He appears to no longer be modding, so consider this hack unsupported. If it doesn't work for you, for whatever reason, there's really nothing I can do to help you. Though I'm using it in my game still, up through all the EPs, and I can verify that it's working fine. The Uni EP is required, obviously.
(download here)
I can't remember how exactly mine differs from the original. I think I changed the degrees required for some of the jobs, to match how it made sense in my head. I can't quite remember how his was laid out, but I'll tell you what mine does.
Basically, it makes certain careers require a college education, quite simply. If your Sim does not have the required degree, the computer or newspaper will weed out those jobs offered that day that your Sim does not qualify for. This also means if your Sim is uneducated, they run the risk of being offered no jobs on a particular day. They'll have to look again the next day. So much like real life, lol!
Details:
open: means no degree is required, and the career should show up for everyone
degree required, any: means the Sim must have a degree, but any will work
degree required, specific: means the Sim must have one of the specified degrees for the job to show up at all.
bonus: means the Sim gets a boost in the initial career level offer for having a related degree
Base Game:
Athletics: open (bonus: literature, drama, biology)
Business: degree required, any (bonus: psychology, math, economics)
Criminal: open (bonus: psychology, physics, math, economics)
Culinary: open (bonus: philosophy, art)
Law Enforcement: open (bonus: psychology, political science, biology)
Medicine: degree required, specific: psychology, physics, biology
Military: open (bonus: political science, history, economics)
Politics: degree required, any (bonus: political science, history, economics)
Science: degree required, specific: psychology, physics, math, biology
Slacker: open (bonus: philosophy, literature, art)
Uni EP:
Artist: open (bonus: literature, history, drama, art)
Natural Scientist: degree required, specific: physics, math, history, biology
Paranormal: open (bonus: psychology, physics, philosophy, math)
Show Biz: open (bonus: political science, literature, drama, art)
Life Stories: N/A
Seasons:
Adventurer: open (bonus: physics, history)
Education: degree required, any (bonus: math, literature, history, economics)
Gamer: open (bonus: philosophy, math, art)
Journalism: degree required, any (bonus: political science, philosophy, literature, history)
Law: degree required, specific: political science, philosophy, history
Music: open (bonus: physics, math, drama, art)
***
The Freetime EP came out after this mod was created, so Freetime careers are not affected by it. In my game, I enforce the degrees as follows. If there are any bonuses, they're given by the game as default.
Architecture: degree required, specific: physics, math, history, art
Dance: open
Entertainment: open
Intelligence: degree required, specific: psychology, political science, philosophy, history
Oceanography: degree required, specific: physics, math, history, biology
Thank-you for bringing my notice to this hack. I always thought the degree to job thing from Uni didn't always make sense and especially since there's a way to modify the hack for my own nefarious purposes, even better!
ReplyDeletesweet:)
ReplyDeleteHope you enjoy it! I love it when modders make their hacks able to be tweaked in SimPe! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is great! Thanks! :)
ReplyDeleteOoh, me likey! I'ma download once I get home. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteHow cool! I didn't even know this hack existed, let alone your modified version!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you've got the same ideas as me regarding degree and non-degree careers, even down to the specific majors. I'll definitely be using this!
Thanks for putting this up, just one question though... how do you transfer it to your game from simPE? I've always had a problem with that...
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! thank you for sharing your file! I'm guessing this doesn't effect sims already in said careers right? I'm so excited to have great jobs removed from job hunts with this. My Eva Barthelet and family is so poor (repo each season I play them) and she was stuck with a crappy taxi job forever, but the option for awesome jobs was always there. I just ignored them since she wasn't educated enough (imo) for them. Now I won't be the meanie giving out crap jobs!
ReplyDeleteQuestion... do you know how to mod career hours and pay? I have a few custom careers that have unrealistic hours/wages and I'd like to tweak them. I tried google and came up with zilch. I thought you might have an idea since you've modded a lot of nifty things.
You're welcome, everyone! I hope you enjoy it! :)
ReplyDeleteTessa, it's already modified and all set, so you should be able to just plop it in your Downloads folder. If you want to modify it further yourself, then just open it up in SimPe and it'll save itself right in the Download folder where you put it. Is that what you were asking? lol!
Maisie, right, it won't affect existing career levels.
As for custom careers, I modify them all the time. I think all custom careers are able to be modified in SimPe, just only touch the BCON files. And when you're looking at values, make sure you're looking in the decimal box and not the hexadecimal box.
I'll open up a career in SimPe a little bit later and have a closer look, and see if I can offer any more insight.
Thanks. One more step toward realism.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I figured it out, except I don't understand how to edit days they work/dont, happen to know?
ReplyDeleteMaisie, I made a tutorial (see my next update). I actually meant to post this custom career anyway, so I took a couple screenshots while I was editing :)
ReplyDeleteOh, okay, I get it now :) Thanks!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI have a small question, and I hope you can help me; do you know how to adjust custom careers so they become only accesable with a specific degree?
ReplyDeleteI've found "tuning flags" there too, do I adjust it there?
I'm sorry for bothering you with this.
Tanja, no I don't think there's any way to do that for a custom career. It would have to be done through the unicareers hack, rather than through the custom career itself, and this hack I've modified only works with the Maxis careers. I'd have no idea how to add in a custom career to the mix. I just enforce my rules manually for any of my custom careers.
ReplyDelete