* soundtrack: "The Way I Am," by Ingrid Michaelson *
"I hope you don't think you're getting the stuff in my room," he says. "It's just a room. It's going to be empty. I know you just want my computer."
"You can't put it in the attic," Dakota says. "Electronics shouldn't be stored outside of room temperatures, in the winter, that attic can get down to fifteen degrees."
"It does," Delphie says.
"Only you guys would know that," he says.
"Somebody might as well," Delphie says.
"Lucy needs it," he says.
Delphie laughs. "She probably does."
"She does not," Dallas says. "I mean, there aren't any on it."
"Dakota!" Violet shouts from the living room. "Stop pestering your brother."
"I'm giving it to Lucy," he says.
"I knew it," Dakota says.
"I knew it too," Delphie says.
"You can't even drive it yet," he says. "And besides, it's already kind of hers, we built it together."
"It's alright, you guys have been all naked in that too, I'm sure."
***
She writes apocalyptic science-fiction. The City, her first novel, was about the powerful and prosperous city, the capital of the state, and the people who lived there. The Violent Underground was about the sadness of a small race of citizens living there, who had to go into hiding because of the conflict of war.
She was stalled for so long before writing the third book. Ending a trilogy of this magnitude is such enormous pressure! They're calling this the richest and most engrossing collection of a generation! How do you live up to that?
But then the third book just came to her like a vision, it spilled out of her fingertips as if through a muse. It's finished, and she reads it to her daughters.
They break apart, they spread throughout the land. The strong ones go, and the shattered families fall apart. There is a rumored town on the East coast that is filled with acceptance and life. This is where some of them are going.
"Oh," Delphie says. "They leave?"
"They can't leave," Dakota says. "That's a terrible ending!"
"Why?" Violet asks them. "The city is destroyed, they're going somewhere better."
"But they're all split apart," Dakota says. "They're all giving up."
"Do they ever get there?"
"Well, it's an open ending. The reader doesn't know if they ever make it. But you're supposed to be left with a feeling of hope."
"There isn't another book, it's a trilogy, that means three." It isn't that she wants to end it - writing these stories has been her absolute joy. But all things have to end, naturally. Nothing goes on forever.
"It can't end like that."
"No, it can't end like that."
"That's a terrible ending."
"That's not the end, Mom."
Delphie says, "Did you know there's a scholarship set up for people who think they've been abducted by aliens? I'm gonna try to win it."
"I bet you won't," Dakota says. "Unless you make it up."
"I'm not gonna lie."
"What, you don't think those other people are lying?"
Delphie doesn't answer her.
"Anyway," Dakota says. "Dad says they're not coming back. Especially not now."
"Yeah, I guess not now."
"His bedroom?"
"His bedroom."
Dakota turns and takes a quick peek over her shoulder.
"I saw him coming down the stairs once," Delphie says.
"What was he doing?"
"You know, walking."
"Now we can have our own computers?"
"Now we can build bigger robots! And pay back that second mortgage. Maybe you girls might get to go to college after all!"
Delphie does indeed decide to apply for that scholarship anyway. She won't lie and say she's met aliens, but she writes a three-page essay about her passion for those who have, and that she feels in her heart for what they've been through.
It's kind of ridiculous, if you ask Dakota, that her sister ends up getting declined anyway. The rules state that you have to have met an alien, and not just be one. Though of course, Delphie didn't tell them that she was an alien. They aren't allowed to tell people that.
It's kind of ridiculous, if you ask Dakota, that her sister ends up getting declined anyway. The rules state that you have to have met an alien, and not just be one. Though of course, Delphie didn't tell them that she was an alien. They aren't allowed to tell people that.
***
There have been words thrown around, if strides aren't made soon, talk of prescription medications, and a more prestigious hospital in Pennsylvania. Her mother is always worried, but lately she's taken to carrying around these books on every topic you might imagine - on adolescent daughters, on teen depression, on youth rebellion even though Dakota isn't rebelling against anything she could put into words.
"Mom," Dakota whines.
"Okay," Violet says. "Is there something you need? Are you mad at us, me and your father? You know we love you more than anything."
"I know, Mom."
Dakota cringes.
A nurse calls from the corridor, "Dakota Deppiesse? She's ready for you."
"My dad just got a bunch of money," Dakota says. "I guess we'll be making even more robots now."
"What kinds of robots does your father make?"
"That does sound weird," Mariah says.
"But Delphie never cares about that kind of stuff, she just does what she's told. Even Lucy likes Delphie more."
"Is that really true?"
"Yeah, well, at least since I hit her."
"You hit Lucy? Do you feel mad at Lucy?"
"No, why would I be mad at Lucy?"
"She probably spends a lot of time with your brother, doesn't she?"
"Yeah, I guess it's kind of annoying. They're always hugging, and kissing, and you know, other gross stuff. And it's not like we get to ever see him anymore. And he's leaving next week, and what if he never comes back? He might want to live there forever and we'll never see him again."
"And how would that make you feel, if he didn't come back?"
"That would really suck." Dakota sighs. "I'm not mad at Lucy though, I like Lucy."
"What do you want to do?"
"I want to win a dance competition, at The Roller Pit, or a gaming competition. I want to go to college - I'm already in the AP classes, but it's not the same. I'm bored. This is all so boring, but Delphie isn't bored, she's just so happy and nice. And she always does what she's supposed to do, and she likes it."
"But you're not your sister, are you?"
"No," Dakota says. "I'm not."
"Okay Mom," she says. "We can go now."
*** to be continued ***
(footnotes: the robot shop // Dakota is angry // Dakota is still angry)
notes: all this, and I've finally managed to get Dakota into the low green, lol! What a miserable, miserable young lady! Her wants panel is always filled with ridiculous things, jobs she's not old enough for, dance contests she can't win (she doesn't even like dancing!), expensive things her parents can't afford to buy, and the constant want to be BFFs with Lucy, lol!
Lucy is already BFFs with Delphie, but not Dakota yet, probably because of the smackdown incident. It's kind of interesting though, when Dakota had her meltdown, the two people she hit were her sister and Lucy... hmmm... ;)
I'm laughing uncontrollaby at Violet's fear of Dakota chasing someone. I might just cry.
ReplyDeletePoor Dakota! It seems like she's afraid that she'll wind up in her sister's shadow. To tell the truth I've always liked Dakota a bit more than Delphie.
I need to mention that I love how you named the Deppiesse children. Dallas, Dakota, Delphie all place names! And the song choice is one of my favorites.
Keep on simming!
LOL! Dakota on the loose, chasing and terrorizing people! ;)
ReplyDeletePoor Dakota. I can imagine that it's not easy being a twin and having everyone compare you to your sister, who never seems to be unhappy or cause problems. Then there's also the overachieving big brother to live up to. Add in alien heritage and it's no wonder poor Dakota is having a hard time figuring out where she fits in. :(
O, Dakota...since everyone else has said it all before (comparisions, puberty, etc) I won't say anything. Maybe Dakota could go on a nice vacation with her mother. I have a feeling that Violet could help more than Dakota thinks.
ReplyDeleteOh my! I love Violet's fear!! That is too funny!!
ReplyDeleteI hope that Violet's book isn't a foreshadowing for her own family. And I agree with the twins that it's not a good ending to a trilogy.
I hope Dakota is able to find peace and happiness with herself.
All, about Violet's fear, the funniest thing is that Dakota actually was chasing and terrorizing people for a short while, lol! It almost makes me wonder if it's not a glitch after all? :)
ReplyDeleteVictoria, I think you're on to something there with her fears of being in her sister's shadow, while her sister actually looks up to her quite a bit. We'll shed more light on that soon, I think.
I'm glad you noticed the names :) I can't even remember what inspired that. I imagine it was probably their parents wanting them to fit in and be as normal as possible, lol!
Isn't that song awesome?! I just adore Ingrid Michaelson! Her newest album is just rocking out my novel right now. I feel like writing her a letter or something, to thank her for being so awesome, lol! (Laura = hopeless fangirl!)
Shana, you're right, Dallas is a lot to live up to as well. She really is stuck in the middle of two ideal children, isn't she?
Apple, awww, that is a nice idea :)
maisie, I think she's headed in the right direction finally. She's a tough girl to make happy right now!
That last glitch is hilarious! I've never seen that or heard about that in game, so just maybe it's a real fear? LOL!
ReplyDeletePoor Dakota. Maybe she really does need to break out and be different from Delphie. Cut her hair or something. Because it isn't easy living with two other siblings. Sometimes you do feel so left out or left behind. It's too easy to look at what they're doing and compare yourself to them.
But I loved seeing the three of them all together at breakfast, especially the two of them ganging up on their older brother.
The bit where Violet says that all things have to end - it really struck a chord in me.
ReplyDeleteI love the title of her books too.
That glitch is too funny! It's much less creepy than when my Galen rolled up the want to flirt with his brother-in-law's dog too. LOL.
ReplyDeleteDelphie and Dakota together are so hilarious. "Lucy needs to get her naked pictures off of it" I love those two.
I hope Mariah's given Dakota something to think about though, regarding the fact that she's her own person and not Delphie. It seemed to make an impression on her, so let's hope so!
Oh, but my heart sank when I read "Dallas is leaving next week". So sad.
ROFL, I don't think it's a glitch. I think she might actually fear this happening again. One of my sims had a strange fear that I had never seen before. And I was looking through pictures and seen her childing doing that fear. I wish I could remember what it was though. LOL Sometimes our little simmies can actually act smart.
ReplyDeletePoor Dakota, but has she finally realized why she is so angry? That she is NOT her sister and that she will actually miss her brother. Does she secretly think something bad will happen to him, not him deciding to stay over seas?
And just how do they know that Dallas and Lucy are doing "other gross stuff?" lol
Lunar, I liked getting them all together too - it's too much like real life, one of them is off working, or dating, or whatever, that it's hard to get everyone together at the same time. And LOL, I'm SO taking pictures of the kids all together before Dallas leaves!
ReplyDeleteCarnaxa, thanks! I love giving my Sim-writers their own stories :)
Carla, I have a lot of fun playing with Delphie and Dakota together - they're an interesting pair :)
And yes, it's coming! Get your tissues ready, lol!
Riverdale, they really do seem amazingly intelligent sometimes!
I do think this is an important turning point for Dakota. It's actually kind of fun, having my Sims do the therapy thing. Even in gameplay, I think I've worked out some ideas that might make her happier from now on.
And as the oldest of five, I have to say, little siblings are NOSY! They can't help it - part admiration, and part curiosity, they're just so eager to find out what being "grown up" is all about... (which equates to an ear pressed to the door, usually, and ending up hearing things they wish they didn't, lol!)
So either it's that, or Lucy is just loud, lol! :)
Hello, how are you going? I thought that the ending was a great way to leave it, as all great writers do mainly leave the reader with the feeling of wanting to read more. Sorry but I don't think Iv'e heard the song you wrote it too. But it was sweet any way, cute too.
ReplyDeleteDallas leaving, poor Lucy. I'm hoping this doesn't lead to a break up. Also, I did try to comment on the last post but it kept telling me the page wasn't available. I felt sorry for the couple afterward and I agreed with Mao's post - the last paragraph of what she said.
ROFL It doesn't look like Lucy would be loud, but then again, you never know.
ReplyDeleteBeing the only child I don't know what it's like to want to be like, or even look up to an older brother or sister. I might have to observe my kids more. LOL
Orla, thanks! Endings like that are more down to execution than anything. Yes, poor Lucy, and poor Dallas too. I'm anxious/excited for you guys to read the next part :)
ReplyDeleteRiverdale, LOL! You know those "good girls" get freaky behind closed doors ;)
I LOVE DALLAS AND LUCY TOGETHER! (had to get that out.)
ReplyDeleteLOL for five minutes over Lucy being loud in the bedroomm, ha! Only the hotel people would know. (and probably Vicky, who most likely stalked them there and listened! hehehe)
Dakota and her anger is written really well, although is it really that bad that she needs to go to an institution?
And I noticed in this update how beautiful Violet is! (love her trilogy, too. And I'm enjoying the varied success of your female authors in LH. Violet's a literary genious, Aurora is pretty successful, and Hailey is mediocre, lol!)
bbop, Dakota was really worrying me for a while. I couldn't get her to roll any wants to bring her up out of the red, and she kept autonomously hitting people, lol! I think this is a turning point for her though.
ReplyDeleteViolet is very pretty - must be why her children are all so adorable :)
And now that I think of it, my one male novelist (Nathan Lind) wrote a flop, lol! I swear I have nothing against male writers! Drew Bruty is supposedly quite the stellar poet though, so we'll have him make up the difference for the men ;)
Poor Dakota. Being a teen is not easy. Being a teen who's "different" is even harder. I truly hope that Mariah helps her.
ReplyDeletepetalbrook, I think she's headed in the right direction :)
ReplyDelete