So nobody specifically asked me to do this one, but I've been using different heights in my game for some time now, and discovered a few tricks, so I thought I would share them.
Dallas and Lucy are happy to oblige us in the demonstration of these techniques ;)
Some other mods you'll want for this session: Look at Player (Fourth-Wall), and Decorgal's Custom Modeling Poses with Face Overlays, which is the only handy-dandy pose box I use in my game.
And your cheat dictionary:
moveobjects on
boolprop snapObjectsToGrid false
boolprop allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true
plumbbobtoggle off
showheadlines off
And LOL, looks like Dakota's been at that trash can again! :)
(and a quick disclaimer, since I'm using a teen and YA for this demonstration: for anyone wandering through for this entry, let's just explain that there's nothing shady going on here. Lucy is seventeen, Dallas is nineteen, and they've been best friends for five years, dating for about three years, and are just about the sweetest couple you ever met.
I remember in high school we used to think it was so funny that we were sixteen and our boyfriends had all just turned eighteen, and we were like, "He he, you're kissing a minor!" Come to find out that the age of consent is 16 anyway and we could have been kissing an old man and it wouldn't have mattered. But ick, anyway, on the old man!
The author, residents, and fans of Lakeside Heights do not condone grown adults kissing minors!)
(Remember to make sure you pop back out into live mode for a split second to make their hands and arms snap back into place. Get aquainted with your ` key for split second unpause/pausing.)
So this one is easy, but this doesn't hold the illusion that he is actually taller than she is, since they're kissing straight on at the same level. But again, it's easy, and pretty convenient.
Again, and again, and again, Lucy.
See, told you she was excited. This got old after about a dozen times, and yes, she did this each and every time!
This is the makeout kiss, at one of its more calm points. You'll focus on one or the other to start. I've chosen Dallas to start here. So I watch very carefully as the animation plays through, and at the point Dallas's head is pointed the most downward, I pause the game and freeze him.
If you catch the right moments, his head will tilt down, and hers up, lips aligned, and I don't even need to stick her on a OMSP. I like this one better because it holds the illusion that he's taller than her, since she's kissing upward to meet him.
You may need to watch the animation play through once or twice first, so you know when to snag the right angle.
I'll copy and paste this into a new layer.
edit > transform > rotate.
Then I delete where needed, carefully along his jawline, and then in front of his face, keeping the large space of sky behind his head. This sky will cover the place where his old head was in the first layer.
Then I flatten the layers and use the clone tool to retouch anything I need to.
I could have moved them in a smidge closer in the original picture, so that their lips would end up touching, but you know, I didn't, lol!
The manufactured trick: This uses either one half of a kissing animation, or entirely manufactured poses. These are actually not too hard to get a good combination with, since you can direct their heads with your "look at player" and freeze them with the Freezer Clock.
These are my favorite kind of kisses when I have the time to do them. They're completely unique, and each particular scene you create has never been done before in your game or anyone elses. And note (!), you will probably never be able to recreate it again, so don't unpause that game until you get your shot, lol! Take five shots! From thirteen different angles each!!!
I basically just stand him next to her, selecting through poses until something looks right, moving his head last of all.
I find the manufactured kisses tend to look more true-to-life than the in-game animations, which are quite extreme and over-animated. When real people kiss, they're rarely as animated as Sims are in-game.
Other workarounds:
-sitting: in my experience, most sitting kissing animations look okay between different heights.
-the almost-kiss: just take your shot either before the kiss happens, or after. Maybe useful if you want to create a lot of sexual tension, but lol, could also be very frustrating or unsatisfying depending on the story. Sometimes you just need to see "the money shot," you know, lol!
-the fake-out: a lot of flirt animations can be paused at different points and moved around to convey intimate moments. It's not a kiss, but looks like it could be one.
I encourage you to try these out. Don't be limited by your game, get creative! And if you do try some of these out, I'd love to see what you come up with!
(This last photo is photoshopped too, by the way. His head is tilted down.)
Thank you Laura! My Asha is 5'8" (0.99) and Luc is 6'1" (1.06). I will be needing this for sure!
ReplyDeleteI've only just started using different heights in my game and the OMSPs and the camera angle tricks were the only ones I knew of. I have lots more options now!
Carla, you're welcome! I hope it's useful :)
ReplyDeleteLaura why, why must you give me more work to do. No, just kidding. These are great and out of all these mods I'm only missing one. I will tinker around with these and see what I can do! I've staged a few pics, not many, but they were fun to do.
ReplyDeleteGreat tutorial!! I wish sim pe would load my hood so I could do this. :(
ReplyDeleteOnly Lucy and Dallas can make a full on makeout sweet instead of trashy.
ReplyDeleteHmm I don't really enjoy playing around and if I ever start a blog I won't even use height but your tutorials/explantions are always worth a read! ^ ^
Riverdale, lol! I always have fun trying to recreate what's really in my head, but yes, it's a lot of work sometimes! :)
ReplyDeletemaisie, thanks! And awww, that sucks about SimPe!
Victoria, lol, could Lucy and Dallas even be trashy if they tried? :)
I'm glad you enjoy the technical stuff still!
Thanks for the tutorial. You and Carla inspired me to start using different heights in my game too... I kinda wish you didn't because it's a lot of work! I'm a sucker for kissy-kissy pictures so this tutorial is very useful.
ReplyDeleteCissie, you're welcome! Hope you find this useful! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is sooooo perfect!
ReplyDeleteIm sure I'll use it in my game!
Congratulations genius!
Greets from Brazil ;)
Hi Anon from Brazil! Thanks! I'm so glad this was helpful for you! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks alot, i will
ReplyDelete