They find themselves in a new bar one Thursday night - or new to them, rather. Lucky's Card Bar in the Old West End has been around for decades, longer than the three of them put together. There was a help wanted sign on the door for bartenders. April needs a job, seriously, she doesn't have rich entrepreneur parents funding her education like her friends.
April says, "I'm broke as a joke, guys. Which one of you are buying my drinks tonight?"
Beau says, "Eh, maybe, if you don't tell Evie."
April says, "Tyler? I'll put out."
Tyler says, "Eww."
"I haven't slept with your brother in like, six months now," she says. She knows. She could measure it down the the day - October 21st, 2082. It was a Tuesday, and they did it in his bed, music playing, after a little toking on "the bubble blower," she was wearing polka-dot panties, and he wore Superman boxers. "Isn't there a time clause or something? An expiration date?"
"No," Tyler says. "There isn't."
"I'll buy your drinks, April, you don't have to sleep with anybody."
"So you're allowed to be my best friend this week?"
"I'm allowed to be friends with whoever I want," he says.
"Except for me," she says.
"She never said that," he says.
Tyler tunes them out, their bickering like an old married couple, looking like he might throw up, or run away, or both.
Beau knew Evie was on her way, since she called him like she does, three times an hour, and he didn't lie about where he was. That's almost like an invitation. So he couldn't have picked a more inopportune time to follow April's voice calling from the photo booth. He had to check on her. She could have been in trouble or something.
Evie says, as begins to pull back the curtain, "Beau, who's in there?"
"Oh, nobody," he says.
But that cover is quickly blown when April slinks out of the photo booth and past them. She just wanted some pictures with her friend. Well, no, to be honest she wanted much more than pictures, but she didn't think anything would come of it. Nothing would have come of it - to April's dismay, Beau has been perfectly faithful to his little girlfriend these past six months.
"I know," Beau says, trying to ease his way out of a lecture. He lied to April earlier - Evie doesn't like her and she doesn't want them to be friends. "You want some pictures."
"No," she says. "Not anymore."
"You want pictures," he says, leaning towards her, trying to make her smile, trying to salvage the night at the very least.
He feeds some money into the photo booth and pulls her inside.
A minute later, they come out with four adorable picture-perfect photos. He tries to ignore the intensity of her doubtful stare. "See," he says. "They're nice, huh?"
Tyler sits at the bar, alone, noticing how there's nobody here, and the only people who are here have all coupled off. The night is weird and lonely and just plain wrong. This night is a disaster waiting to happen, persistent clouds waiting to rain.
And weirdest of all is Beau making a strange face at him from underneath the smoke and bar lights, as if saying, "Dude, help!"
Tyler doesn't know what he's supposed to do, but it strikes him as the perfect motto for life, if lives could have mottos, his would be,
Dude, help!Tyler can't be sure, but he thinks he's noticed the bartender checking him out all night. She's cute - or beautiful, he might say, because it feels awkward to call an older woman cute. She isn't old, just older. Not as old as his mom...
And then Tyler reminds himself, maybe he should try not to think about sexy women and his mom in the same thought. Though the
word around town lately is that most people can't avoid thinking of his mother that way.
And did she just...?
This is like one of those scenes that happens in movies, that never really happens in real life, except it's happening now - this sexy older woman just winked at him. She slid her fingertips across his back as she went behind him, leaving a trail of her perfume in the wake - potent stuff.
He doesn't even know what comes next. He tries to remember what they do in the movies, is he supposed to follow her or something? What if he's wrong and she clocks him across the head with her purse?
He gets up and walks towards the back corridors of the bar. At the same time, April stumbles back from the bathroom. "Where are you going?"
"Bathroom, duh," he says, with a telling grin on his face.
She's too drunk to take notice though. "You're drunk, April, go sit down."
She goes, feeling her way toward a barstool, her head swirling and light.
She looks up to find a man before her with a gripping smile and dark, dark eyes. "You're not the same bartender," she says.
She didn't order anything, but he pours her a glass of water. "No, sweetheart," Maxwell says. "I'm not the bartender."
She watches him talk, rather than listen, exactly. His words float through her head like the background music of the bar, and she just gazes up at him with a lazy smile on her face. They're talking, having a conversation. He's asking her questions and she's answering, though she can't remember the questions, but only the answers she gives back, in this dreamy stupor. One of the questions must have been, "What brings you here?"
Because she says, "I need a job," pointing vaguely at a sign hung behind the bar. Help wanted. "You need some help," she says.
She hardly notices when he slips around the side of the bar and appears sitting next to her. "How old are ya', sweetheart?"
"Nineteen," she says. "Twenty in August."
"Twenty in August," he repeats. She thinks this might be her job interview, as he looks up and down the length of her body.
"Tuesday night," he says. "About seven o'clock. Heather will show you the ropes."
"Okay," she says.
"Don't you forget now," he says.
"I won't," she says.
And while April interviews for her job, Beau plays a game at the table, with Evie at his side, and Fenton and Iris dance on to bar music like they haven't missed a beat, Tyler slips right past them all. It happens so fast, some introductions, some nerves, and she asks him to walk her out.
So he does.
She lives just across the street, and as he suspected, she didn't just want some company on her walk through the quiet streets of the Old West End. And she doesn't seem like the type of woman who would be afraid of the dark. She doesn't so much ask him if he wants to come in as she just takes his hand lightly there at the foot of her front door, and she lures him inside.
He lets her.
She's a grown woman with her own house, no parents, no roommates. And this happens the way these things usually happen - after alcohol and some dancing, except he is stone sober and he barely danced a minute until right now. Her music is soft, some jazz song he doesn't know - he doesn't listen to that type of music, but it's good for dancing, for moving with her in a dimly lit living room.
Her name is irrelevant, though she had actually told him at one point, Hannah, Heather, Helen? Did it even matter? He doesn't really know how these things work, the casual way, but she takes control of everything. She showed him just what to do, and just what is allowed. He takes note, and follows her lead.
Maybe she knows exactly what's going on here even before he does. His love for Summer Phoenix is tattooed painfully across his forehead, and she reads it. She knows this young man has loved before, and he's loved deep, he's loved hard. So she can make this so easy for him, knowing that even if he's young, surely he won't be inexperienced.
These are the best kind, she thinks. The ones who would be off-limits except for this one night of weakness. This one night where she'll help him in ways nobody else can.
There is something very important happening here, and he slowly begins to realize that. This is more than just discovering what her skin feels like underneath that little blue dress, but every piece of clothing removed, every touch, every surely placed kiss, this becomes a process of dismantlement.
He wants this, not her so precisely. He wants this because it's something to be done, it's a movement, it's a direction. She's beautiful, and that helps, but she could be anyone. He's using her, even before he knows it, just as she's taking something from him. He's using her to dissect his love for Summer.
This is an attempt to break things down. Summer and Tyler, Tyler and Summer. He breaks them apart to their very bones. Broken down, disassembled.
In pieces, in shards, maybe even beyond repair.
But even broken, even in shards, scattered like glass on pavement, there is still love, underneath it all as if burrowed into his skin.
So he brings it to her, this disassembled love. He brings her the pieces.
It's very early when the rain starts that morning. As he walks to her front door the sky begins to mist above him. It's a school day, a Friday. She would be awake already.
She comes to the front door before he can knock. She lights up, the way she does when she sees him. It's cool but not cold, and she's in pajamas and bare feet. He can't look her in the eyes, but instead studies the grass as it collects tiny beads of rain. "You should have shoes on or something," he says.
"Are you going to come in?"
"No," he says. "You probably won't want me to."
"I slept with someone," he says.
"You what?"
"I had sex with somebody else."
"Sex," she repeats. "You had sex with someone? What are you saying? Who?"
"You don't know her," he says.
"Sex," she says. She's trying to define it to herself. "Like..." The image is naked, skin, and his dick, very precisely, in someone else. She can't say those words though.
"Why are you telling me this?"
"I don't know," he says.
"I didn't think you would."
"I did," he says. "I'm sorry."
"I went on a couple dates," she says. "I threw a football around. I kissed him, a peck, it lasted five seconds."
"I'm sorry," he says.
"I know we're seeing people," she says. "But I didn't think you would do that."
"What
did you want me to do?" he asks her, his voice pleading and desperate. "This has been all about you, Summer, what about me? What about what I wanted? What am I supposed to
do?"
"I don't know," she says. "What do you want me to say?"
He shakes his head.
"So this is it? You're, like, done with me?"
"No," he says, reaching to her arm. She doesn't brush him away. "I'll never be done with you."
He pulls her closer and her arms hang loose around his back, her chin hangs heavy on his shoulder. She can smell it on him still, cigarette smoke, the perfume, the remnants of this other faceless woman. She pulls away. "You should go," she says.
She leaves him there in the rain.
Disassembled, to their bones.
What he is supposed to do is obvious now. People had their opinions one way or another whether he and Summer should explore their options or not. Time apart is what they really needed, what she said she needed from the start. He just wasn't listening. He wanted to win her back, or convince her otherwise, when really he just should have given her want she wanted.
He drives to Fort Bluewater. This is something he can do. He's seen the flyers posted up all around campus. "We need YOU! Fight for your people, protect the planet! See your recruiter today!"
This is something needed, something other people are doing to be of use. This is something to occupy his mind and consume him when the other things consuming him feel wrong.
This is something he can fight for, when the things he really wants to fight for are not up for debate.
And best of all, it's so easy.
And it's done.
*** to be continued ***
notes: I think you guys already saw this coming. Tyler is my third volunteer for the military ;)
*** outtakes ***
I've never seen a rejected photobooth woohoo, lol! She got thrown out and onto her butt! Good thing ACR is doing its job this time, since Evie was standing RIGHT there!!!Awww, we love you April, but really, honey, what did you expect?Say Hi to Fenton and Iris, lol! I'm still playing them in the background (I can't help it, they're so cute!), so you'll probably see them in the background of pictures every now and then. Beau, Tyler, and April are all friends with Fenton now, he's such a popular guy. Iris is a little quieter though.
It's a shame I have so many Sims already! I think I'll send them to Takemizu with Dallas next year, since I usually send a few non-playables along when one of my playables goes.
I was really hoping that Tyler wouldn't have a one-nighter with that cougar. For Summer's sake, I hope he comes back from the war.
ReplyDeleteI was actually thinking the opposite of petalbrook. I'm SO glad he did it. All of it is so true-- he did need to simply make a clean break and take some time. I hope he comes back from the war too just so they can have proper closure. Wouldn't it be horrible for something bad to happen to him after this?
ReplyDeleteAnd awww... poor April! Good thing the woohoo wasn't accepted.
Wow, Tyler is really heartbroken over Summer. I was not expecting him to volunteer for the war, although it makes sense that he'd want to. I've probably said this before, but I love that your characters have their own personalities and desires. It really feels like you're recording what these people do rather than deciding for them.
ReplyDeleteNot Tyler! I have to say I most certainly did NOT see this coming lol.....poor Tyler.....that's really sad......Summer is going to freak when she finds out what he did.
ReplyDeleteI had a feeling that Tyler was going to volunteer after Stephanie and Jeremiah's last update. I hope he comes back alive...but then, I hope all of them come back alive, LOL. ;) And I guess Keri is on her way in to make everything official?
ReplyDeleteTyler and Summer do need time apart. It's sad that he's finally realized it now, when she's changed her mind.
Poor April, she's just trying to get a little action. ;)
petalbrook, acts of desperation! And lol, so does that mean that if not for Summer, you wouldn't care if he came back or not? ;)
ReplyDeleteLunar, yes, I have to agree. He went about it the hard way though, didn't he? But it's the first time he's actually thinking about himself and what he wants in all of this, so for that, I'm glad.
Sarah, thanks! I'm glad you notice that. IMO, it's one of the most important things I've learned about writing a character - I have to take myself completley out of it and allow them to behave like real individual people, whether I like their choices or not.
Mizzgin, surprise, lol! I've seen this coming for a little while now, and I've really felt him needing an escape.
Shana, yup, that's Keri there at the end. April is really feeling so tortured, lol - she's got plenty of options, but Beau is her favorite!
Ha, love April getting kicked out of the photo booth so unceremoniously! Well, I feel bad for the poor girl too but I had to laugh.
ReplyDeleteI have a horrible, horrible feeling about Tyler going off to war. I dread thinking what would happen to Summer if he died. Poor girl has been through so much already, with her mum.
I am glad that he's thinking about his own needs and wants in all of this, and not just about Summer any more but I wish he didn't have to go off and do something so dangerous to get there.
petalbrook, acts of desperation! And lol, so does that mean that if not for Summer, you wouldn't care if he came back or not? ;)
ReplyDeleteNo, I like Tyler. I meant that Summer will have to carry a huge guilt trip if he doesn't come back.
Carla, I laughed too :) Me too, about Summer. And he couldn't be a nineteen year-old guy without running off to do something dramatic and dangerous.
ReplyDeletepetalbrook, I did figure that, I'm just being silly :)
April!!! She's as cute as a button, I LOVE her. I wish she were more playable as a nonplayable, she's so perfect. Her relationships with the twins are priceless yet I feel that there is so much beyond the surface of Ms. April. I want to give her a hug and probe her mind for more details. I know this was more about Tyler and Summer, but April stole the show for me :)
ReplyDeleteApple, I love April too! Did I not mention that she's full-on playable now? Regardless of who (or how many, lol!) of my playables she hooks up with, we'll definitely hang on to her after college and beyond.
ReplyDeleteBut Summer and Tyler are just having some heavy drama at this point in their lives - April is featured much more in part 3, and she'll get more screen time once the other stories cool off ;)
It's weird but I feel cleansed of Summer and Tyler. But I also think Tyler feel cleasned as well. He needed that. I get that Summer needed space, she felt those walls closing in on her. Those what if's, those unanswered questions and notions if she had stayed with him. And Tyler was so focused on winning her back he forgot that he needed to explore life without Summer as well.
ReplyDeleteBut he's older, he's a man and he has needs. I feel for Summer, I do. But what did she expect? Did she really believe that he would not have sex? Maybe she did. In that juvinal way. She's having her fun but it's just playful flirty fun. Not yet adult like.
He didn't have to tell her either, but I'm happy he did. She needed to hear it, she needed to feel it. Feel what he put her through. Because even though she wanted time apart she still used him for her physical needs. Which wasn't fair to him. So now she gets to ache inside the way he ached for her.
And joing the military. I think it was a really rash decision something he can't back out of now. He should have thought it through. And I can't help but wonder, has he don't this because he really doesn't want to face what he did to Summer? I mean, he showed up at her house after being with another woman, her scent still on him.
Even if he wasn't thinking, deep down inside he was. He knew she would smell the other woman. He knew what his words would do to her. And now, he's going off to play hero.
Then again, I could be reading all wrong into this. LOL Anywho great update as always, Laura!
Riverdale, wow! Thank you, and yay! - I'm very glad you read all of that into this entry! You're pretty much spot on what I intended!
ReplyDeleteI think Tyler knew what he was doing at every step of the way, and the military is definitely an escape for him.
I have to feel for both of them though, of course, being in their heads and all ;) This has been (for me at least) a fascinating experiment in how one decision, and its many consequences, can spin out of control and become something so very different from its original intentions.
They could dwell forever on "what ifs", but like life, their story only gets told once. There are no do-overs. So yes, this is definitely a sort of cleansing, at the very least for the simple story they could have had.
I'm glad that came across well :)
I am getting more and more worried with each update. Thsi means that either Tyler, Keri, or Alon will die!
ReplyDeleteBut this was a really good update. I feel like Summer and Tyler are over now. I understand they loved each other, but I think they need to love other people now, without still having some sort of attachment to one another.
and I hope your father feels well!
bbop, that's just my volunteers - including those already in the military, there are seven: Cabe, Andy, Alon, Joel, Tyler, Keri, and Jeremiah... not that that makes things any easier, lol.
ReplyDeleteSummer and Tyler have a lot of love, but they've hurt each other a lot as well, so I'm glad they're getting some space from each other. The future is anybody's guess.
I hope things are going ok with your father since it's been a bit since you did update.
ReplyDeleteFantastic writing, I've enjoyed seeing their story unfold and their characters age. Summer's face looks heartbroken, sometimes it's hard getting what we think we wanted.
Out of all the people heading off to this war, Tyler is one I really, really plea with you to not kill off. Cause I really like him.
maisie, thank you! This does really suck for Summer, since she never really knew what she wanted from the start.
ReplyDeleteWords can't really describe how utterly captivated I am by your story. If you ever get that novel finished, drop me a line because I'll be there at the bookstore ordering it.
ReplyDeleteOn to the chapter ...
I felt so sorry for April. It must hurt to have been good friends with someone and have them call you a "nobody". I know why he did it but still ...
The scene between Tyler and the older woman was incredible, very sensual but at the same time, thoughtful. I can understand why he did it.
This line;
"This is something he can fight for, when the things he really wants to fight for are not up for debate."
So tragic for Tyler.
Really great chapter but all your chapters are so captivating. I am off to read the latest one.
carnaxa, thanks! You're right, he did call her nobody! Shame, Beau! I love that you guys pick up on things that I'm writing into the story subconsciously sometimes. It's the best thing about writing publicly like this. The comments and feedback are always very helpful to me, and much appreciated :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe Tyler's fling will cause Summer to wake up and realize that there's more than just one persona in a relationship... and people won't wait forever. Tyler needed to find some sort of ground to stand on and it seems he has, good for him!
ReplyDeleteMao, yes, Summer is definitely having to learn a lot of hard life lessons. I agree, Tyler needed this.
ReplyDeleteWait wait... I was right? I was RIGHT! I thought he might be tempted, what with his situation with Summer (and the way Jeremiah ranted at him :P )... but I wasn't sure he would actually do it.
ReplyDeleteLuminessence, you were right! :)
ReplyDelete