So I just wanted to note that I'm experimenting with some lighting and camera mods - so if my pictures look a little wonky in the next few updates, then that's why ;)
For starters (and this is where I started),
Jen at Greetings from Mt. Geneva has a whole page dedicated to some very helpful links and information about lighting, camera mods, and picture-taking stuff.
First,
GunMod's Camera Mod! I adore the camera mod! I didn't download it for a long time, because I just thought, so I can zoom in a little bit more, what's the big deal? For one, I highly underestimated the JOY of zooming in and out like it allows. It's fun, trust me! But most importantly, it handles the camera in a way that allows my sad little graphics card and computer to work so much better! I was never able to run all the highest settings until installing this mod. Now I can. Look, shadows!
And Bryson loathes you to see each and every one of his wrinkles!
The downside though, is that it makes scrolling around the lot in live play a little jerky, but that's a trade-off I'm willing to accept for clearer pictures :)
Lighting is fun too. I just installed the regular easy version of
GunMod's Radiance Lighting System. I know there are other lighting mods out there, and I would be happy to hear about your experiences with them, as this one has some kinks I need to work out still. I didn't get the newest version, because what the crap is this business about needing to install something (Scriptorium?) to be able to install the mod??? That went way over my head, and scared me, to be quite honest. So I got the old one, lol!
But anyway, we now have dawn, dusk, and actual darkness!
Lake City at dusk:
Whoa, that's dark! I like that there can be actual darkness if I want it. Good thing Bryson has enough money to buy lamps! He's going to need them!
LOL, now I need to write a storyline where a family is too poor to afford lights :)
That's better! I'm still trying to decide if this looks different. I think maybe it does. More light in the immediate area underneath the lamps, and less light where Bryson is on the piano? I guess I can even notice a little less light in the middle where the couch is, or is that default anyway? I don't know...
(Compare to
this photo from their old house, same lamps and furniture though.)
I'm especially having irks with my windows and doors. So glaring! Even the darker colored ones don't really seem to fit in. This is a dark hallway, which looks cool except for that neon red door! And the opposing door to the right isn't so glaring, so I don't really understand why the one to the left is?
Glaring on the window frames...
But mostly, I just wanted to say that if my pictures look a little strange for a few updates while I figure things out, then you know why ;) And if anybody else uses these mods (or good alternatives) and wants to offer some pointers, I would gladly accept the advice!
Oh, and I'm also aiming to post the Lake City Metro Business Award voting by the end of the day :)
I downloaded Gunmod's camera too - but I'm not sure which of the three settings to choose from - GCM-31-A.RAR : No Fade No Clip Version OR GCM-31-B.RAR : No Fade Default Clipping Version OR GCM-31-C.RAR : Maxis Live Mode Version. Which one are you using? I can't pick since I don't know what clip or fade is (noob I know!)
ReplyDeleteAnd I use CONFIG MOD: Morning/Evening sunlight (from http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=295814) to get the dawn/dusk light effects. In the comment section (post #55) ScorpioMaurus explains how to use the mod without scriptorium. You can edit the light text file yourself (Which is what I did). I also notice glare though on light colored surfaces.
For the newer version of the radiance lighting system, you don't need the scriptorium. In the read me it tells you how to install manually. (Basically, you just drop each lighting folder into the appropriate directory of your program files.)
ReplyDeleteI've heard with the older version there is a problem with snow. It will also glow unnaturally. I think.
With the new version in, I have been playing through a heavy winter in my town and my snow had looked ok. The only thing that looked weird was when I had a sim make a snow angel. The angel was glowing too.
I had Guns Light Radiance Mod when it first came out. I liked it a lot but I had to delete it because it slowed down my game.
ReplyDeleteI love the camera mod on the other hand. I don't remember what taking pictures was like before it.
I use the camera mod (no fade no clip, I believe), and the morning/evening mod mentioned already.
ReplyDeleteI tried the Radiance Lighting, but found it made some things too dark for me, and other things too light. I could hardly see what was in the house at all. I mostly wanted dawn and dusk, so the morning/evening mod is simpler and gives me the main thing I was looking for.
I really like the morning light in the houses. The evening is a bit dark inside - the lights don't come on until 7PM, so things are pretty gloomy for that hour. It's nice to see the change though, without instant day/night.
I use the GunMod camera mod, but I've always shied away from the lighting mod. Mainly I've just been scared to use it. I've heard lots of complaints about it, much like the problems you're having with it. And I am absolutely terrible at fixing problems and figuring out how mods/hacks work. Unless there's a tutorial on how to configure it and/or use it, I won't even touch it! That's why I never used the age duration hack until you posted about it, and I never used ACR until you wrote an in-depth tutorial of sorts on how it works and what values to use. I'm just too scared that I'll bork my game, and too lazy to figure things out on my own! Not to mention the fact that I am terrible with all things electronic. Blogging is about the only thing I can do. That and turn my sims game on! But I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures in the next few updates.
ReplyDeletesimstate, I downloaded version A, the no clip, no fade version. I think what it means is like in live mode when you get close to trees or stairs, it will fade away. Version A doesn't have that, which is what I want.
ReplyDeleteLunar, I think I will have another try at installing the newer version manually, maybe in a couple more weeks when I have time to really sit down and figure it out. I'm sure I could figure it out, I usually do ;) It's good to hear it's working okay for you - that makes me feel better about it!
Monique, for real! I don't think I could go back to taking pictures the old way either! :)
aelflaed, it does make things really dark. I think I like it though. I can always have them buy more lamps :) I agree though about dusk - it could stand to be a little brighter, like an orangy glow rather than the dark red tones. I think it might be just a matter of finding the right version to use.
Mandie, I guess I'll be the guinea pig :) I don't mind though. I've always been one to try out new experimental mods before they're even approved safe, lol. I can usually figure out a way to fix the things that I break, and if not, I'll just work the brokenness into the storyline ;)
I can't wait to show you some of the pictures I'm working on for the Shaw family update! I think I'm sold on it, even with glaring doors. I'm loving all the new variations on lighting :)
I hate playing with GunMod's lighting, absolutely HATE IT. Way, way too dark, haha. Yet I use it religiously for sims 2 stories and couldn't do them without it. I also like editing/etc, so that helps, plus I can place lights ANYWHERE. It's kind of annoying for gameplay. Thus why I have two separate installs of Vista, one dedicated completely to my Boreal Springs hood, LOL!
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you're enjoying the GunMod's camera... I use it for storytelling, again, but no gameplay. I'm very picky, I guess. I like things extremely separate. But then again, I also don't like 'realistic' sims in gameplay, LOL. I'm so persnickety.
Interested in seeing what you do with the pictures in the next update!
I love the camera mod and can't play without it - literally! There are houses that I can't get to unless I have it in because they're way over on the edge of the map, where the Maxis camera can't see.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the expansion pack dance is finally over for good. I always used to forget to back up my cameras folder and would have to go crawling over to MTS2 to download the hack again.
I don't have much love for the lighting mod though. I love it in other people's pictures but I find it unbelievably annoying to play with. Way too dark or way too bright and not a lot of in between. I've tried it twice and I've never left it in more than one play session.
Mao, LOL, two separate installs! That IS persnickety! :) I was wondering about that, actually, because your story shots do look very different from your Boreal Springs shots.
ReplyDeleteSullivan, I'm glad we're done with EPs too! I had SO many hacks and mods to update each time!