Wednesday, November 11, 2009

hey, dad...

June 2083 - Ryanne Phoenix is 12, Hayden is 33.


"Hey, Dad," Ryanne says, stopping her father in the living room. "Summer and Tyler, you wanna know why they were really fighting?" She doesn't wait for him to ask, why? "He had sex with another girl."

"What?" Hayden says. "Who - where did you hear that?"

"Oh..." She stammers a bit as she realizes she can't exactly admit that she had her ear pressed to the window that morning.


"You know that's none of your business," he says.

"Yeah," she says. "I guess. Hey, Dad?"

"Hey what?"

"Do we have any of that insurance money left?"

"No," he says. "We bought the house with it. Why?"

"Oh, cause I kind of want a cell phone."


He laughs. "I think I can manage to buy you a cell phone."

"Okay," she says. "Hey, Dad?"

"What?"

"Do you remember when Mom died?"


He doesn't speak at first. Her eyes wander, to some vague place on the floor. "Yeah," he says. "I do."

"That kind of sucked," she says.


"Hey, Dad?" she says, springing back to life. "You wanna come play catch?"


*******


notes: I didn't know what to do with this one after everything that happened with my dad. As the oddness of the universe would have it, this was actually the last thing I shot and wrote, in its entirety, just a day or so before I got The Call.

So it took some time before I was able to come back to it, and I think I wanted to slot it into June for the story anyway. And i
t's here, it's written, you might as well read it, right?

These Phoenix girls are very dear to my heart.


And lol, Ryanne, and the bizarre things this girl talks about! There were speech bubbles for all of it, but I preferred to recreate the story pictures for more creative freedom. She said every bit of that though, lol!

Weird girl!

15 comments:

  1. LOL Yes, she is a weird girl. And don't you think her skirt is a bit too short. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that conversation was all over the place. Gotta love kids who don't dwell on things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riverdale, lol, I don't think she'd pass the fingertip test at school ;) It's just as short as some of those Maxis skirts though!

    petalbrook, I know, poor Hayden, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, nosy little sisters, something I have too much experience with! Now she probably has Hayden wondering if maybe he should have kicked Tyler's ass before he went off to war. ;)

    I liked that we got to see a little moment of vulnerability in Ryanne in between her more lighthearted chatter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are days when I miss being a kid for that very reason.....it's so much easier to get past things and let them go. As adults we dwell so much on things.....I miss my erratic thoughts that are scattered all over the place! I do feel a bit sorry for Hayden though! How can he keep up with her?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *hug* to you.

    Nice conversation bubbles. Seems nice and left field like kids can be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shana, I have two nosy little sisters of my own :)

    Mizzgin, that's just how it is, isn't it? She said what she needed to say and moved on - he'll be thinking about it for days probably! LOL, kids!

    Maisie, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryanne is certainly the oddest little girl in Lakeside Heights. I guess that's what makes her own brand of adorableness.

    I talked more than my own share of weird topics when I was 12 and I still do.

    I agree that Ryanne's skirt is too short. I wore black tights with my skirts just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Ryanne after this. Very cute. And very touching actually. Loved the, "Hey, Dad?" "Hey what?" That was a cute little detail that sounds so much like real life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just for the record, my current comment-form snark is not directed at any of you lovely and well-spoken ladies here today :)

    Victoria, that is a pretty short skirt, isn't it? :) Such a cute outfit though! She has knee socks on if that helps.

    Lunar, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bwahaha, I love that you've added that thing about text speak above the Comments box! I hate text speak.

    I love Ryanne and Hayden's conversation and I love it even more because it came from actual speech bubbles. Kids her age jump from topic to topic like that so it rang true for me. I really like the picture where she's looking down at the floor - it really looks like she's quite pensive there.

    The skirt rule at my school was that it had to touch the ground when you were kneeling. It was a Catholic school with uniforms but we had the same rule on plain clothes days. I don't put any dress code restrictions on my Sims though so my Sims are free to wear minis to school if they want, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was such a lovely piece. The inquisitive nature of the young. So refreshing. This makes me want to have children so bad. I am almost impatient for it to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carla, thanks! I'm glad it felt authentic :) It's hard to find cute Sim-outfits with decent length skirts, lol!

    Carnaxa, children are lovely and inspiring things, about 75% of the time ;) But until it happens, enjoy the things you'll be missing for the next eighteen years - going out without a babysitter, walking around your house in underwear (or hell, naked even!), having your life not revolve around cleaning up poop, pee, or snot, sleeping in as long as you damn well please...

    Oh, sleep! Beautiful, elusive sleep! :)

    But children are great! Really, they are. <-- not sarcastic, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was sweet for some reason. Kind of like Ryanne was looking for reassurance

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heredon, thanks! That's just what I had in mind :)

    ReplyDelete