"I wouldn't know," Cabe says.
"Anyway, not even thirty-five and she thinks she's going to run for Governor. Apparently she even lost that louse of a boyfriend to help her public image."
Cabe isn't normally the type for mindless gossip, but unfortunately Madison had to unload this bomb on somebody. But Cabe was scheduled to meet her for a military briefing, and they do have serious matters to attend to.
"It's not looking likely," he says. "They've got the initial troops situated now. They're looking to call up the rest by late spring, maybe summer."
Madison feels a twinge at this - so it's really happening then. Her brother, Andy, will be one of those troops. "Well, I doubt anyone would run against you anyway," she says.
"I'm pretty sure it probably doesn't work that way," Cabe says.
"Right," she says. "Of course."
But she likes hearing Cabe's opinions on this conflict, being closer to it than she is herself. Cabe is looking through her library, his fingers prodding at a historical romance novel of all things, and she asks him, "Have you seen pictures of them?"
"There aren't any pictures yet," he says. "We've only seen their ships so far."
This is Cabe's hope he's projecting. If they look nothing like us, then they won't be very easily confused with his brother and the kids, who do look like us to an almost indistinguishable degree.
"I never thought about that," Cabe says. "I suppose it would be the polite thing to do."
On a clear night, out in the further reaches of the solar system, if you focus on something, one of Jupiter's moons, an asteroid in the belt, Saturn's bright rings, you might see a flit of silver across your view. They don't seem large, by the scale of one of Jupiter's moons - they seem inconsequential. Perspective at these kinds of distances can be deceiving.
But small as they might be, they're there. One flit, then another, a swarm of them, like insects filling the sky on a sunny day.
***
It turns out, Justin finds her just as difficult to understand a lot of the time.
He knows it must be awkward talking about marriage with a father-in-law, but it makes more sense than Justin might realize. If there's anyone else on the planet who understands dealing with the wrath of Keri Riley, Bryson does.
"When you're married to Keri?" Bryson says. "She's right, probably, most of the time, whether she actually is or not."
Bryson says, "Well goodness, son. Don't let her make you cry!"
Justin sighs. "I'm not gonna cry," he says. "Not right now, anyway."
***
And it isn't that he doesn't consider the political stuff hard work - goodness, he'd never let Madison hear him think such things! But it just isn't the kind of hard work Bryson identifies with. Work for Bryson means building real estate from the ground up, with hands and tools and materials, and charging excessive amounts of money for it. But, he supposes, every job is meant to be done by someone.
Wait a minute, where is Micah's other hand?
But Bryson thinks Quinn is just the sweetest little thing, his very first grandbaby, and Micah seems to love them both plenty. You really can't ask for much more than that.
Cute as a button!
"I think we're just going to keep you on city council," she says. "It's just with the war, this election is going to require a manager with more experience, and Blake tells me you're doing just great where you are."
Not that city council isn't hard work...
Some day he's going to get to do some real work, and he's going to be great at it! But for now, he's just waiting for his chance to shine.
***
"Yeah, it was a long shoot though," Mariah says. "It's not as fun as it looks."
"It's not fair," Keri says.
"What do you mean?"
"You got more than me."
"You got portraits," Mariah says. "And you got a wedding."
"You got a house," Keri says.
"We got a downpayment for a house, but only because we didn't get a wedding. You'll probably get a house too."
"But I didn't get a photo shoot."
Everyone looks at her, so she confesses it like a dirty secret.
"But Mom..."
"No, absolutely not!" Madison says, cutting a firm hand through the air. "You don't even know what you're getting yourself into!"
"I do know what I'm doing! I have thought about this!"
Madison grits her teeth. "This is not up for discussion."
"Well I don't actually need your permission," Keri says, with a trademark roll of her eyes. "And I'm not even asking for it."
Madison stands up, her fists balled, fuming.
"You're going to be a mother!" Madison shouts. "This war isn't for you."
"I can do this! Plenty of fathers go off to war, so why not me?"
"It's not the same," Madison says.
"It's the same," Keri says.
"What does your husband have to say about this?"
But he can't say anything, because he doesn't know if it's the same, or if he just doesn't want it to be her. But maybe this isn't about only what he wants. They made a commitment to enrich each other and grow together, and if she thinks this is her life's calling, how can he deny her such a thing?
But Quinn has woken and started to cry. Mariah says, "Keri, stop it!"
Keri yells, not just at him, but at everyone, "It's the freaking same!" And she turns away to run off through the house.
She tried to run away once, she was sixteen and got as far as the bus stop because she didn't actually know how to run away, and she didn't understand what it meant that her parents had grown up best friends with the Captain of Police. Maybe we're always in the process of growing up, even at twenty-two and on the verge of motherhood, it doesn't happen all at once. It happens in growth spurts, you try something a little bit harder and you grow from it. You have to be allowed to try.
She's never in her life let anyone tell her what to do, not her mother or father, no authority, so she doesn't know what's happening to her now. He's her husband, and that's bigger than authority—they made vows to each other. If she doesn't have his blessing, she can't do this. And she really needs to do this.
His head hangs. "I can't tell you not to go."
"But you still don't want me to."
"I'll never want you to," he says.
"I know this seems outrageous," she says. "But I really feel like it's what I'm supposed to be doing."
He takes a slow and heavy breath. "If you really want to, and you really think you need to, then I'll support it."
"Really?" she says. He nods. She tries to reach her arms around him, but she's too pregnant to move like that. He helps her to her feet.
He'll support it, but it doesn't mean he likes it, and it doesn't make it any less gutting. He isn't even thinking yet about how he'll have to raise this baby on his own for however long - and then it hits him, possibly forever?
She always knows the very point when he starts to cry. He starts to sniffle quietly, breathing in spurts, no obvious dramatics, but subtle and almost indistinguishable from the way he always looks almost in tears when they fight.
She always knows the very point when he starts to cry. He starts to sniffle quietly, breathing in spurts, no obvious dramatics, but subtle and almost indistinguishable from the way he always looks almost in tears when they fight.
"You'll kick ass and then you'll come back," he says.
"I promise," she says.
She picks up the phone and dials.
*******
notes: Ugh, sorry about the wait, this took me forever to write! This post was like a bad hair day for me - you know, you pick at it, stare at it in the mirror, thinking, "Is this really as scroungy as it looks?" And you know everybody else is going to be like, "What are you talking about? It's fine!" And it eventually comes to the point where you just have to put on a cute hat and go outside? ;)
Anyway, that wasn't even my "fight with a family member" ROS, by the way. Would have been easy if it was, lol!
I'm not forgetting about my ROS for this round, I just have most of them scheduled towards the end of the round. And then, of course, the war ROS extends into the next round too.
No joke about Bryson playing favorites with his sons-in-law - he wants to talk to and invite Justin over more than he does he own actual daughters, lol! And I don't know if Justin just has a very expressive face or if he is just that emo (maybe it's because he's married to Keri), but I swear he always looks like he's going to cry!
Joel is quite handsome, isn't he? She isn't crushing on Micah so much anymore since he's married into the family (but only because the marriage ties in-game prohibit it, otherwise I'm sure she still would be, lol!) Her newest crush is Joel Harris! And this woman just would not stop about him!I blame it on never getting any time to see her husband anymore, I've got her busy, the poor woman! :(
*** outtakes from the photo shoot ***
Okay, now forgive my immense dorkiness, lol! I think if I ever had to go out and get a real job, I'd probably go into family portrait photography. If only real life people were as easy to pose as Sims!
Here are my favorites :)
The entire Riley family is quickly becoming one of my favorite families in Lakeside Heights. I loved your little paragraph about writing this update being like a bad hair day. It made me giggle out loud! Especially since bad hair days are my arch nemesis since I'm a cosmetologist, heehee.
ReplyDeleteAnyhoo, I'm still in shock that Keri wants to join the military. Especially right after having a baby. She definitely is an independent woman, although I'd still consider her a girl since she's only 22. The photoshoot was incredibly adorable. I've got to get those pose mods that you have. I now see all the cute things you can do with them!
Mandie, I know, authority-issues girl joins the military, lol! It's going to be entertaining if nothing else. But bear with me, I'm headed somewhere with this ;)
ReplyDeleteAlso, this one explains a little bit about her kind of detachment to having this baby. She isn't upset about it so much as just impartial, really. I wonder if she'll change her mind once the baby is born?
My favorite thing about the pose mod is the face overlays - like in the ones where Mariah is holding the baby, they always look so horribly miserable when they're holding babies, lol!
SO Keri's really going to do this huh? I hope her mom was able to pull some strings and prevent her from joining, but then again, this is Keri. I just hope she does make it back. It's so sad to think of a child growing up without their mother. I mean, it's sad when they don't have a father, but a mother is special. All children need their mothers!
ReplyDeleteBefore I forget, where did you get the baby outfit from. I found it once but can't remember were. Is it InSim?
I love the family photoshoot. I need to do more for my sims. I used to when Riverdale was still a baby, but now, not so much.
Wonderful update, I'm in awe of your CC. The elder Riley's greying hair-amazing; the risky woohoo-have no clue which one you have, but the pop up messages-too funny; even the quad of paintings in the coffee shop-delisc.
ReplyDeleteI love how Justin loves her enough to not stand in her way-that's the true mark of love. Wow...however, knowing me, if I knew my hubby wouldn't be ok with such a big desicion, we'd have to find a compromise-maybe an administrative position in the military-they need some sims to stay behind and process payroll and send memos.
Riverdale, it's looking like she will at this point. We'll see how she feels after the baby is born. (If she decides not to, for whatever reason, I'll have to draft, and that's not good either...)
ReplyDeleteMy baby outfits are from MTS2. I've got quite a few of them now - I've started switching them out depending on which baby I'm playing, lol!
Apple, lol, my CC is nothing to be in awe of compared to what most people have. Most of it comes from MTS2.
I actually make the graying hair myself with Bodyshop and Photoshop - it's *really* easy, and you don't need to be artistic in the least. You just overlay the color image on top of the gray, change the opacity of the color to about 80 or 90% to let some of the gray show through. And then I use the eraser to let stronger gray streaks show through. I custom make graying hair for most of my elders :)
I think Keri might have an opportunity for compromise. I see the military having a very special place for her ;)
awesome post. I love your story telling and I cant wait to see what Madison is up to. I can only speculate what Madison will do...
ReplyDeleteExcellant hairs as well. I think I will try making my own, unless you plan on uploading some of your greying hairs.
ReplyDeleteBTW-do you mind me asking which risky woohoo you use?
If one of your woman sims were to join the military, Mariah is the one I see doing it. She goes against the grain so much as it is, that it just seems natural that she'd want to do this. Sometimes I think she likes the attention, and reaffirmation that everyone cares for her so much, otherwise they wouldn't flip out with her wanting to join the military, etc...
ReplyDeleteI wonder what her mom has up her sleeve. And I LOVE your family portraits and WOW on the custom gray, I love it! How do you get your photos into pictures in the game? Is that an easy process? I usually just have my sim paint them in game, but it'd be nice to have actual pictures.
Bernz, thank you! You'll find out what she's up to quite soon ;)
ReplyDeleteApple, there's risky woohoo in ACR, so I just use that.
maisie, oooh, but Mariah is a total coward, emotionally unstable, and quite prissy too, lol! If she was given an order to shoot down one of these ships, she'd probably want to compromise or talk about feelings first ;)
Keri has always been the stronger and bolder of the two. Though she's going to have to work on that backtalk!
The photos are just made with the in-game artist's camera, from the Uni EP. The pictures I posted there at the end are just regular screenshots I took while I was doing the photoshoot.
Yes, let's send Joel to talk to the aliens and his cute smile will make them change their minds about ever attacking this planet. LOL! I love how Madison always has some cute young man she's fantasizing about. Although it's probably a good thing that she's stopped thinking about her son-in-law in that way! ;)
ReplyDeleteI can understand why the rest of the family doesn't like Keri's plan, but if she feels she has to do this and really wants to do it, she needs a chance to prove to herself and everyone that she's stronger and smarter than they give her credit for.
I had wondered where your graying hairstyles came from! Thanks for letting us know, I might have to try making some myself. :) I've never liked how Sims are just suddenly completely silver overnight instead of gradually changing with age.
Shana, Joel could save the entire planet with a smile, and he doesn't even know it, lol! I love Madison, I hope she's Governor forever :)
ReplyDeleteOh, and about the hair, since when you recolor a hair in Bodyshop you get all the life-stages anyway, I also make the adult version of that same hair slightly grayer than normal too. So it ends up going in three phases. Let's see if I can find pics... adult, late adult, and then elder.
To be very specific, I usually do 90% opacity for the late adult hair, flatten the image, and then 85% opacity over the already lightened hair for the elder. I hope that makes sense, lol!
I'm amazed at Justin's strength in giving Keri his blessing for this whole military thing. I think it's the right thing to do, at least to avoid resentment down the road.
ReplyDeleteI worry that whatever Madison is doing might end up causing a rift between her and Keri, if Keri later finds out what happened. Still, I guess Madison has decided that's an acceptable risk, seeing she's possibly saving her daughter's life.
I know everyone is squeeing over Joel in the comments but I was swooning over Micah this update. The pic where he's sitting across from Madison at her desk? What a cutie!
You know I was looking for some greying hairstyles and wasn't very happy with what I found. I went into Body Shop wanting to add grey streaks to some of my hairs and abandoned it 5 seconds later when I realised I had no idea how to do that. I never thought about just making the whole thing slightly more grey. I *might* be able to manage something like that myself!
Laura - Your description for making the hairstyles makes sense to me! :) (I had to take a whole class on just Photoshop in college for my degree, so the layers and opacity settings are very familiar to me.) Thanks for the info!
ReplyDeleteI hope Keri doesn't go because there is always risk with war and what would happen to her husband and baby if she doesn't come back? But then again she wants to go and if she doesn't there will have to be a draft and that is bad.
ReplyDeleteDecisions... Decisions.
This entry makes me sad. I just wanna say, "Kerri, don't go!" But Justin is doing the right thing. I just hope she doesn't get hurt or killed.
ReplyDeleteAnd the family portraits-- awww! I just realized that's what I was missing from my sim homes. Thanks for the reminder. XD
Sullivan, I'm proud of Justin too. But they're a pretty strong couple, and as long as she comes back, I think he'll be okay. And agreed, I'm in a constant state of swoon over Micah ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd, *sigh* unfortunately, Keri has built up quite a history of conflict with one or both of her parents...
Shana, I'm glad it made sense :)
Monique, yes, it's been tough having to pick these volunteers, but I would also hate to have to send someone who didn't want to go of their own accord.
Lunar, yes, this one was sad to write - I think each of these war-related ones so far have made me cry, lol!
But just keep in mind, everyone, that 6 of the 7 of them will come back home.
Mariah and Keri's relationship remind me a lot of mine with my younger sister. I have said "Are you serious?" so many times I can't count it.
ReplyDeleteI have to see how Keri will work out in the military and by god I need to know what Madison asked Cabe
heredon, thanks! It's in the works :)
ReplyDeleteThis update was so sad! I feel for Keri, knowing why you want to do something, and no one else will understand.
ReplyDeleteThe house is so pretty, congratulations on building it yourself!
Keri is the only one that I don't want to die... and not just for her sake, but her child's. Growing up without a mother would be awful.
And the photo shoot was great, too!
the ending was the best part- Im dying to know what happened. It finished like a soap opera does on fridays... or a tv show on the season finale!
bbop, thanks! You know, I really do structure this a lot like a TV drama or soap opera, especially now that I'm splitting it up in segments. I think I've even referred to my rounds as being like "seasons" before. And you guys are going to love the "season finale" for this round :)
ReplyDeleteAnyway, you'll be seeing further news on this storyline very soon.
I'm doing quickie comments since I'm getting caught up.
ReplyDelete"I'm pretty sure it probably doesn't work that way."
Made me giggle!
Also, I love Keri. She's finally found something she's truly devoted to, but no one will support her. It might not be easy for everyone else, but if this is what she really wants, she needs to go for it. I loved the scene with her and Justin. Too sweet.
Mao, yay, glad you're back! :) I've felt the same way about Keri needing to do this, because anything less wouldn't be being true to herself.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe Madison is going behind Keri's back like that! >:( I mean, I understand the impulse, but it's not Madison's decision to make.
ReplyDeleteOf course, I suppose I could be completely wrong about what she's up to...
Luminessence, you probably have a good idea what she's up to. And yes, Keri is her own woman now, as much as Madison doesn't like it.
ReplyDelete