February 2082 - Cabe Deppiesse is 40, Ashlee is 42, Natalia is 12. (Charlie Roseland is 12, Chandler Price is 23, Orion Deppiesse is 48.) Last Update, June 2080.
"Oh my God," Hazel says. "What's wrong with your friend?"
"What, now he's just my friend?" Natalia says.
"He won't go out with me?"
"Not everybody wants to go out with you, Hazel."
"Sure they do," she says.
"No, I'm not gay!"
"What is it you don't like?" she says. "Wait, no, don't answer that, think about what you do like."
***
It's because he has a business management degree from LCU, he says. He's worth more than the average restaurant employee. And to make his point, he calls one morning and says, "I'm not coming in today, you don't pay me enough to feel like I'm really important."
"What?" Ashlee says, "Chandler, don't be a baby, just come in and we'll talk about it."
Ashlee loves this place, it's really a passion of hers. A selfless passion, it seems, since she's really only breaking even at this point.
Chandler says, "I have student loans to pay back, and electricity bills! I'd like to be able to shop somewhere other than Goodwill! I have a girlfriend I want to marry."
"How much do you want, Chandler?"
"$85 an hour."
"$85 and hour! For restaurant management! That's crazy!"
"That's an adequate living wage."
He says, "Study?"
She's thinking, Sheesh, kids these days, such entitlement!
"You'll get $75 an hour for now," she says. "And $85 after you master stuffed golden trout."
So Chandler managed to buy a quarter carat, and sat her right by the window so it would catch the light just enough to make it look big and sparkly!
***
He says, "Hey, Natty-patty, is your dad home yet?"
She says, "Don't you have your own dad?"
"Yeah, but my dad's just a teacher. Your dad comes home in a helicopter."
Charlie likes history class. And he likes that she'll actually listen to him talk about history class, though Natalia would probably listen to him talk about anything and smile like she does. He wonders if her cheeks hurt?
"What?!?" Natalia yells. "I didn't hear you!"
But today, Cabe excuses himself, as he has an important phone call to make to his brother, Orion. Though, he could probably just walk across the street if he wanted.
Natalia smiles. Cheese.
Maybe Cabe is feeling the primal desire to leave a little more of himself behind, maybe a son? Maybe Ashlee doesn't know if they'll get this chance again before she's really too old to try. Or maybe it's because she only has him for a little bit longer before he has to go. That was all he would tell her was that he might have to go soon, and it sounded serious. And how long would it be before he came back, if he came back at all, because sometimes they don't. It's a reality you have to live with as a military wife.
"It's Valentine's Day, isn't it?" Cabe says. "I'm sorry, I didn't buy anything. It just completely slipped my mind."
Ashlee is thinking she'd settle for a kiss. He is getting a little bit better at this romance business. And you know, you can't hold a grudge if your husband forgets Valentine's Day because he's trying to save the planet. You just can't.
Natalia says, "Okay."
"No," she says, and she's thinking, Oh my God, why is he asking?
"Fiona says she's kissed a bunch of people," he says.
"No she hasn't," Natalia says. "She's kissed, like two. Why, you want to kiss Fiona?"
"No!" he says.
"You want to kiss Hazel?"
He says, "No."
"Oh," she says, and she smiles. Cheese.
"Yeah," she says. "You probably forgot you had a home."
She wonders if she should say Happy Valentine's Day. It's not like they're going out, but you can say it to friends, right?
Orion says, "She started her next novel. You know, creative genius and all. She's not speaking to anyone right now."
First, there were the stories their father told them when they were young. The incredible stories they would grow up to doubt, of the abduction, the planet he was taken to, somewhere in the direction of the Cassiopeia constellation. Cabe has since looked for such a planet - it could be one of an infinite number of them, and they were too young to ask for any more details.
There is the logic they have worked out, that these aliens only abduct men to impregnate and return them completely unharmed, which would imply that they don't mean to interfere with us or our own reproduction, but perhaps do it out of some kind of necessity. Maybe it's the only way they can sustain their species.
And finally there is military intelligence, the fact that Orion is the only verified half-breed living on this planet. They've been looking, and there are no others. How do they explain that? Well, there are a LOT of planets in the universe, what are the chances that his particular race would come back here again? Maybe to spread them out increases their chance for survival?
Of course, most of what they're doing here isn't official duty. So what does Cabe do exactly, as the sitting Head of Defense in Lake County? Cabe has a lot of things on his mind lately. The world has not seen war for a very long time, not even in Cabe's own lifetime. So he looks out for all threats, whether from this planet, or outside of it. He's looking out for his brother, because sometimes the worst threats are the ones we create out of fear.
Orion looks through the telescope. "It's not a satellite," he says.
"No, it's not." Cabe says. "We're calling them scouts. They behave kind of like ants. We found one first, then there were two. Over a few weeks, now we've tracked twelve of them."
"Wow," Orion says. "What are you saying?"
Orion still hasn't said a word, but listens, wide-eyed as Cabe continues, "We're going to have to go public with this eventually, and things could get tough for you guys - I mean, you and the kids. Because people, when they find out, they won't know the difference, they won't know that these aren't your people we're fighting with. And we'll try to educate them, that there are so many different races out there, but you know how people can get, when they're scared or angry. But most people don't know, right? About where you come from?"
"People gossip," Orion says.
"Yes, they do," Cabe says.
"The way it looks," Cabe says. "Yes, we think so. We have to be preemptive at this point. Nobody knows this, Orion. Nobody outside of the highest level military and intelligence, and the information can't go public for a few months still. I think we're going to war."
"I don't know yet," Cabe says. "Nothing right now. Just, be careful."
***
notes: Cabe and Ashlee didn't get pregnant, by the way. They both rolled up the want for it, so I figured I'd let them try, but they're not going to go through any crazy business to get pregnant or anything. I might pop back in a couple months, (before Cabe leaves...), and let them try again though.
So... since Cabe is our head of defense in Lakeside Heights, I feel it fitting that he knows a little more than the other residents know, like next round's random events that I've already rolled. You'll find out more as the rest of Lakeside Heights finds out more ;)
And I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I've always imagined that my fictional town of Lakeside Heights lies along the shores of Lake Michigan somewhere. Just a random piece of trivia for you :)
Wow, this is what you meant by the innocent "I don't know what to do with these feelings" stage that you felt ACR totally butchered. I love it, so sweet and cute! I love sweetness and cuteness and kitties :P
ReplyDeleteApple, yes, this is what I was talking about :) I don't know if I'd call Charlie sweet though, lol. But maybe endearing in his own irritating way ;)
ReplyDeleteI loved the whole thing with Hazel, Charlie and Natalia at the beginning. Very cute and Hazel's so fun.
ReplyDeleteThis new conflict that Cabe and Orion are talking about certainly has the potential to stir things up a lot! Can't wait to read more.
haha, "cheese." One word repeated so fittingly. The whole thing was just too cute.
ReplyDeleteAnd wow! Oh my, I can't wait to see what is going on. But how in the world do you do this? As soon as I think up an idea you swoop in with a similar one. It's happened twice now with your prom and the skinny dipping. And now this. (My idea is similar, but not exactly like this.) XD
Since your entires come out first, I think it's clear that I am somehow riding your awesome brain waves. ;)
Sullivan, Hazel is going to be fun! :) And yes, things will be stirred! To say the least!
ReplyDeleteLunar, lol! Or maybe I'm hacking your brain and just writing them faster ;)
But funny enough, you just posted about your unlucky Amberle on fire, and guess what happens to my clumsy Stephanie in my next update... lol! I swear I shot the pics like three days ago! Maybe we're twins separated at birth or something ;)
I am still trying to catch up with older chapters, so will take a bit of time to know the characters better, but i am now all curious where this storyline is going and what's going to be happening next.very intriguing to say the least.
ReplyDeleteI come to a Lakeside Heights story expecting romance, ya know, but in RL I adore sci-fi so I ate this up.
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy the tween story too.
Speechless, hi and welcome! Have fun reading! There's a lot! :)
ReplyDeleteFrancesca, lol, what, you didn't think Charlie's noogie was romantic? ;)
Really though, I'm glad you thought the sci-fi was okay. I was nervous to write it, since I've never written sci-fi before. I don't think I'll go too deep into the sci-fi stuff, but since I have an alien family (and they're one of my favorites!), I guess it becomes a part of the reality they all live in :)
I really admired the way you wrote it in, moving from the in-game telescope activities and Cabe's position as General, to the logical progression of what they've worked out, and throwing in the ambiguous, but linked, ROS coming up. It came across as beleivable within the story, even though it seems to be a bit of a shift in the usual scope of the plot.
ReplyDeleteOh wow, interplanetary war? Non-benign aliens? I'm looking forward to your update to this.
ReplyDeletesimstate, like I said, I've never written sci-fi before, so I'll probably butcher it, lol! But I'm going to try. I'll explain why I chose an alien war when I announce the ROSs in more detail at the start of the next round.
ReplyDeleteBut really, more than writing about the actual war, I'd like to focus on what the war will mean to the people/families left behind, and how it affects them here at home. So basically the sci-fi war will be a backdrop.
We'll see. I'm just winging it, lol! :)
So I'm a loser and missed this update. I like the way you added aliens to the hood and have building upon it. I'm too chicken to try it myself, although I have been thinking of pulling a 'Southern Vampires Series' and have the freaks come out. LOL
ReplyDeleteWildchild, I actually never had any intentions of playing any aliens in my game, but I kind of got Orion whether I wanted him or not, lol! And now I'm very glad, because his family is one of my absolute favorites! I've never had another abduction again since that one though. Weird, huh? Some people seem to get them all the time :)
ReplyDeleteI'm very curious to see where this plot is going! :)
ReplyDeleteLuminessence, I hope you enjoy it! It's going to be a long-lasting one!
ReplyDelete