Corbin met Jack while jogging down North Park Street one afternoon, and noted how Jack's bad stride would surely cause shin splints if he wasn't careful. Then Corbin quickly explained that he was a certified physical therapist and not actually trying to pick him up. They've only been hanging out a few weeks, but they both welcome the new friendship. Jack welcomes someone to shoot hoops with, since his dad has gotten too old, and most of his family are into couch sporting rather than actual sporting. And Corbin looks forward to spending time with friends who aren't women, who don't remind him of Leila, or anything he used to do with Leila. Friends who play basketball and poker, and belch without excusing themselves, and drink cheap beer in slimy South End pubs.
It's an added bonus that Jack knows basketball. He's actually pretty good at it.
"But to be pro," Jack says. "You have to be great, not just good. Trust me, I make a better cop."
"Oh look at that," Corbin says.
"It's just practice," Jack says. "You'll get it soon enough."
"Sure, sounds like fun," Corbin says.
"Generic holiday party, I don't know if you're religious or anything," Jack says.
"No, not religious," Corbin says. "But don't worry about it, if you are."
Corbin hates this question. He never hated it before, but he hates it now. "Oh, you know. Nothing serious," he says.
Corbin lines up the ball and shoots. "Sure, what is it?" The ball hits rim and circles around before falling outside of it instead of inside.
"You should probably know, so it's not a shock or anything."
Jack goes to get the ball.
Corbin waits. Jack pads at the basketball, round and round in his hands, like he'd forgotten he wanted to say anything at all. He stops turning the ball, but he doesn't look away from it.
"My wife, Nessa," he says. "She has cancer."
"If it's too weird, or whatever, you don't have to come."
Corbin doesn't know what to think, so he just answers. "No, I'll be there."
When Jack smiles, it's almost not a smile at all, but an offering. "Great," he says. He reevaluates, takes the ball back down to dribble again, the hollow boing, boing, boing of rubber on wood. He raises it back up to the hoop.
"She just wants to have a nice party," he says.
*******
(footnotes: Leila // Jack and Nessa)
notes: so there's that then. I think some of you already guessed it from Jodie's story.
This little storyline was actually inspired by something that happened in the game, and as with all gameplay tidbits, I always reserve the right to take it or leave it depending on how it fits into the story.
The c-word is one of those topics I don't usually want to "go there" with, and for reasons that hit too close to home, I'll probably maintain some distance with these stories. But I found that it brought something important to the story, and particularly with some of the characters more indirectly involved, like Hayden. It brings an angle that I couldn't have reached otherwise. So it started to write itself. And so I guess I can, and will, "go there" after all. Who knew?
I'll be wrapping this and all of its parts into Hayden's story tag, by the way.
And given all that gravity, I think we need some outtakes!
Meet the ballerina stalker, lol! And her stalker posse. I had such a hard time shooting this scene, because these women will not leave them alone, lol! But then, on any given day, Meadow follows Corbin around the gym like a little lost puppy dog! Oh how sad she'll be, now that she's retiring, and won't get to watch him at work every day. She's too funny!
But yes, of course, Corbin was hired for his athletic skill and knowledge! Of course he was! ;)
And Jack - poor Jack doesn't get enough screentime, but he was looking particularly nice in this one, so I just had to share ;)
So I'm not sure if Meadow is swooning for Jack, or for Corbin, or for both of them at the same time.
Ballerina Stalker though, she just won't leave Corbin alone, lol! I wrote in my babble thread about how tempted I was to make this a shirtless game, but the reality is that Corbin just does not take his shirt off at work! DOES NOT! Seriously, he is *terrified* of those college girls! They're insatiable!!! They're like hungry little hormonal sex-starved monsters!!! They would eat him alive!!! :o
But yes, of course, Corbin was hired for his athletic skill and knowledge! Of course he was! ;)
So I'm not sure if Meadow is swooning for Jack, or for Corbin, or for both of them at the same time.
Ballerina Stalker though, she just won't leave Corbin alone, lol! I wrote in my babble thread about how tempted I was to make this a shirtless game, but the reality is that Corbin just does not take his shirt off at work! DOES NOT! Seriously, he is *terrified* of those college girls! They're insatiable!!! They're like hungry little hormonal sex-starved monsters!!! They would eat him alive!!! :o
Wow, cancer is quite an ambitious storyline to go with! But very appropriate to this month. I'm glad you're tackling it and I definitely think you have the writing skills to pull something like this off - I can't even handle trying to work in an abortion where it might be appropriate without feeling like I'm drama-mongering for no reason...
ReplyDeleteLess seriously - aww, poor Corbin. Harassment is wrong, college ladies!
Poor Nessa and Jack....I hope they make it through this. I'm with Zoe--if anyone can pull this off, I think it's you.
ReplyDeleteFor a minute, I expected Jack to tell Corbin that Leila would be there....and then I felt silly because he wouldn't know. I love how things that either didn't bother him before (being asked if he's bringing a date) or that he actually liked before (the attention of women) are now repugnant or bring him no happiness because of his feelings for Leila.
Zoe, lol, there's probably not many topics I wouldn't write at this point. I didn't used to be so brave. I don't think it's drama-mongering though. I think these are all things that happen to real people in real life.
ReplyDeleteI kind of lied though, about not usually writing "cancer stories" - it's in my novel, and one of the first short stories I ever wrote back in college was about a girl whose mom was dying of cancer. Apparently I do it all the time? :\
Yes, writing is cathartic, even when you don't realize you're doing it. Or maybe we just write the things we know?
Anyway, thank you!
Rachel, thanks! I'm gonna try to do it justice. (And well geeze, I don't think I was nervous about writing it, but maybe now I'll start to be, lol!)
Yes, coming here to Lake City has changed him in ways he never could have expected. Not even I knew that meeting Leila would be in the cards for him. This storyline has definitely taken on a life of its own. But I have to say, having seen it through, I have fallen in love with where it's going.
But these college girls are just scary! They're a lot more desperate and forward about it than his adult women admirers, lol!
I too thought Jack would bring up Leila, but wondered if Jack would know that about Corbin already. I'm curious, what gameplay caused the Nessa/cancer storyline?
ReplyDeleteApple, nope, that's actually something he hasn't shared with many people at all yet. And even fewer people know on her end, actually. Charlotte knows, Justin kind of knows (who she was, but not that she was married), and Claire knows. That's all. One more person will know in the next update though... and another person knows already but I can't tell you who that is until we get to that part in the story, lol!
ReplyDeleteLong story short, no, Jack doesn't know yet.
I'll also share the gameplay stuff that inspired Nessa's story, but not until it's finished ;)
ROFL I love the fact that Corbin has groupies all over the place. LOL
ReplyDeleteThe cancer thing is a huge thing to write. I also have one coming up as well. I don't want to do it, but like you, it ties into one of my stories. It's safe to say that once the cancer comes out and what follows, a lot of my readers (hopefully) will say, "I never saw that coming!" lol
I'm look forward to reading all of this. Though, it will hit close to home for me as well, since I lost my grandmother to cancer back in 07.
I love Corbin's groupies! It kind of made me think of that scene in one of the Indiana Jones movies where all of his female students are swooning over him. And one of them has "love" and "you" written on her eyelids!
ReplyDeleteI definitely didn't see Nessa's storyline coming! I went back to read Jodie's story though and I went "Ohhhh". I read that line and I don't think it occurred to me that it might actually come into play. Not sure why.
But I'm looking forward to seeing how you spin this. It's a heavy topic for sure and one that hits close to home for a lot of people (myself included). I'm curious to read about the gameplay stuff that inspired this too but I'll wait patiently. ;)
Was this the scene you were talking about on Twitter or is that still to come?
This is a great topic for you to deal with - I'm sure that you can do it. And it's definitely not drama-mongering.
ReplyDeleteCorbin's groupies are so funny! I agree with Carla.
Actually I think this is a good balance to the Amelia story-line. I'm not sure why, but it feels right.
Riverdale, I know, you'd think he was a rock star rather than a fitness instructor, lol!
ReplyDeleteOh no! Was yours brought on by gameplay or storytelling or something else? I look forward to seeing what you do with yours too. Good luck to both of us then!
Carla, lol! And I've had Indiana Jones on the brain lately too! Which movie was that in?
Oh wow, so I actually surprised one of you! Hmmm, talking about on Twitter? If you mean, the one I loved but my readers would hate? No, that's a different one. Though I guess this qualifies too, lol! The one I was writing about on Twitter though is more inspiring and joyful than this - joy and tragedy in the same breath - and that's why I love it. I'll let you know when it happens.
Kiri, there could be a perfectly logical reason why this feels tied to Amelia's story ;)
I'm going to be frank and say that I'm not entirely certain if I'll read this particular storyline further - yet. I don't know, given how it's October and the darned C-word appears just about everywhere, I might come back and read them in November when the dust has settled a little :)
ReplyDeleteThat said, if anyone's going to do this storyline - it really should be you, because I know you'll do it justice. I just don't know if I'll manage to read it just when you post it, but we'll see, maybe I'll surprise myself by being willing to "go there" too? :)
It was nice to see Corbin again, at least he's one of your characters that aren't currently making me want to hit my head against the wall (long story short; I'm a bit miffed with Amelia (yeah, I'm weird like that :P) at the moment), though I really miss sweet little Melissa, she had her troubles, but yeah... (Now watch as you go and get her knocked up or something! :P)
Vilde, I guess I should have known it was Breast Cancer month, but I totally didn't, lol! I've been sick and hidden in my own bubble these past couple weeks. I totally didn't mean any correlations between the two - this storyline has been planned/written for a good long time now, and most of the story will take place long after this month is over.
ReplyDeleteBut I totally understand if you (or anyone, for that matter) can't "go there" for this topic. (In fact, I'm sure I've probably written other topics that made people squeamish as well.) But for the record, I am going to be telling this storyline at quite some distance, so a lot of it might be safe. And unfortunately, it ties into a lot of other ongoing storylines too, so it also might be hard to avoid :\
Sorry, I don't write shiny-happy stories. I know it's not everybody's cup of tea. I write about the things that fascinate and disturb me, and this apparently is one of them.
But LOL, it probably won't be long then before Corbin does something to piss you off - that seems to be my luck, huh? ;) I miss Melissa too. She is very sweet, and doesn't have a whole lot going on right now, lol! Things will pick up for her around the spring though.
Laura, it was in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Had to Google that, because I couldn't remember! Now I kind of want to watch those movies again. I haven't seen them for years.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, that's the tweet I meant, because I could see how one might think people would be torn on this particular storyline.
I really want to see how you do this storyline. Doing illnesses like this is always a rough decision so I'm really intrigued to see how you handle it.
ReplyDelete:( I wondered if Nessa was sick after Jodie's post and when I remembered that she was in the waiting room that day Beau and April were there. I'm very interested in finding out what inspired the storyline!
ReplyDeleteHa, Corbin can't help attracting groupies wherever he goes. I'm sure they're very disappointed that he was wearing that full gymsuit instead of just his yoga pants. ;)
Don't be sorry for the stories you write, I love them all, and likely I'll love this one too. But I might catch up in November when the C-word is no longer seen/heard as frequently as the F-bomb :P
ReplyDeleteOr likely I'll just read them anyway, it's not like it's the first time I've read stories dealing with the matter :) It's just a very hit and miss thing when I feel in the mood to read one deliberately, but at least I know to expect it popping up in future stories which is far better than having it suddenly appear in an otherwise happy story or something :)
But yeah, don't worry about warnings, the story or anything, I think for most people reading about it is one of the things that help you cope. But that some might come back and read bit by bit as they deal with it rather than swallowing it up in one big gulp.
And to bring things to a happier, non-sims related topic; I texted him. Hopefully you get who I mean, but yeah, I'd totally forgotten how awesome I am at "out of the blue" texts :P
Oh, look at me lying, Corbin did tell Justin she was married. This story is so freaking long I'm forgetting all my details! I need to finish my story tags so I can study up more often, lol!
ReplyDeleteCarla, thanks for finding which one it was! I totally need to study up on them again, since I'm referencing them all over my novel, lol!
Heredon, lol, you guys are making me nervous!
Shana, wow, gold stars for noticing Nessa all the way back in Beau and April's story!!! I always put little things like that in there, but then wonder if anyone ever catches it, lol! So glad to see that you did! :)
And apparently inspired by that disappointing gymsuit, Corbin will be experiencing a severe lack of clothing in his next update, lol! Seriously, it's December and the poor guy must be freezing for what I've done to him! ;)
Vilde, oh yay! Congrats on the random texting!!! Somebody's got to make the first move, so way to go! Hopefully this is the first of many happy communications to come! :)
Intrigued to see where this sotryline goes, but you introduced it very well, and this was a great, believable and well-staged update.
ReplyDeleteThe image of Jack thinking Corbin is trying to pick him up is the funnest thing I've thought about all day.
ReplyDeleteI know some people might be put off by a cancer storyline but as long as certain messages or inputs of getting checked is inserted or not too obvious(like they were in my soap opera two or three nights ago) then they're fine. As long as the story doesn't go to being one of those cancer stories if it wasn't already.
The Ballerina Stalker makes me lol. Back in eight grade my math teacher was quite the hunk and me and most girls would leave things in his class just to go back or fake that they needed extra help just to see him again. Some were more vocal about their likes.
I remember he used to play basketball with some of the guys on the school court and he took his shirt off once. It sounded like a Backstreet Boys concert.
I would probably be worser than Ballerina Stalker if I went to LCU.
Rad, thank you! :)
ReplyDeleteVictoria, lol, glad to amuse! ;) As much as I encourage everybody to check their boobies, I certainly don't plan on turning my story into a public service announcement, so no worries there! This will be no more a "cancer story" than it is a "war story" or any other number of things my characters have to deal with.
I'm jealous! I never had a hot teacher in high school. Did have a couple hot professors in uni though, lol!