Wednesday, January 13, 2010

under the skin, part 2

August 2083 - Maxwell Shaw 37, Valerie is 42, Angelo is 13, Devon is 7. (Cecilia Dawson is 14, Cameron Gibson is 32, Bella Bradshaw is 27.)

* soundtrack: "Trouble," by Coldplay. Warnings: vulgarity? lol! You know, it is Max ;) *


Maxwell Shaw starts the day like any other man, though maybe a bit later. Valerie looks over him as she pulls back their sheets. He's almost peaceful, almost calm, with the covers pulled up to his chin and snoring lightly. But she knows better. He isn't peaceful in the least. Especially not lately. He confided in her about it, because this is about her now too. In truth, it always was. The closer he gets to the top, the more people there are just waiting to knock him back down.


The power must be going to his head a little, because sometimes it does feel good. The clubs are stable, and his work requires nothing more than hooking up the right people. He has time to actually be home in the days, which surprises his children greatly. They startle every time he enters a room, not expecting him, their natural habitat put off balance. They stiffen like small animals with some strange mixture of fear and delight.

Otherwise, he almost feels like an ordinary man, having an ordinary morning. He showers and comes downstairs for breakfast. He even drinks a cup of coffee while reading his newspaper.


On the weekends, he cuts his own lawn, just because he can. And he even has time, in the few spare minutes before he strolls out to work, to scold his children as if he were any regular suburban dad. "Hey," he shouts. "Take it easy on your sister."


The success came up so fast. He doesn't feel prepared for it. But in a line of work like this, you don't decline success. You don't shirk the responsibility off to someone else. Either you step up to the plate and perform, or you don't, and if you don't, it's not going to be pretty.

And with all this sudden free time, he only has more time to feel anxious. He has the time to step back and look at his life, everything he has, and worry that it might all come crashing down. There's always someone younger, smarter, or hungrier, ready to knock him off his feet for his place. And he has so much to lose. For once in his life, he feels like he's finally headed somewhere. For once in his life, he's almost somebody. And all his life, he's just been trying to become somebody.


But how he got here is purely circumstantial, being in the right place at the right time, fucking the right person maybe. Somehow he's managed to position himself quite well in Lake City's underground. Max has never been a very skilled man, and he's certainly never been very smart (though he does know better than to screw around with this bartender, this time), but his clubs, sleazy yet perfectly legal, have become the ideal arrangement for cleaning up some dirty money. His clubs are haven to the shadiest people in the city already, so nobody notices a damn thing.


Nobody notices that his bosses have set up in one of his back rooms to host some illegal materials. They bring in a sorry-looking crew to maintain things, but Max has good word that these people can be trusted.


Still, he has James keep watch on them, to see them in and out of the place with as little trouble as possible.


He doesn't trust his own judgment of people most times, and trust is something Max is thinking a lot about lately. He knows he's been foolish in the past, picked the wrong one to mess around with, someone who seemed unsuspecting but turned into trouble.

After Ana, he's learning to be more discreet. Ana was a little too sensitive, and she had to go. No, he didn't make her "disappear" or anything. But he did send her away, scared shitless so she wouldn't even think about coming back. And then he bought her a nice little cottage out in Bluewater.

He's more careful now, in work and in play. And that's the thing about Dana, or Heather, or April even, he's narrowing down his encounters to a list of trusted lady friends.


Maxwell tries not to make a habit of screwing his friends girls - really, honest, he does! So he felt bad about the whole thing with James, but who's going to turn down Dana Gilmore if she's asking for it? Really?

So maybe that means James isn't a friend. And in this line of work, you have to know a true friend when you see one. And Dana, she's a good friend. Dana is one of those slinky lounge singers with a fetish for the bad boys it seems. But you'd never know she was a singer, because she fucks like a whore, and she keeps secrets like one too.

***


So Max is home more often, and his children aren't used to such business going on in this house, at normal hours of the day. Or going on at all, between their parents, who seem to be making up for lost time or something. Shouldn't they wait until night time, after bed, and lock the door?


But his parents aren't the only ones getting action around here. Angelo is dating Cecilia Dawson because she's almost as gorgeous as that sweet thing Melissa Fortney. Or at least that's why he started dating her anyway. But it turns out, she's really nice, and pretty in her own way, and well, the fact that she'll go out with him at all is a plus in itself.


She's even nice to his sister.


She's really smart, and rich, and a year older, going into eighth grade, and already talking about which college she'll get into when she grows up. He didn't know all of this until they already started dating, because stuffy girls aren't really his type, if you could say he had a type. He might have a type some day, but for now, his type has warm lips and soft breasts, and thus Cecilia passes!

He listens to her talk about school and her future, for as long as he thinks is appropriate before they can move on to the kissing stuff.


Because she does let him kiss her, and though she won't let him take off her bra (or even her tank top, the jacket only if he's lucky), he does manage to brush by her chest "by accident" sometimes, and sometimes she doesn't bother moving his hand away. This is good, he thinks.


Except that she told him she loves him, which freaks him the hell out! They only just met this summer. But he says it back, because he figures that's what you're supposed to do. He figures this for good reason. You see, not only does he love that fine thing Melissa Fortney, but they're actually something of friends. They email to each other, and chat on the phone, so he figures he's been granted a special glimpse into the female mind. And the most pertinent information is this: that Melissa's boyfriend told her he loved her too, and now she's thinking about doing all kinds of stuff with him.

But yes, there will be girls, and his future as well. After all, he still needs to decide whether he'll end up being a sports star, or a movie star, or a rock star. There's really no one who gets what it's like to be Angelo Shaw quite like his baby sister. Because it's weird being a kid in this family, with all the secrets their parents have.


He doesn't mind hanging out with her sometimes, even if she just wants to play dolls. And this is what they're doing one night, when Angelo doesn't even hear his father come into the room. He didn't hear him at all, actually, and didn't even see him until Devon looked up to notice. "Hey, Dad," she says, largely unmoved.


But Angelo bolts up from the floor. "Oh, I wasn't playing with dolls," he says.

He doesn't know how this happens - he isn't a meek boy, but his father is something else entirely. He's seen grown men cower under his father, who isn't even an exceptionally tall man, and so he feels inclined to cower as well. He twists his fingers around themselves. "I was just showing her how to turn them into zombies," he says.


But his father isn't mad, and only smiles a mangled smile. "Hey, a girl's gotta know about zombies," he says. "You kids were just quiet, I wondered what you were up to."

Instead of going then, he just looks between them, his eyes darting from Angelo's face back to Devon's, again and again, finally resting there on Angelo. "This is good," he continues. "The two of you, spending time together. You never know how much..."


"You look after your baby sister," his father says, the friendly tone turning colder. "You never let anything happen to her, it's your job. Nothing gets in the way of your family, you hear that? Nothing."

There is anger in his face, or sadness - Angelo can't quite distinguish between the two, but he quiets under it just the same. "I know, Dad," he whispers.

Angelo is comforted when his father finally looks down to Devon.


He doesn't explain anything more, but only bends down to hug her. When he stands again, he pats Angelo's shoulder, firm yet affectionate, before he goes.


"That was weird," Devon says.

"Yeah," Angelo says. "It kind of was."


Maybe the weirdness carries on through dinner, or maybe this is just how their father is going to be from now on. He says, while gazing at their mother like he hasn't seen her in years, "Angelo, you hold down the castle tonight, I'm taking your mother out."

***


When he's out of the dark corners and the dimly lit underbelly of this town, and into the bright lights of the public world, there's only ever one woman on Maxwell's arm.

Valerie Shaw, his wife, his queen.

They've been married for fourteen years now, and Max wouldn't change a thing except to give her more, and faster. To do what he's done, but better. To do it seamlessly so he could be sure it might hold.


And dare she say she's even happy? Really happy? She wasn't always happy, but this is finally working. All those years of promises are finally becoming something tangible. She hasn't spent this much time with her husband since they first met. He promised her, one day, things would be better. He had ideas and plans. She never cared about the money. What she cared about was having him, and their children, and having a close circle of friends that they could trust not to be cops or politicians. It all sounds so absolutely ordinary, but it's worth more to her than anything he could buy.


But happy as they are, and happy as two people can be after nearly fifteen years of marriage, it's hard to beat a pair of love-birds who happen to be getting married next week.


"It's very normal," Valerie says. "I'm sure they'll get tired of it soon enough."





"I think it's sweet," Valerie says, as Bella and Cameron get up to go share a dance together. "They're like high school sweethearts or something, but older, and with two kids."



"Pretty, pretty Bell," Cameron says, not very secretly, while gazing into her eyes like he was lost there.


That's the last straw, Max decides, and shouts, "Hey! Earth to Cameron!"

Valerie says, "Maybe we'll have our friends back after the wedding?"


The two of them are finally pried apart so that Valerie and Bella can discuss last-minute wedding plans. Cameron is laughing off a case of the last-minute wedding jitters.


"What if she doesn't like me for much longer? Or what if I'm bad at it? Or even, I hear there's this yoga dude all the married ladies are getting hot for. Do you think she'd like him?"

"Don't worry," Max says. "I love being married. You guys are gonna love it."


"Ah, I know just what you need," Max says. "I'm gonna throw you the best damn stag night anyone ever had!"

Valerie's ears perk as she overhears this. Max throwing a stag night could only be trouble...


*******



(footnotes: last update, the love shack // the club bunny stalker // Angelo loves Melissa // Max's little sister)

notes: sorry about the infinite Bella and Cameron spam, lol! They were just being too cute! And sorry about the wait. This was one of those instances where I needed to get part way through part 3 before I felt secure about what happens in part 2. And geeze, this sorry, mangy thing just didn't want to be written, lol!

So this story is inspired by Max being promoted twice, in one play session, all as a result of his connections. He's working far beyond his skill level, which I figure must be pretty unsettling for him. And I swear Max must be inhabiting my head sometimes, because otherwise I just don't know how such filthy, filthy thoughts get in there, lol! It's not me, it's him! ;)

Angelo decided to play dolls with his sister all by himself, by the way. He'd loathe to know I told you all that, lol! I hope that scene wasn't too cryptic. I know they have no clue what that was about, but Max isn't one to talk about his feelings either, or even admit that he has feelings at all. I'll clarify if nobody gets it, lol!

I have some more gameplay notes and outtakes, but I'm compiling all the extras from this series of stories into one big fat post after they're finished, so stay tuned ;)

16 comments:

  1. The whole scene with Max finding Angelo playing with his sister was cute and emotional. There is definitely something about the way you write Max. I love that even though he's clearly got some issues, he really does love his wife and his kids.

    Right away I thought of Anjali soon as he started on Angelo about protecting his sister. It's easy to forget that she was Max's sister because it clearly isn't something that he thinks about everyday, but it is something that also clearly had an affect on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, talk about emotional. About half way through I was wondering if James was going to knock Max off :(

    Ah, Angelo, you shouldn't be saying silly things if you don't mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess, I missed the subtext in the dollhouse scene at first, but the link at the bottom jogged my memory. It's interesting to see the previous generation affecting Max and his kids now... Please, never let anything happen to Devon!

    Very much looking forward to part 3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't live like Max and not have serious regrets and fears for your children, I would think. The conflict he lives with comes out really clearly.

    And I love the Bella and Cameron spam. No matter how long I play the Sims, I don't seem to tire of that stuff in my game or in stories. That was one thing I liked about Sims 3--your sim can be a hopeless romantic and has lots of options like gaze into eyes, etc.

    Angelo might turn out colder than his dad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lunar, thank you! I'm glad you got that! :) I think he's tried very hard not to think about it, but it gets triggered by something every now and then and bubbles right back up for him.

    I love writing Max. He has more layers to him than even I've discovered yet.

    Apple, thanks! James has a few reasons not to like Max, lol!

    Claire, thanks! I figured it would be pretty cryptic at first glance. But still I felt compelled to write it from Angelo's POV anyway. I think maybe, like Max, I didn't feel comfortable getting that intimate with his feelings, lol!

    And I can't remember if you've commented here before, so if not, then hi! And welcome! Glad to have you reading :)

    Francesca, thanks, and yes, very true! I bet these are things he didn't really think about when he was young and just getting started.

    I'm very eager to see how Angelo's life will shape him and what kind of a man he'll become. He already has a lot of very interesting influences ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scene with Angelo and his sister was too cute! Zombies, Angelo, really? LOL! Loved that even Devon could see their dad's interruption was a bit odd.

    Reading about Max always reminds me a bit of the Sopranos. Not so much for the criminal elements, actually, but for the relationship dynamics. It's something to watch a man habitually cheat on his wife, think its fine, and her still be "his queen". It's weird and warped, but watching/reading it is like a train wreck. You can't look away!

    Bella and Cameron! Haha, they are still so over-the-top, but it's cute. I loved the picture with Max waving his arms!

    I'm really curious as to where this will go. There's never a "good" place to be in the criminal underworld and the quicker/faster you go up, the harder you fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mao, lol, I have to say, I used to watch the Sopranos for the first couple seasons, and I'm sure that's inspired Max a bit. That, and probably Weeds too, lol! I love me some Weeds! :)

    But I just kind of skirt around the crime details though, because sheesh, like I know a damn thing about crime, lol! I'd do more research for a real story, but this is just for fun ;)

    But anyway, I also kind of see it being a power thing though, the cheating. If you think about it in light of pretty much any king of ancient times, no matter what time period or culture, they always seemed drawn to have a sort of harem around them. So with power comes the potential abuse of that power. Even powerful men these days, for some reason, seem more inclined to cheat than the average Joe.

    Or I wonder, is it the actual power that influences their cheating, or is it just the kind of man who's drawn to want and achieve power in the first place?

    It's kind of fascinating, in a twisted way, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Max in that even though he's tough and hardened, he also has a vulnerable side that he doesn't show too often. The part where he tells Angelo to always look out for Devon made me tear up a bit because it seems like maybe Max feels he didn't do a good job of protecting his own sister, even though it wasn't something he could have prevented.

    But oh, man, Max throwing a bachelor party? Something tells me that's going to be one crazy night, LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Psh, we all love Bella and Cameron pics, you can keep them coming :) Max's character seems so flitty, you know, he says family first, but then he has affairs, he's proud to be married to his wife, but he has mistresses! I love it though :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot that Anjali was Max's sister! OK, I get it now and I like that scene even more. Something like that has got to make a huge impression on your character somehow, no matter who you are.

    I really like that Max is a criminal (although apparently out of his depth right now!) and that he cheats on his wife, yet he still clearly loves his family and treats them well. He's definitely a layered character and I feel like I learn more about him every time there's a Max update.

    I always love a bit of Sim spam, especially when it's a couple being all adorable and sweet like Bella and Cameron.

    Oh my God, a bachelor party thrown by Max! I cannot even imagine but I can't wait to see it.

    Is Angelo named after Anjali? I just realised their names are quite similar and wondered if it was intentional.

    And speaking of Angelo...gosh, isn't he going to be trouble? I think you mentioned on my blog that he had the 30 woohoos LTW, right? I can actually imagine that kid getting there one day! That grin you caught him doing on the couch just says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shana, I like him for that reason too. I think most people probably can't relate to a bad guy who's all bad inside and out with no motivation for it.

    Oooh, and about why he might feel guilty, see the reply to Carla below. I just kind of worked it out while writing this comment, lol!

    Tessa, you're right, Max's brain doesn't work the same way as most. But then, I think to be a criminal at all, you probably have to be seeing the world through your own set of rules in the first place ;)

    Carla, yes, that was a very impressionable time in his life, I think. He was only nineteen then, his first year being away at college, and that was also the year Clarice dumped him for Blake, lol! It was bad time all around!

    And man, just working through these comments and sometimes I realize even more. He had just gone away to college the year she died. So maybe we know why he might feel so guilty about not being there to take care of her, even if there was nothing he could have changed anyway :(

    Yes, I did have them name Angelo after Anjali. I might have even mentioned that at one point :)

    But anyway, you know what's funny, when Bella and Cameron first hooked up, I didn't even think any of you guys liked them together. Not that Bella would have cared what anyone thought anyway though, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was great to see Max outside of the club and in the family environment, although can I just say, like father, like son? Angelo I am a bit concerned about because he seems to be copying what other people are doing rather than thinking for himself; the cowering before Max, saying I love you to his girlfriend because his friend's boyfriend said it to her.

    I share Valerie's concern about Max throwing Cameron a stag party. Who knows what wild things that man will think up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this one was worth the wait! (and the wait really wasn't that bad, so don't worry! I can tell you put in a lot of effort!)

    I like Valerie's makeover. It suits her well. and Max's too. His red shirt with the fire on it is almost like a warning sign saying, DANGER!

    Devon and Angelo playing with the doll house was very cute, and written really well. I'll say it a thousand times: when you get your novel published, im buying five copies, lol!

    I like Dana Gilmore, but man, I had no idea she was such a whore!

    Ahem... moving on... Bella + Cameron = adorable!

    And did anyone notice in the second picture of when Max and Valerie go out (when they are cuddling) that Valerie has the same dent / scar on her forehead that Laura said Angelo has? But I've never seen it on any of your other sims, so how cool would that be if it was genetic or something?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carnaxa, yes, like father like son! Angelo admires his father greatly, even if maybe he shouldn't in some cases.

    He does copy quite a bit, but then, he's just thirteen too, and still trying to make sense of what it means to be a man, or a boyfriend, or a brother. I think maybe he'll find his own stride as he gets older.

    Billy, lol, I don't think James knew about Dana either, but then, isn't that always the case? lol!

    Yes, I did notice since changing Valerie's hairstyle that she has that same dent on her forehead. So it must be genetic. Angelo does get most of his features from her, I think. I'd never noticed it before now either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post made me see Maxwell in a whole new light. He isn't as much as this pervert guy who owneed barely legal bars. He seemed human like if I lived in suburbia I would see him walking down my street.

    Devon and Angelo are a really cute brother sister pair. Angelo is going to be overprotective of her a bet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Victoria, Max has his moments :) Devon and Angelo have always been adorable! Were you reading back when they were little? So super-cute!

    ReplyDelete