But first, I'd like to talk about what's been keeping me so busy. I've been hard at work this past spring and summer, and I've gone and decided to make myself the beginnings of what I hope will be a long and fulfilling career, which is what I always intended to do someday. I know I've mentioned here before that I went to college to study fiction writing, and I guess you might say I just got sidetracked with this wonderful distraction that is Lakeside Heights and Sim-storytelling. It taught me just as much (or more!) about writing and storytelling as I ever learned in uni. It taught me about my own personal style and voice, and it led me to some really amazing people, all over the world, who I never knew would become some of my very best friends.
I did it for fun in the beginning, but I had no idea it would become one of the most important and enriching experiences of my life. Writing a Sim story - yes, I'm totally serious, lol!
But anyway, I'd like to show you what's been keeping me so busy! :)
Exactly Where They'd Fall
This is the novel that was inspired by Jodie and Amelia's story, which you may have read first here on this blog many years ago. (Wow, yes, it has been years now, hasn't it?)
But before you dig in, there's one thing I want us to talk about - a note on alternate dimensions. This is not the same story you first read here. In some ways, it's quite different. I'd like to say this is inspired by the story once posted here, rather than a direct retelling of it. If you could take the soul out of a story, and instill it in another body, that would be what I've done here.
You'll likely recognize a few scenes. You'll certainly recognize the main characters, though some characters have changed. Some are entirely new. Some characters (like Piper) have kept their names and personalities as a nod to their inspirations, but are really living an entirely different life in this book and the spin-off novels that will follow it.
When a writer publishes first draft stories (like the ones you read here on Lakeside Heights), a lot of times, what I see in my head isn't necessarily what gets translated onto the page. That's both the beauty and the frustration of the creative writing process. And that's what critique partners and editors are for, and I have to say, I've had a very talented team helping me shape this little book-baby.
So while it's not the same story you first read here, it is infinitely better and truer to what I had in mind. It's like the skeleton with all the meat on its bones. And some makeup. And a super cute outfit with the perfect pair of shoes. It's matured and filled out and I hope will yeild you a much richer experience.
A synopsis:
Jodie and Amelia were almost sisters once, before college degrees, careers, and grown-up love entered their lives. Before Jodie’s brother broke up with Amelia.
After so many disappointments, Amelia is finally happy. Or something like it. She’s given her love and trust to her best friend, Drew, who is sweet, sensitive, loyal, and everything she’s always wanted. She’s calculated the perfect path to inner peace and healing by surrounding herself with people who would never break her heart.
Jodie hates that all her friends are pairing up to begin their futures. She hates dating, hates romance in general. She hates that she can’t forget one night, a year ago, which Drew doesn’t seem to remember the same way. Everyone is moving on without her, but that’s fine, because she never needed anyone in her life anyway.
Never has a way of proving itself wrong.
With vivid characters, generous doses of humor, and palpable emotion, Exactly Where They’d Fall is a story about three friends forced to explore the complicated and fragile bonds of friendship and love. Fans of heartfelt, witty literary fiction, and smart women’s fiction will enjoy this charming and honest debut.
See? On the surface, it's pretty close to the first draft, but in the details, I think you'll find it's quite new.
If you're interested in checking it out, it's currently available at Amazon, the Nook store, Smashwords, as well as a million more places you can find linked on my website. You can add it to your Goodreads page now too!
*** warning: this is about to be the sappiest thing you've ever read...***
But most of all, I'm posting this because I wanted to say thank you. Thank you to all of you who have been so patient while I went off to explore being a novelist, and this blog basically came to a screeching halt. And even thank you to those of you who haven't been around here in a while. I know many of us have since moved on to do different things - some of us aren't reading Sim stories anymore, or even playing Sims at all anymore. But I remember everyone who ever stopped by this blog to read, or hang out, or chat in the comments, and I want you all to know how much that meant to me.
Thank you for loving Jodie first - you guys loved her even before I did myself, and it's because of that appreciation that she's grown up to be sent out into the big, wide literary world. Thank you for all the support and encouragement over the years, without which I would never have had the confidence to do this in the first place. Thank you for being my very first readers; you will always hold that special place in my heart. And in a lot of ways, I'd venture to say that you all taught me how to be an author. So thank you, thank you, thank you!
Much love to you all, and I hope I've done the story justice! :)
(Also, because I know some of you must be wondering, I can promise you that Lakeside Heights - the story - is not over. However, writing and blogging these Sim-illustrated stories in addition to my other full-time writing work is a big load, especially as publishing these days requires so much of authors in the way of promotion and marketing and so many other things. It's something I'll be thinking about a lot in the coming weeks as I gain some of my free time back. But the story itself, outside the game, Dallas and Lucy, and Summer and Tyler, and the aliens, and the war, and the future - that all lives inside my head. It's huge and sprawling, and it's a story very dear to my heart. It's more complicated than just being busy, and I'll likely post about it again in a few weeks. But I can promise you it will be finished some day, one way or another.)
Aw! Speaking for myself, at least, it's been just as much of a pleasure to read your stories, as well as get to know you over the years (wow, it really has been years now!)
ReplyDeleteI'll be interested to see what other projects you have in line now, Sims-related and otherwise, now that you're a published author! I'm still so excited for you. :D
Thank YOU so much for sharing with us! I have enjoyed reading all your wonderful writing and am SO excited for you!! This is awesome! I can't wait to see what you do with writing in general AND with your sims. :)
ReplyDeleteYay, congrats on the book and good luck!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! I'll check your book out on Amazon and may download it to my Kindle - and if I do, there will be a review on my blog (not on the Sims blog, of course, but on "From My Mental Library", my main blog).
ReplyDeleteThis is wondereful news. Congratulations! And thank you for sharing your stories and thoughts with us. They have been and still are a great inspiration for me and I'm sure to many others too.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Laura! <3
ReplyDeleteYayness! I fell in love with the Lakeside Heights in your head - not just the one in the Sims, and I feel honoured and pleased that I've had a chance to see your baby conceived and grown and out in the world. I look forward to seeing many more of your stories through sims and novels - and I look forward to reading a hot sex scene with Corbin in it! :D
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your book! I downloaded it and am looking forward to reading it on my next camping trip!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Laura!! I'm super happy for you! You've really worked hard to get this completed, and I'm looking forward to reading it, it's already on my kindle. Can't wait to see what you have planned next!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting to see your creative process in action. I do hope that you make a print book someday so I can read it, as I just can't get behind ereaders.
ReplyDeleteKiri, lol! You'll be getting a whole book of Corbin sex scenes! It's an officially planned book now! Even better, huh? ;)
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone who's checked out the book! I'd love to know what you thought of it if you read it, and of course, if you liked it, I'd love it if you told your friends all about it! :)
For those of you waiting on the print version, it's coming very soon! September, I hope - and that will be available online at most major book retailers, as well as through my website.
Thank you everyone! Thank you so much for all the support! You guys are amazing! :)
This is my first comment on the blog, but I thought I'd finally leave one, lol. I found Lakeside Heights at the end of this past winter, and it took me quite awhile to get caught up with everything, but I absolutely love your style and ideas. It inspired me to go into more detail with my own simming, though I don't have a blog for them or anything like that.
ReplyDeleteI would like to say congrats! I was told once that if you do something you love, everything will fall into place... and I think that's what happened for you. I can't wait to read your book, and I'm just dying to know what happens to your sims... so keep it coming! Slow and steady and all that. :)
I'm like super late, but I just want to say that I'm so very proud of you. I popped over to Amazon and read the reviews for your book and they almost made me cry. I'm so happy that I found your blog (via Carla) and that I got the chance to not only read and enjoy what you have shared with us, but also got to know you as a person.
ReplyDeleteI wish nothing but the best for you and wonderful things in your future. As someone once said (and I can't remember who, lol) "You've got it, kid!" And you do. I'm glad that your just sharing it with the rest of us. Looking forward to what you share next!
Adana, hi! Welcome! And nice to meet you! Thank you! :)
ReplyDeleteRiverdale, ha, don't worry about it! I'm late on everything these past few months, lol! Thank you so much for reading, and commenting, and for all the support over the years! <3
Oh my goodness! How on earth did I not see this?!?
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to get my little grubby hands on it and read away!
CONGRATS LAURA!!! <3
-Lindsey (from ellebellsims.tumblr.com and a long time reader and occasional comment-er :P)
Ahhh yay! And its available on iTunes!! Buying as soon as my next check goes through (yeah, I'm a broke college kid that doesn't have $5 in my account, don't laugh)
ReplyDeleteI am so excited. This just totally made my day.
And congrats again!!!! <333
Hey there, this is the former Simdale Valley blogger--I got your book on Kindle sample, Exactly Where'd They Fall, and couldn't put it down. I love being able to picture the characters from all the places and Sims from LH, but it is so much more filled out. Congratulations on being published and it looks like I'll be following you in print as well as on blogger.
ReplyDeleteLindsey, awww, thank you! No laughter here, I was definitely that broke when I was in college too. No rush, it'll be there when you're ready. I hope you enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteShannon, hi! Thank you! Yes, it definitely grew, lol! It ended up about three times as big as the first draft version! I got carried away with them and couldn't stop. ;)
Thank you both for reading, and for coming here to tell me so! :D
Oh Laura! I had to come back to say how much I loved Exactly Where They'd Fall. I remember commenting on one of the Amelia and Drew posts, saying how deeply it touched me and what I was going through at the time with my boyfriend.. at times it was so relatable back then I couldn't even read it. The book was perfect! Just perfect. I loved knowing the tidbits, the back story, seeing the characters I grew to love so much, feel like I knew so well out there in print!
ReplyDeleteYou are my biggest inspiration, and I'm so excited to follow your career as a writer!
Lindsey, thank you so much! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it! You just put a huge smile on my face! <3 <3 <3
DeleteAww <3 I'm glad I was able to! You've kept a huge smile (and sometimes big ol tear drops) on my face for years now. I am so so genuinely happy, excited, and inspired by you! So thank you! <3<3
Delete