Saturday, January 2, 2010

dig your grave

August 2083 - Fiona McCullough is 16, Robbie is 13, Liza Hathe is 15.

* soundtrack: "Gold Dust Woman," by Fleetwood Mac *


If you think they don't have powers, these regular kids in the regular world, you'd be wrong.

Everyone has powers. Like her brother, with that stupid dopey smile of his. It's a power, and it certainly gets the girls all smitten. Fiona has power too, lots of it. She has her breasts for example, which are quite powerful. Maybe not powerful enough to win over Charlie Roseland, but that's okay. That isn't all Fiona has in her arsenal. That isn't even that start of it, if you want to know the truth.

Fiona has her brain. And Fiona has the world of knowledge available to her, all the books in the library, all the words on every website ever written. Fiona has some very interesting information, a strange-looking, old and worn book she found in the back shelves of some little book store. You can learn a lot of things in books, and Fiona is onto something. She'll get back at Charlie Roseland. She doesn't know how yet, and she doesn't know when, but she's learning things, very interesting things.

Curse him all to hell, for choosing dorky, chubby Natty over her! She'd burn him, push him straight into that fire. But that would be too easy, too quick. Sure, he might squirm a little, but that's not enough. She doesn't just want to make him cry, she wants to make him pay. And it's only a matter of time - sooner or later, she's going to figure out how.


But first, she'd prefer that her own dopey brother didn't fall into the fire himself.

"Don't stand so close, dumb-ass," she says. "You're gonna burn your stupid head off."


"I wasn't going to burn my head," he says.

"And if he did," Liza adds, "I totally would have pushed him into the lake."


"I just don't get it," Fiona says. "We come from some of the most brilliant and devious minds in the country. Mom must have dropped you on your head as a baby. Did you know our grandparents were criminals?"

"Did mom tell you that?"

"No, I read it in a book, you should try it some time!"


"I read books," he says.

"Yeah, comics don't count. And neither does that lingerie magazine you keep under your pillow."

"Eeew," Liza says, walking away.


"You should be helping me! You're supposed to be my devious sidekick! You're barely fit to be a Deppiesse!"

He grows bored of her wild ideas, her passionate scheming. "Why can't you just be normal?" he says. "None of us are devious but you."


He goes to sit next to Liza and Fiona wanders away on her own.

It peeves her, her little brother and her only friend, practically in love or something. Because where does that leave her but pushed to the side?


She doesn't get very far when she's stopped. She isn't sure what she's seeing, but there's a strange white flash across the sky. It does more than just stun her, it fills her with awe.


When it's gone, she runs back to them.

"Whoa, guys, did you see that?"

They didn't see anything, all laughing and stealing goofy glances at each other. Curse them too! Curse everybody!


But the flashes begin again, and keep coming, streaming down in beams. They all see them this time. "What the hell," Fiona says. "Tell me you're seeing it this time!"

"Oh, hey, cool, a meteor shower," Liza says. "I didn't know that was happening tonight. Did you ever see one before?"

"I never saw one," Robbie says.

"Not that," Fiona says. "The woman!"

"She's weird," Liza says. "I dare you to go prank her."


Fiona isn't sure there will be any pranking tonight, though the idea does send shivers of joy down her spine. But regardless, she feels herself drawn to this woman. Not like she has a choice even, but like on some level she knows this woman is here to talk to her.


"It's not very nice, what you're about to do," the woman says.

"The prank? How did you know?"

"I don't mean the prank. And I know because your aura is ugly."

"Ugly?" Fiona takes a step back. "Nothing about me is ugly. Who are you?"

"My name is Ginger, but that doesn't matter."

"Why are you here?"


"I'm here to tell you something," Ginger says. "I know what you're doing, and I think you need some guidance."

"And let me guess, you want to give it to me?"

"There's something you need to keep in mind," Ginger says. "It's a sort of rule. It's the way things work. Whatever energy you put out into the world, you'll receive back three-fold."

"Huh," Fiona grunts. "Is that a threat?"


Fiona laughs, with as much condescension as she can physically muster. She turns back to Robbie and Liza. "Can you believe this woman?"


They've since resumed not paying attention to her, probably the second she walked away. Curse them, they miss everything. Curse them all!

She'd only turned away for a few seconds when she sees another flash of light before her eyes.


She feels stupid for jumping. This time it's only a damn firefly.

But that's not the freakiest thing.


The freakiest thing is that the woman is gone. She didn't say goodbye, and Fiona didn't even hear her footsteps as she left.

She puts her hand in her pocket, and as she begins to walk, she feels something. Somehow, in her pocket there is a card that wasn't there when she came out tonight. It doesn't say much, just a phone number, and a name, Ginger Vance, Wiccan Guide, Coven of the Light.

"Whatever," Fiona says, rolling her eyes hard. "Like I'm about to join somebody else's cult."


*******

(footnotes: Fiona's Masterplan, Charlie dissed Fiona)

notes: a random little bit of trivia - all of my Deppiesse cousins are abnormally brilliant (besides Robbie, lol!): Amelia, Dallas, Fiona, Natty, Delphie, and Dakota... and I suppose we have yet to find out if Connor will follow suit. They're all very highly skilled, and always wanting to read and learn things. Maybe it is genetic?

This was also (very loosely) inspired by the November theme at Valley Sun Sims: Bonfire Night. As you can see, I totally don't do challenges on time ;)

25 comments:

  1. Hmm...interesting =D I know you have aliens in your hood, but do you play around with the other fantasy characters, like vampires, werewolves and witches?

    And suddenly, Fiona makes a lot of sense to me. I didn't realize her LTW was to be a Cult Leader until I checked the database. She doesn't seem like a follower, but maybe this woman is exactly who she needs to talk to...anyway it's 2 am and I'm rambling lol. Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, little Fiona is up to something not so little and not so good. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non-Anon, nope, nothing that can't be explained in real life... even the aliens, to be honest (sorry, I grew up watching the X-files! *I want to believe*) So lucky me that there are witches in real life, even if they don't glow or ride around on broom sticks ;)

    I'm glad you noticed Fiona's LTW :)

    Riverdale, getting in over her head maybe? We'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this as part of the VSS challenge, so it is a little out of context for me (I'm still catching up). But the pictures are fantastic, and Fiona's little evil schemes are interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiona is starting to scare me. I always thought she was a cute kind of creepy now she's just creepy.

    The song really suited the post another song that popped into by head was Witchy Woman by the Eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fun to read this post. If Fiona ever learns to cast spells, everyone (especially Charlie) should watch out ;) But I think Fiona isn't that bad. I am intrigue by the line "Whatever energy you put out into the world, you'll receive back three-fold" like "Karma" huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew when I saw the "weird" elements that this was your witch coming into play. To be honest, I have a hard time seeing Fiona has an evil mastermind, LOL! It's probably a good thing her brother is completely disinterested in her scheming!

    The thought of Fiona being a cult leader, however, is surprisingly apt. Dozens of mindless zombies following her around? It's like her perfect world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fiona is certainly powerful even without magic. I love the way you brought the magical element into play though. Especially loved the fireflies floating around Ginger Vance. That was a beautiful little detail. Was that another chance that you saw and took (a little bit of inspiration) or do you actually have a way to control where the fireflies appear? XD

    And that ending line, lol! Dangerous Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel, thanks! Aww, I forgot that anyone might have been in the middle of catching up, I don't think there were any real spoilers in this though. You pretty much know from the beginning that Fiona is up to no good :)

    Victoria, lol! You know who inspires Fiona for me sometimes - Plankton from Sponge Bob! You know, "1% evil, 99% hot gas" :)

    Maybe 5% evil, 95% hot gas in Fiona's case ;)

    Sweet Avenue, it's the Wiccan Rule of Three, similar idea to Karma though :)

    Mao, you know another interesting thing to note is that Fiona has only 1 nice point and a LTW of becoming a Cult Leader while Robbie has 10 nice points and a LTW of becoming Captain Hero, lol! Opposites much?

    Yes, if she can manage it, that would be her perfect world :)

    Lunar, I tried, lol! The fireflies I think is just what happens with witches in the game. I don't know, they were just there so I went with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fiona, what a little spitfire. I can see her turning out like a bad seed that's for sure. Interesting on how truly opposite her and Robbie are.

    Interesting that you've brought magic into play. LTW of cult leader sounds like the perfect candidate to get some magic skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maisie, Fiona is always fun to write :) I don't really think Fiona needs magic to be evil, lol, but I'm also really fascinated by this, and I'm eager to start researching what (if any) real life spell casting capabilities she might have.

    Wikipedia is my friend, lol! Particularly interested in this: "Many Wiccans believe magic to be a law of nature, as yet misunderstood or disregarded by contemporary science, and as such they do not view it as being supernatural, but being a part of the "super powers that reside in the natural"."

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is going to get interesting! I like the 'nothing that can't be explained in real life' idea... there's a lot that can't be explained and anyone who thinks they/scientists/whoever can explain everything, is kidding themselves :)

    I play my hood much the same way, I don't have any 'supernatural' sims. I had one active ghost once... I usually send my gravestones to the cemetery fairly quickly, but she was one of my favorite sims and I wasn't quite ready to let her go... so I decided her husband wasn't either :)

    I think if I'd been writing it, I would have had only the husband see her, and anyone reading could decide for themselves, whether they believed she was 'real' or just something in the husband's imagination. I'd probably do something similar if I used a ghost or some other supernatural 'species' of sim again... try to write it in a maybe/maybe not way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear someone is up to no good again, but seems that someone is keeping eye on her. Server her right. Naughty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my God, Ginger is that foreign lady who runs the occult store in The Craft! That's very likely a real tenet of Wicca (the three-fold thing) or something but my mind goes to 90s teen films before it goes to religious tenets. I'm just deep that way. ;)

    Fiona is a lot of fun and I'm very interested to see where this new interest might take her. It sounds like she's just going to get herself into a whole lot of trouble but who knows?!

    I don't have any supernatural Sims in my hood but if the witches didn't get that glow around them, I might be more inclined to have a couple of Sims experiment a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blackcat, I worded what I wrote this morning so confusingly (it was very early!), so I'm very impressed and glad that you got what I meant, lol!

    That's a really neat way to approach a "ghost story" :)

    Speechless, Fiona was never one to do as she's told, lol!

    Carla, I loved The Craft! And LOL, was that really her name? I didn't name the witch in my game, it was just what she came with. Too funny!

    There's a hack for no glow! There's also one for normal skin. Both Ginger and Fiona are witches in those screenshots, and no effects! :) If there was one for no broomstick, I'd grab that right up! It's so stupid now, even when Robbie and Liza are walking from lot to lot, Fiona gets on a broomstick, lol! That totally won't show up in the story though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, der, I didn't even notice that Fiona and Ginger weren't glowing! I have the dumbs today, clearly. Thanks!

    The lady in The Craft's name was not Ginger, as far as I can remember! But "Whatever energy you put out into the world, you'll receive back three-fold" is almost exactly what she says to Sarah the first time she goes to the store and it's mentioned a few times throughout the movie too.

    I need to watch that movie again now. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, lol, I get it! Duh here, too, I guess, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it. The way you wove the witch theme into the story. I really miss that expansion ... a lot.

    It was great to see things from Fiona's point of view. She's still one scary young girl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute story, I feel a tiny bit sorry for Fiona with her friend and brother being somewhat dating or liking each other. Leaves you as the third wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always knew Fiona was a bit scary. ;) Charlie had really better watch out! But I do think that becoming a cult leader is the perfect LTW for her, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carnaxa, thanks! They're one of the few "supernatural" kind of Sims I don't mind, since witches do exist in real life - it's just a matter of bringing them back down to Earth from the way the game intends them, lol!

    Apple, yes, that's one thing, among the many things irritating Fiona right now.

    Shana, her head is a scary (but fun!) place to be :) I'm more scared of her gusto than her capabilities. I'm not really sure what she's capable of yet, but if she is capable of something, I'm sure she'll want to make it happen :\

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Laura,

    I only found this now and because I'm still hopelessly behind on your blog I read it as part of the SVV Challenge. It's brilliant!
    How clever to make it a magical night. The photographs are stunning. And I love the way you make teens act and sound like teens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Moondaisy, thank you! No worries, I know how hard it is to keep up with all these blogs, lol! I have a lot of fun writing these three - but then, my husband tells me I still act like a teenager sometimes, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Somehow I doubt Fiona is going to take Ginger's advice...

    I'll be interested to see how you incorporate the witches into your story, and balance the TS2 supernatural elements with real-life possibilities (bringing them back down to Earth, as you put it), especially since I know several witches in real life :) I like the idea of making the TS2 witches into something that would actually be possible in real life, kind of like you did with the aliens.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Luminessence, anything that exists in real life is fair game for me! But I doubt Fiona in particular will end up representing RL witches very well, lol! At least not at first.

    ReplyDelete