Monday, March 22, 2010

silly red sheet, part 2

September 2083 - Aurora Miguel and Adrian Jackson are 51. (Beau Jackson and April Hutchins are 20, Summer Phoenix is 19.)

* soundtrack: "Superman," by Five for Fighting. *



Summer is visiting over at Beau and April's apartment, one afternoon in September. She sits in the corner armchair, slumped deep and sulking. Like the rest of them, she also just heard that Tyler is shipping out. Unlike the rest of them, she learned this information second-hand through Beau.

"You could have been there," Beau says.

"No, I don't think your mom wanted me there," Summer says.

"She's not really mad at you."

Summer shrugs her shoulders. "How long did he say he was going for?"

"About four months."

"That's a long time."

"He'll probably call you," Beau says. "He said he'd try."

"He'd better," she says.


April lowers herself softly to the floor, and says as casually as commenting on the weather, "Oh, Tyler? It's kind of easy to forget he's gone sometimes."

"No it isn't," Summer says. "It's not easy to forget."

Beau winces at her. It's never easy to forget. His brother has been at his side for the past twenty years and he feels like he has a missing limb. He feels phantom twin brother syndrome, constantly speaking out loud, or turning behind him, to find and acknowledge the brother that isn't there anymore.

"Geeze, guys, that's not what I meant, of course I didn't forget him. I just meant, sometimes, it's like he's at class or something."

Summer scowls at her.


Summer gets up to use the bathroom, storming through the room in her usual cloud of angst. Beau feels April settle into the space beside him, but he doesn't turn to her, pulling off his own angst as well as a child throwing a tantrum.

"Like he's coming back any minute," April adds. Summer keeps walking.


"That wasn't what I meant," she says.

"Hmph," Beau says.

It's not like she'd notice Tyler was gone, coming in at all hours of the night, with whatever guy she's dating this week. He sees her leave for work every evening, and this place where she works is like a portal to another dimension. She leaves a bright and cheerful college girl, and comes home wrecked, drunk, her eyes dark and deadened, rarely alone. She takes them up to her room, her bed pounding the floorboards as Beau tries to sleep in the room beneath her. He's rarely able to sleep through it. He hears her visitors leave. He hears her start the shower, and stand in it silently for half an hour.

The next morning, she wakes up to drink the coffee he's made, and looks him in the eyes like there's nothing wrong.

They got this apartment together, but in the past few months, they're hardly talking anymore. She annoys Evie to the point Evie hardly comes around anymore unless she knows April will be out. Evie annoys April in return, with their whole relationship thing. What can he say? He's a simple kind of guy, and he likes having a girlfriend, steady company, no drama, no games. It's not like April ever wanted to be his girlfriend instead.


But he'll give her one thing; she probably didn't mean it. How could she mean harm by something when she never gives anything a moment of thought?

"I know you didn't mean it," he says.

***


Beau is managing their family's arcade finally, though it took the longest time before his dad would trust him alone with it. This is different than closing up at the end of the night, like he and Tyler would do back in high school. This is managing the employees, balancing some of the books, ordering stock, and doing it all on his own. For the longest time, Adrian would stop in and claim he just wanted to check out the new games, as if they needed checking on, as if they didn't have most of the newest games at home already, and instead sneak back into the office to check that the inventories were stocked, or that the deposits were made. They were.

But Adrian is getting older. He can feel himself losing touch with the current youth generation. He can see the way Beau is still in touch with that child at heart. He still knows the hottest new video games, the trendiest new flavors of soda. He can relate to these kids in a way Adrian can't anymore. One of them even called him "grandpa" once.


So Beau runs the arcade most nights on his own now. He's great at it, with his natural business instinct - he doesn't need to go to class to learn this stuff! He could teach a class on this stuff!

He knows he should go to class though, he'd just rather not most of the time.


He misses April running the cash register around here, and not just because he hates that job she's working now, but because they used to have so much fun together. Now they've hired a kid named Blair to run the register, and he's about a thousand percent more uptight than April ever was.

Or maybe Beau is still learning the kinds of things you can and can't say to employees - or at least employees that aren't April.


Like geeze, who doesn't like a good ventrilo-fart?


Blair doesn't.

"Man, it was a joke," Beau says. "You don't have to cry. You're not going to quit, are you? You want some free pop? Some free game tokens? I'll show you how to get to that secret level in SSX3."


So when April wants to know, when did he get so old and stuffy? When did he get so boring? Beau would like to boldly proclaim that he's not! He's the furthest thing from stiff and boring. He's still just as much fun as he ever was.

And when his mom gets mad about those puddles of water they leave all over from their water balloon fights, he'd like to say, who does she think he gets it from?


When Beau comes to visit, before or after checking into the arcade, he often finds his dad out behind the garage tending to his plants. It's always been a small but lucrative hobby of his, not that his family needed any extra money. Between his parents, they've always had plenty. It's shocking even, to realize how much things cost in the real world.

"I can't believe how much a deposit on an apartment is," Beau says.

"Is that right?"

"Yeah, I'm kind of out of money for the semester. I paid for April's half too."


"Is she going to pay you back?"

"I didn't ask her to," Beau says.

"Money doesn't grow on trees, kiddo," Adrian says. "Or well, I guess by proxy it kind of does. Hey, you want me to teach you how to grow?"

"No," Beau says. "I don't think we can have those on campus... or anywhere."

"Nonsense," Adrian says. "I've been growing them fifteen years and I never got in trouble. It's all good now though, the back pain, I got a medical card."

"That's good, Dad," Beau says. "I mean, about the medical card."


Beau's parents have never denied him a cent when he asked for it, and before they sit down to smoke up, Adrian has transferred a quick ten-grand into Beau's bank account.

In the space where Tyler's old soccer net used to be, they've erected a canopy where they can sit with their hookah and puff a little and let all their worries fall away. Except that their worries never really fall very far. Maybe this yard is haunted by those old soccer practices, because when they're laughing, all they can do is wonder if Tyler would have thought it was funny, or what would he have said in return?

It's never easy to forget, especially when you take the time to notice that his memory has been nuanced into every place and person he left behind.


"She really makes me mad sometimes," Beau says. "I mean, April. She's just so vacant sometimes."

"Well, you've lived with your mother," Adrian says. "The observant ones are no picnic either. Hey, why don't you invite one of your girlfriends over for dinner tonight?"

"I only have one girlfriend," Beau says.

"Oh, that's right," Adrian says. "Which one is it again?"


*** continued ***


(footnotes: part one // April's job )

notes: so maybe I like this family, or something, because I just kept writing and writing for them, and before I knew it, it had turned into a three-parter.

(Again, remember that I don't mean for you to be able to infer very much from these stories about which one of the troops isn't coming home. We're just exploring the lives of the people left behind, from all angles.)

I SO want someone to make me a "money tree plant" default replacement, to look like, well, you know ;)

And Aurora really was pissed at Beau over those water balloon puddles, lol!

16 comments:

  1. It is surprising there isn't a default replacement like that already. And isn't it against the law in Lakeside Heights to have those?!? He's lucky he hasn't been caught.

    Hearing about April through Beau's eyes made me deeply sad for her. What will become of her? (Rhetorical.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francesca, I know, it seems a logical conclusion to me, money tree plant... lol!

    Medical marijuana is legal in Michigan even now, but in 2083, I would see it largely decriminalized across the board, but maybe still fined for not having a medical card or license? As for LH rules, there is a $1000 fine for not having a medical card, but no jail time.

    April = a sad girl :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Beau! I can relate to him because I have a twin, and I don't know what I would do if she decided to join the army and go to war. It's really hard to be separated from your twin; even though we've been apart since we went to college, I still sometimes think of her as my phantom limb. But being apart from your twin can also be good because it can let you be yourself instead of just being defined by another person. Hopefully it'll be that way for Beau, and hopefully Tyler will be home safely soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've wrote for Tyler's family really well, and the way they feel is exactly how they would feel in real life. It's really well done. I can't wait to see how the Beau/April thing progresses too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love April. I alternately want to hug her and shake some sense into her (out of love!). She's so broken but she's so personable that you kind of want everything to work out for her anyway, even though it might not.

    I, for one, am glad this turned into a three-parter, because it's been very interesting watching how the whole family reacts to Tyler shipping out. Without blabbing on too much about myself, I'm not a twin but I think I can at least partly understand that feeling of someone else being a part of you and what that must be like when that person isn't there.

    "I SO want someone to make me a "money tree plant" default replacement, to look like, well, you know ;)"

    That is such an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I think if I were writing the war ROS, I wouldn't roll who dies, until the point that it was going to happen. That's probably the only way I could write all the families' fears authentically, without accidentally giving away which one it would be.

    I'm curious about April, from the game point of view. I had an April Hutchins in my game, too, and I'm wondering if she was the same sim - its hard to tell with different default skins (I had no cc at the time), and you may have given her a makeover... I'll have to see if I can find a decent picture of her for comparison.

    My April came into the game as a uni townie with red hair... and she was a real train-wreck of a personality, too. 40+ sim years later, my hood is still feeling her impact in some ways :). It was actually through the way her story played out, that I realized the potential of the game for in-depth characters and more complex storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, that's a wonderful way to look at this experience. I think Beau (and probably Summer too) will learn a lot about themselves that they might not have learned otherwise, while Tyler is gone.

    Shake, thank you! I'm always very glad to hear it feels authentic!

    Stay tuned for a lot more from Beau and April soon ;)

    Carla, hug and shake, lol! Me too ;)

    I'm glad you guys are enjoying my Jackson family as much as I am.

    And yes, you know, since they went as far as to give us a hookah, lol!

    Blackcat, hmmm, does that mean you think you know who my person is??? ;)

    I am the kind of writer who likes to know what's ahead, and I *think* I've done a decent job of concealing it. Hell, I rarely even write a story straight from beginning to end. I've already written the ending for this war (and it's good!), so I'm glad I have the space to have it this well plotted. If I'd decided to roll the Sim right there at the end, I'd never be able to have it all so tied together as I do.

    My April was a default downtownie teen. You can actually see pretty much how she came into my game when Beau first met her, same clothes and everything. I doubt I gave her that mohawk, lol, so she must have come with that too. She was a romance Sim by default, and I kept her personality too, I think, which is a Libra. I gave my April the pleasure secondary though, which probably didn't work much for her benefit, lol!

    I love that, how one single character can leave such a long-lasting impact on a story. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, but I think I might know who it isn't... or one of them :)

    I think you accidentally dropped a spoiler one time... not in the actual story, but in a discussion... or maybe you were just deliberately throwing readers off the track :) If that's the case you'll know what I'm talking about, but it not then, yeah, you dropped a spoiler.

    Having said that, one of the reasons I wouldn't want to know, is that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to conceal who it is as well as you have.

    The Aprils must be just a coincidence of names... as I said, mine was a red-haired uni townie, and she was family aspiration... although I think she was a closet pleasure sim, because I've never seen any sim quite so bad at what their aspiration would imply they should do well! Probably that's why her kids are still getting over it 40 sim-years later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blackcat, Hmmm, I think I might know what you're talking about... and if it is what I'm thinking of, I think that was a kind of deliberately slipped spoiler ;)

    Oh wow, will we get to hear about this women when you start your story? She sounds fascinating! She actually sounds like she took a toll like my Kent Deppiesse - who was not a family Sim (was knowledge, I think), but totally screwed up on his kids anyway, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol at 'deliberately slipped spoiler'... got to check back on this when the war story is all done, to see if we WERE talking about the same thing! :)

    Some of April's family will have a big part in the early part of my blog... when I mentioned wanting to use an old backup of my hood to reenact some things for memory photos, I was thinking about April's story... although I probably won't do that until I've written a bit about the characters as they are now.

    The funny thing is, they were living in slightly damaged but happy obscurity as non-playables, until Samantha came and stirred things up, and now they're at the centre of the story again :) .

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be a nice addition to make money plants look like the number one plant in Haight-Ashbury.

    April makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. I saw that everytime because I can't help it. She's quite the deep Sim.

    And I Lol'd at Adrian and Beau smoking up. What does Aurora think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blackcat, lol, Samantha has a way of digging up trouble, doesn't she? :)

    Victoria, April is a complicated girl.

    And for Aurora, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing she'd be into herself, but maybe it might help her relax a little, lol! Adrian is who he's always been, and as long as Beau keeps up that solid C-average, I don't think she cares about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG- the second he started talking about his medical card, I seriously laughed out loud. That's too funny! Money growing on trees. I will have to remember that one day as a euphemism for... you know, lol. "They found a lot of money trees in someone's basement." "They're burning a whole crop of money trees today."

    Oh April. I'm with Carla. My first reaction is always to hug her, but that quickly moves into me shaking her by the shoulders. It was difficult to hear about her through Beau's eyes. I mean, it's usually difficult to hear about her even through her own eyes because you know there's a dissonance between the way she sees herself and these relations and the way these relations actually are. Still, I sort of wish Beau could do something.


    I'm glad this has become a three parter too. This whole family is like a crossroad for a couple of favorite story lines after all-- Tyler, Tyler and Summer, Beau, April.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lunar, lol! Glad to amuse! :)

    This whole family has always been one of my favorites. Each one of them (all the girlfriends included, lol!) is so fleshed out in my head as a character, and the ways they interact are always so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I might know who it isn't... or one of them :)

    I think you accidentally dropped a spoiler one time... not in the actual story, but in a discussion... or maybe you were just deliberately throwing readers off the track :) If that's the case you'll know what I'm talking about, but it not then, yeah, you dropped a spoiler.


    I think I may have seen the same thing... now I'm curious to know if it's the same as that deliberately slipped spoiler!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luminessence, I love it! You guys are such very careful readers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete