got to know Aurora a little better and I like her.

    An open relationship is not normally something I'd consider romantic but this really was! They're honest with each other and it's been so long since either of them have been with anyone else and they've sort of become monogamous by default.

    And rolling up the want for marriage after all these years! Ha, you know I'd be starting the wedding planning already (I am planning weddings in my head for couples who aren't even engaged yet!) but I'll be interested to see where you take this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaw, this was a sweet one.

    I like how you wrote about how they balance each other out, he's silly and carefree, and she's got a ton of responsibilites.

    It was cute.

    And they're so perfect together! I just can't get over how perfectly you interpet their wants!

    Oh, and btw lunar, I believe her fear is that he will reject an invitation "back to her place" LOL.

    Good luck moving, laura! I really don't know anything about it, having only moved once in my whole life, and it was down the street!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blackcat, thanks! It's definitely a rare thing to see. But some of my Sims seem to forget their primary aspirations sometimes (or often, lol!). It's like their secondary aspirations just completely take over. In this case, he's pleasure secondary, and she's fortune secondary, and they hardly remember that they're romance Sims, lol!

    Lunar, thank you! It surprised me a bit too, the realization, so I just built off of that ;)

    That fear, like Billy said, is that he might reject her asking him back to her place... which is kind of irrelevant since they live together, lol!

    Carla, thanks! They were featured in the young loves prequel story (I did give Aurora a nose job, I think, after college, if you're wondering why she looks different, lol!). But you're right, usually the boys manage to take over their updates. Even now that they've moved out, they still managed to take over their coming update. So I think Adrian and Aurora have earned this little story.

    I'm trying to hold off on the wedding plans, lol! They've taken this long to decide to commit, so maybe in another thirty years or so they might decide to take the plunge? Or maybe they'll get it together sooner than that?

    In any case, they'd want to wait until Tyler got home :(

    Billy, thank you. Moving sucks! Unfortunately, you're bound to find that out for yourself some day, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the part where she blushes, admitting that in the end it's been a monogamous relationship for her after all.

    I'm really curious what his thought was on this information, and how it made him feel.

    Good luck with your move! Is it in the same state/city or a long distance one? Moving is old hat to me, in fact we are schedule to move to another state this year. I hate all the gritty work, like unloading the truck, or packing up odds and ends. But I do a mean job at packing a kitchen.

    I hope everything goes well, that you aren't without internet too long, and that you get over the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maisie, thanks! That's a good question! And I certainly have him talking up a storm in my head, so you guys will hear what he has to say in their family update ;)

    It's just a short move this time, thankfully! Still, I can't imagine doing it very often, and I never want to do it again until I'm moving into my own house that I'll own for 30 years, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These two have such an interesting relationship. They seem to be quite open with one another which is something new and they are able to accept each other's past quite readily.

    Been trying to catch up on stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carnaxa, thanks! They suit each other well. And yay for catching up! :)

    All, internet downtime for a couple days. I have something scheduled ahead for you on Sunday (hope it works, lol!), and hopefully I'll be back online to respond to comments sometime Monday or Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was such a sweet update. Wow they been together really long time, and they seems still so much in love.

    ReplyDelete